Author Topic: Overland Bridge Fountains  (Read 871 times)

Captain Zissou

Overland Bridge Fountains
« on: February 21, 2020, 09:38:07 AM »
Around Thanksgiving the city installed what look like fountains in the retention ponds near the I-95/Atlantic/Phillips interchanges.  They planted magnolia, cypress, and other great trees around the ponds to enhance their appearance.  3 months later and the fountains have never been turned on.  A number of ducks look like they're spending the winter in these ponds (i've seen Hooded Mergansers, ruddy ducks, and what look like common mergansers), but I don't think the city would delay turning on the fountains because of the impact to the ducks. 

Anybody know what's going on here?

vicupstate

Re: Overland Bridge Fountains
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 10:26:51 AM »
^^ Those fountains probably caught the same fountain disease that kept Friendship Fountain non-functioning most of its existence.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

acme54321

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 11:05:58 AM »
It's not the city it's FDOT doing landscape as the final piece of the overland bridge. 

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 11:15:40 AM »
In fairness, I believe the landscaping contract work is still technically ongoing. For larger projects FDOT issues a landscape contract completely separate from the construction contract.

tufsu1

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 05:37:21 PM »
In fairness, I believe the landscaping contract work is still technically ongoing. For larger projects FDOT issues a landscape contract completely separate from the construction contract.

correct - they often do the landscape installation 1-2 years after construction is completed

Live_Oak

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 09:15:12 AM »
Fountains are on, with lights changing colors at night. Not bad, FDOT.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 09:27:50 AM »
Fountains are on, with lights changing colors at night. Not bad, FDOT.
They are pretty good.  We'll see how long they stay working, but those ponds are looking better than most retention ponds in the area.  There seems to be a path pretty worn into the grass around the path fronting Atlantic.  I'd love to see an actual path put in and some denser tree cover, but it's a good start.  I can't tell if the very sparse cattails were planted or just arrived naturally.