Author Topic: The Sears at the Orange Park Mall is closing.  (Read 473 times)

I-10east

Re: The Sears at the Orange Park Mall is closing.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 09:12:56 PM »
It's gonna be very interesting to see what Orange Park Mall & the Avenues will do concerning the closed Sears in the future. Losing a department store is definitely not an 'insurmountable" issue.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 09:22:04 PM »
As I recall, Sears owned their store building (and some of the parking lot) at Regency Mall. Do they also own the OP and Avenues sites?

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 07:16:33 AM »
As I recall, Sears owned their store building (and some of the parking lot) at Regency Mall. Do they also own the OP and Avenues sites?

They owned Regency and OP, leased Avenues.

With the round of closures in December when the Avenues store closed, I think all of those closures nationally were leased locations.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 08:57:08 AM »
So which former Sears building gets occupied first? Regency, Avenues or Orange Park?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 09:41:40 AM »
So which former Sears building gets occupied first? Regency, Avenues or Orange Park?

Depends on which mall is willing to consider something different first? It won't be a traditional department store.

Orange Park and Regency likely have the advantage of site visibility as you can see the Sears from Blanding Blvd and Arlington Expressway, Respectively. But, both Regency and OP are company owned, which is a challenge. Part of my job is to understand large retailers, yet it doesn't seem like even Eddie Lampert at Sears understands what they're doing with their owned stores.