Author Topic: Berkman Getting Close....Again  (Read 5955 times)

Ken_FSU

Re: Berkman Getting Close....Again
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2020, 03:52:58 PM »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2020, 04:46:57 PM »
Well thank god we are gonna preserve it for the game...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

fhrathore

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2020, 06:21:57 PM »
Do we know what has been proposed on the site after demolition?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2020, 06:45:58 PM »
From the linked article above:

Jacksonville Riverfront Revitalization intends to redevelop the property with mixed-use retail, a 300-unit residential development and public park space.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

fhrathore

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2020, 06:56:50 PM »
From the linked article above:

Jacksonville Riverfront Revitalization intends to redevelop the property with mixed-use retail, a 300-unit residential development and public park space.

I see. But I assume there are no publicly available info in terms of design or images.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2020, 07:41:32 PM »
Nothing concrete! Here is a conceptual rendering that was shown last month:

https://news.wjct.org/post/potential-buyers-want-demolish-unfinished-berkman-ii-redevelop-property

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2020, 07:49:50 PM »
Nothing concrete!

I would agree. Probably just a grass and dirt "park" for the foreseeable future  ;)

downtownbrown

« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2020, 03:04:59 PM »
Nothing concrete!

I would agree. Probably just a grass and dirt "park" for the foreseeable future  ;)

....which would be awesome...

albert_m2

« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2020, 11:14:41 AM »
Why is it more efficient to tear down what is there instead of finishing/adapting with what is a substantial amount of structure..?

Sorry if I missed it, but I am confused.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2020, 09:25:18 PM »
One man's trash is another one's treasure. Although the shell appears to be structurally sound, it really depends on the buyer and the product they seek to do.  The previous buyer planned to finish/adapt the existing structure. The current buyer does not.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2020, 11:47:27 AM »

Consider the original garage structure wasn't supposed to collapse and yet the garage did.  Do you really want to roll the dice that the same builders somehow got it perfectly right on the remaining tower?

Throw in the high cost of high rises and a small market overall and little obvious demand for that location and.... ya, not the sort of thing most people want to undertake.

Keep in mind that there there are 2 residential high rises going up right now.  One over in Brooklyn and the other on the south bank next to the Acosta.   I suspect the nail in the coffin is the poor location of the tower.

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2020, 12:13:00 PM »
Should we really consider 7 stories high rise, in the case of the Southbank?
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

jaxjags

« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2020, 07:07:52 PM »

Consider the original garage structure wasn't supposed to collapse and yet the garage did.  Do you really want to roll the dice that the same builders somehow got it perfectly right on the remaining tower?

Throw in the high cost of high rises and a small market overall and little obvious demand for that location and.... ya, not the sort of thing most people want to undertake.

Keep in mind that there there are 2 residential high rises going up right now.  One over in Brooklyn and the other on the south bank next to the Acosta.   I suspect the nail in the coffin is the poor location of the tower.

Just to be clear the garage was designed by a different engineer and being built by a completely different contractor.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2020, 11:38:23 AM »
yes, 7 stories is a high rise

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2020, 01:17:54 PM »
the National Fire Protection Association defines a high-rise as being higher than 75 feet (23 meters), or about 7 stories.