Author Topic: Vibrant urban waterfronts: The Detroit River  (Read 428 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Vibrant urban waterfronts: The Detroit River
« on: March 03, 2020, 08:34:58 AM »

Modern Cities takes a visual walk through a revitalizing urban riverfront: The Detroit International Riverwalk

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/vibrant-urban-waterfronts-the-detroit-river/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Adam White

• Facebook
Re: Vibrant urban waterfronts: The Detroit River
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 11:35:59 AM »
I got to be honest, Lake - the pics don't make it seem that vibrant.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Peter Griffin

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 12:40:53 PM »
I've got a lot of respect for the turnaround of Detroit. I visited there as a kid in the early 2000's and MAN it was a rough city. It looks to be turning around but seems to be in a similar state to Jax with a little bit more notoriety/fame and economic power behind it. Detroit's fall from grace was much farther than Jax's considering Jax never quite rose to the height that Detroit did during the post-WWII auto boom.

It's funny to see that we have a very comparable ridership on our people mover, too. Skyway is about 5,000/day, the article lists Detroit's as 5,300. Seems like monorails seem to work best in Disney and MCO. What about Central Florida makes monorails so much more attractive? /s

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 01:51:38 PM »

I included areas where the riverwalk has been extended to that also happen to be far outside of downtown. They have a tendency to get infrastructure in place and then infill adjacent redevelopment sites with active uses when the opportunity presents themselves as opposed to doing nothing until hundreds of millions are in hand. Here's a few more images from the riverwalk in the downtown area. It's a great example of designing a trail in a manner where many uses take place within the space itself. As Detroit continues to revitalize with new infill development, it will increase in popularity and use.

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 02:45:15 PM »
Lake, any idea how much of the waterfront improvements are the result of public-private partnerships or corporate donations?  E.g., I presume the splash fountain and plaza in front of the Renaissance Center was at least in part a GM donation.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 03:41:52 PM »
GM constructed the splash fountain and plaza as a part of its renovation of the Renaissance Center into its global headquarters. When they were completed in 2004, GM donated them to the Detroit Riverfront Conservancy. This space served as the kickoff for the riverwalk project. The equivalent would be CSX or Fidelity doing something similar with the spaces between their headquarters along the Northbank Riverwalk and then donating those improvements to the City of Jacksonville or a local non profit conservancy.

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 03:53:20 PM »
^ This sounds very much like an idea whose time has come. 
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 05:41:20 AM »

I included areas where the riverwalk has been extended to that also happen to be far outside of downtown. They have a tendency to get infrastructure in place and then infill adjacent redevelopment sites with active uses when the opportunity presents themselves as opposed to doing nothing until hundreds of millions are in hand. Here's a few more images from the riverwalk in the downtown area. It's a great example of designing a trail in a manner where many uses take place within the space itself. As Detroit continues to revitalize with new infill development, it will increase in popularity and use.

Thanks for the response. That makes a lot of sense. It seems like coming up with a plan and sticking to it probably is the way to approach things like this.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”