Author Topic: Jacksonville's early black architects  (Read 305 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Jacksonville's early black architects
« on: February 17, 2020, 08:27:24 AM »

Modern Cities highlights the forgotten story of early Jacksonville's black architects. The presentation by Ennis Davis, AICP took place on February 15, 2020 at the Durkeeville Historical Society.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/jacksonvilles-early-black-architects/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Wacca Pilatka

Re: Jacksonville's early black architects
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 12:18:19 PM »
This is phenomenal, Lake.  Thank you.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Ken_FSU

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 09:08:36 AM »
Really great piece (with some amazing photography that I've never seen anywhere else) that deserves more views than I suspect it will get.

Lake, please consider changing the article title to "Best 10 Submarine Sandwiches in Jacksonville."

Live_Oak

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 09:27:13 AM »
The last sentence on the first page looks to be cut off.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 10:19:39 AM »
Just took a look. It was a broken link at the end of the first page. That link is fixed now.

Thanks for the comments Ken_FSU and Wacca Pilatka. Glad you enjoyed the presentation.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Ken_FSU

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 10:33:20 AM »
Thanks for the comments Ken_FSU and Wacca Pilatka. Glad you enjoyed the presentation.

Sure thing! It was fantastic.

I like to consider myself a fairly educated guy, and I had never ever heard of redlining before.

Insane how something that so few people seem to be aware of has had so much of an impact on our communities.

Scary to actually see the maps, too.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 12:27:05 PM »
So cool.

One thing I noticed in the article - the three pictures in the Blodgett section of the article are the same. Was that intentional or are there other examples of his work that were intended to be shown?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 01:02:03 PM »
Showing 1327 Steele Street was intentional. There aren't many structures left that are officially credited to Blodgett. The four structures on the second Blodgett slide is four of them. Using 1327 Steele Street as an example, the third and fourth Blodgett slides show additional nearby houses with identical facades, likely meaning they could be related to Blodgett as well. The additional address were sent to the city's Historic Preservation Office in hopes of confirming any previously unknown or forgotten ties.