Author Topic: JTA to open No Frills Brooklyn Skyway Station  (Read 2565 times)

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
Re: JTA to open No Frills Brooklyn Skyway Station
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2020, 03:42:21 PM »
Any updates on this construction, two months later? The original articles quoted July for opening...

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2020, 02:29:22 PM »
Putting together a construction update soon. I haven't seen any work on this yet but I'll verify over the weekend.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Ken_FSU

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2020, 02:56:01 PM »
Any updates on this construction, two months later? The original articles quoted July for opening...

Construction and July opening was contingent on JTA receiving about $750k in federal funding through a State of Good Repair grant that they applied for.

If JTA received the grant, it hasn't been announced publicly.

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2020, 06:03:53 PM »
Cool thanks for the replies guys!

Ken_FSU

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2020, 06:50:19 PM »
For what it’s worth, it looked like they were testing trains near between Brooklyn and downtown today. Didn’t look like they were going in for repair, but rather in and out. Could be something, could be nothing. Can’t wait for that extension.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2020, 11:02:41 AM »

I'd venture they have some requirements for testing certain things.  There's probably some tests that they can perform as part of their operations.    That is to say, their normal operations confirm XYZ is properly functioning every month or quarter or whatever the requirement.

Since they're not running, they probably need to perform these tests to meet these regulations.  Not entirely sure.  Just a guess.

jaxjaguar

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2020, 04:33:54 PM »
Lake, I wanted to get your thoughts on an idea I had...

Since budget is too tight to extend the skyway, what are your thoughts on demoing the east half of Rosa Parks station (just the bus terminals and lot). Then donating the land to FSCJ with tax incentive to build mixed use midrise that included student housing? To the best of my knowledge the conversion across from 11E has been successful, and that location would be a great spot for someone looking to work downtown, part time, while going to school, without needing a vehicle.

A skybridge could also be built to connect the station to the other side of State Street further connecting the 3 structures. This would essentially give the skyway an additional hub without huge cost via public/private partnership.

My biggest concern would be the proximity of the City Rescue Mission... Not sure how difficult it would be to convince them to move closer to the Clara White Mission if some funding and land was thrown there way. That building is pretty nice and in good proximity to FSCJ too. I feel like with minimal funding it could also be converted to better use, if more incentives were used.

Do you think that sounds rational/remotely financially feasible?

Charles Hunter

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2020, 04:55:20 PM »
Doesn't JTA plan to sell that land for a TOD?
Maybe a developer will pick up your idea and run with it.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2020, 06:19:02 PM »
^Yes, JTA plans to this to be TOD.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxjaguar

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2020, 11:12:36 PM »
Oh I didn't realize there were already plans to sell. Well hopefully there's an investor looking to do something better than a surface parking lot...