Author Topic: Berkman Getting Close....Again  (Read 12850 times)

acme54321

Re: Berkman Getting Close....Again
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2021, 11:59:57 AM »
My bet is that since that part of the road is classified as a bridge that the full concrete wall has something to do with the requirements of that classification.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2021, 12:09:32 PM »
^Market Street isn't classified as a bridge. The riverwalk portion on Market Street is essentially a sidewalk. Another trick that could have been used would be to reduce the road width, in favor of a wider riverwalk. More space would alter the sight lines when seated.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 12:16:34 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Ken_FSU

« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2021, 08:24:39 PM »
The city being hostile to a local developer while simultaneously burning national firms with yet another RFP that they probably don’t intent to follow through on and that will probably go nowhere?

Cool!

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/three-bids-made-for-berkman-ii-demolition-order

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2021, 08:26:36 PM »
Lol same ole same ole!
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2021, 11:12:34 AM »
Apparently crews are beginning demolition today. Unclear whether it’s the city or the developer.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

WarDamJagFan

« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2021, 12:50:54 PM »
The city being hostile to a local developer while simultaneously burning national firms with yet another RFP that they probably don’t intent to follow through on and that will probably go nowhere?

Cool!

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/three-bids-made-for-berkman-ii-demolition-order

I can see it now... 'After the COJ Procurement Division and Brian Hughes issued conflicting messages, everyone has yet again walked away from the Berkman project leaving its future in limbo for another 15 years'

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2021, 06:13:55 PM »
Demolition?  Call 1-800-Curry.  Yes, we won't recognize downtown - it will all be demolished.  Can't believe he restated the quote below.;D  Really out of touch.  One demo out of many that is actually justified.  Congrats, Mayor.

Mayor Lenny Curry tweeted Tuesday morning that the demolition crews were on the ground preparing to take down the “13-year-old eyesore.”

“I promised you wouldn’t recognize downtown, the transformation continues,” Curry tweeted.

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2021, 07:03:00 PM »
Apparently it is in fact the developer’s demolition crew that began work today.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2021, 07:07:44 PM »
Count me as one happy to see it gone... should have been demolished years ago...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Ken_FSU

« Reply #99 on: April 27, 2021, 07:30:57 PM »
News conference in the AM.

Fingers crossed this thing actually happens.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2021, 07:53:42 PM »
The developer and CM Gaffney were on the news discussing this project on Sunday. It will be interesting to see what's planned.

jaxjags

« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2021, 11:49:22 AM »
After reading this article, my anger with Curry and his administration continues to increase daily. You have a developer doing demolition work and you still wont remove your own demo order? Please just get out of the way. If I was a developer and read this article I would be asking " how far is it to Orlando".

acme54321

« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2021, 12:50:24 PM »
If this was happening right at the start of the mayor's tenure everyone would have been cheering him.  He's don't some seemingly dumb stuff but I don't see the problem with this.  I also don't have a problem with the city strong arming the developer because how long has thing been getting kicked around with all sorts of crazy plans?  Either the owner knocks it down or the city will do it and put a lien on the property.  That will light a fire in someone's pants.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2021, 12:53:33 PM »
News conference in the AM.

Fingers crossed this thing actually happens.

Did this happen? What exactly is proposed? Did they show any renderings or provide a timeline?

vicupstate

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln