Author Topic: City might use design competition for future vision of Landing site  (Read 1947 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Not surprising. Millions spent but still no solid plan or money budgeted towards a resolution any time soon. We're coming up on a full year of dead space now, so another conceptual visioning process could take place in upcoming months.

Full article: https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20200221/city-might-use-design-competition-for-future-vision-of-landing-site-post-demolition
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

bl8jaxnative

Re: City might use design competition for future vision of Landing site
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 09:46:47 AM »
That space was dead long, long, long ago.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 10:18:50 AM »
That space was dead long, long, long ago.

It was less dead before we spent $32 million on it, and counting.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 10:19:42 AM »
Not surprising. Millions spent but still no solid plan or money budgeted towards a resolution any time soon. We're coming up on a full year of dead space now, so another conceptual visioning process could take place in upcoming months.

Full article: https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20200221/city-might-use-design-competition-for-future-vision-of-landing-site-post-demolition

This should be all the evidence people need to stop doing these wasteful things.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Ken_FSU

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 12:22:00 PM »
Just quickly appreciating the delightful fact that Toney Sleiman loved the Wakefield Beasley concept with the two six-story buildings and public space and was ready to partner with the city and pump millions of private dollars into it, but instead, we buy Sleiman out for $15 million (plus the parking settlement), knock down the Landing for another few million, and decide, “Shit, that Wakefield Beasley concept was pretty good after all, let’s use that.”

Silver lining, just based on reading this article, is that hopefully Boyer isn’t married to Lenny’s Lawn if she’s referencing the much better Beasley design as inspiration. Sounds like she’s open to adding the chef-driven riverfront restaurants and cafes absent from the Lawn plan back into whatever happens at the Landing. Two pads for mid-rise, open space in the middle, and restaurants/cafes/public art installations along the river is a lot better than what was proposed by Curry. Will still take much too long and cost way too much, but at least it would be a denser, more attractive space.

Bill Hoff

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 01:51:46 PM »
Wait.....are you saying that the public Landing design charette that I participated in back in 2015 was a waste of time? That was two hours of my valuable time!

But seriously, being at the former Landing site the other day really makes you realize what potential it has. If COJ gets it right, it could be a landmark/icon/focal point that people value.

Ken_FSU

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 03:05:15 PM »
Here are the sketches of the 2015 Wakefield Beasley plan that Lori Boyer is referencing in terms of reducing the footprint of the two main buildings, keeping the riverfront restaurants/cafes, and having the greenspace interface with the Times-Union Center.

Such a smarter use of the space than what Curry floated.

Would not be at all opposed to sticking with this plan and foregoing yet another design competition.

What's gone is gone, but the economy is going to turn eventually, and we need to have some urgency with the Landing.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 03:21:20 PM »
If the plan is to stick with the 2015 plan just RFP the development sites and pony up the cash to fund the public space. No need to keep having design comps now.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 03:14:57 PM »
Wait.....are you saying that the public Landing design charette that I participated in back in 2015 was a waste of time? That was two hours of my valuable time!

But seriously, being at the former Landing site the other day really makes you realize what potential it has. If COJ gets it right, it could be a landmark/icon/focal point that people value.
I agree Bill; didn't know that you played a part in the concept/vision of the future site. Judging from what I've read, and the despicable tearing down and wrecking ball of the Landing/Landing site, as of late, and as of even a few years ago, I've come to the conclusion that our City Leaders, especially at present, have no vision, focus, imagination, or planning acumen whatsoever......NONE! I agree with you Bill, and haven't physically seen the horrendous wreck and debris of the site as of late, however, from the photos I've seen, and remembering the site as it was before the Landing was even built (I lived in Jax at the time), that is in fact a prime piece of property; and, the City of Jax, and that site deserseves something much better that is being planned. In my opinion whatever goes there, on the riverfront (prime property), should be iconic, public driven, commercial, and residential rolled into one. No, don't have to be a skyscraper or skyscrapers which as a "height" fan, I would prefer, but it should be something that the citizens of Jax and Duval can be driven and attracted to and enjoy (including residential), and that when people drive through downtown via I-95 whether local or out of towners, they will be attracted to it via visual appeal at first and will want to stop. Bad, bad thing that was done to the Landing, and horrible thing that has happened to the property and the resulting "fumbling of the football" by City Leaders (Boyer and Curry in particular). Hope there's a change of mind and heart and something intense, stunning, and mind boggling is finally chosen and goes there.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

heights unknown

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 03:23:25 PM »
Here are the sketches of the 2015 Wakefield Beasley plan that Lori Boyer is referencing in terms of reducing the footprint of the two main buildings, keeping the riverfront restaurants/cafes, and having the greenspace interface with the Times-Union Center.

Such a smarter use of the space than what Curry floated.

Would not be at all opposed to sticking with this plan and foregoing yet another design competition.

What's gone is gone, but the economy is going to turn eventually, and we need to have some urgency with the Landing.

I had forgot about this rendering/conceptual design sketches; I love it. I agree wholeheartedly Ken. THIS would be THE thing that SHOULD go there. If chosen, this would probably be one up on THE JACSONVILLE LANDING that was there before...in my opinion; would all depend on the City, again, not fumbling the football and ensuring that we get ALL CONCERNED, that is, relative to residents, companies, vendors, etc., to buy into it and will want to be THERE. I hope this, in all of its fullness and what is sketched, is chosen and comes to fruition. And yes, we need to move now and move quickly; the market might soon downturn and we don't want to miss this critical "window of opportunity."
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

heights unknown

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 03:26:42 PM »
IMO, and from what I see, THIS could be a game changer for the Northbank Riverfront and downtown Jax. COULD be, I said; it all depends on our inept City/Government Leaders. Let's see what happens.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2020, 03:33:01 PM »
If not for a bad and expensive political statement five years ago, that 2015 plan could have been built by now.

heights unknown

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 07:50:49 AM »
If not for a bad and expensive political statement five years ago, that 2015 plan could have been built by now.
I agree Lake; and again it points to our Leaders, whether former or current. Will someone please get a crowbar and get their heads out of their sphincters?

avonjax

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2020, 08:22:30 PM »
and Curry's plan is garbage. He's completely at fault for this pile of crap.

marcuscnelson

• Generation Z - Totally Screwed
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2020, 04:47:38 PM »

Well…