Author Topic: Urban Construction Update - January 2020  (Read 6451 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Urban Construction Update - January 2020
« on: January 27, 2020, 08:25:52 AM »

Here is a brief look at the status of various developments under construction in and around Downtown Jacksonville in January 2020.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/urban-construction-update-january-2020/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

JaxAvondale

Re: Urban Construction Update - January 2020
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 11:35:45 AM »
Brooklyn Vista may be the rare project that finishes on time.

Bill Hoff

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 12:44:06 PM »
Not listed, Reddi-Arts is moving forward with their move to 1731 N. Main Street.

And next door, Bad Axe is moving forward with their opening of at 1719 N. Main St.

Both are scheduled to open this Spring.

Also, Klutho & Schell parks are getting some much needed renovations. There are/were many "sidewalks to no where" in the parks that have either just been removed or are in the process of being removed now, then a dilapidated basket court is being removed, with a new playground replacing it. The work is scheduled to be completed in stages, finished totally in May.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 01:49:00 PM »
Are they replacing the basketball court? I've noticed on several occasions that it is being used by kids in the neighborhood.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Bill Hoff

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 02:52:46 PM »
Are they replacing the basketball court? I've noticed on several occasions that it is being used by kids in the neighborhood.

There are 2 courts in Schell Park. One is falling apart. They're removing it and replacing it with a playground. The other basketball court in Schell Park will remain.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 03:53:09 PM by Bill Hoff »

JBTripper

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 03:59:57 PM »
Is the 10,000 sq ft of retail space still part of the plan for San Marco Promenade? It doesn't look to be part of Phase I.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 04:38:21 PM »
I hate to pick nits (that's a lie, I love to! :D), but the street address for #21 (4555 St. Johns) doesn't match the photo in the article.  4555 is west of Roosevelt, the pic looks like it is in the Avondale shopping area.

Ken_FSU

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 04:45:07 PM »
Ventures appears to be moving forward with their apartments on the Southbank, beside the Aetna building.

This was the one that was reduced from 13-stories/300 units to 8-stories/184 units after pushback from surrounding businesses.

$1.7 million permit to begin on the foundation approved on Friday, with permitting for vertical construction currently under review by the city.

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2020/01/27/southbank-riverfront-apartments-take-first-step.html?iana=hpmvp_jac_news_headline

Ken_FSU

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 04:50:14 PM »
Anyone know if Vagabond is still planning to open a larger coffee shop in the Barnett?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 05:08:12 PM »

There are 2 courts in Schell Park. One is falling apart. They're removing it and replacing it with a playground. The other basketball court in Schell Park will remain.

Nice! Sounds like a real improvement that's long overdue.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 05:09:30 PM »
Ventures appears to be moving forward with their apartments on the Southbank, beside the Aetna building.

This was the one that was reduced from 13-stories/300 units to 8-stories/184 units after pushback from surrounding businesses.

$1.7 million permit to begin on the foundation approved on Friday, with permitting for vertical construction currently under review by the city.

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2020/01/27/southbank-riverfront-apartments-take-first-step.html?iana=hpmvp_jac_news_headline

Great! This was one I wasn't for sure if it ever materialize or not.

jagsonville

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 06:21:05 PM »
Is the 10,000 sq ft of retail space still part of the plan for San Marco Promenade? It doesn't look to be part of Phase I.

Looks like no, at least not until additional apartments are built on the site.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/planning-commission-access-to-proposed-arlington-wawa-eased-san-marco-promenade-pursues-second-phase%3famp

Bill Hoff

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 11:47:46 PM »

Nice! Sounds like a real improvement that's long overdue.

Unfortunately, I don't foresee a playground in that specific location being used frequently. But, it'll be nice to have the sidewalks to nowhere removed.

Bill Hoff

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2020, 03:00:00 PM »

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 12:20:28 AM »
A few comments:

I noticed this week a new 2 story building going up on the corner of Park and I believe either Roselle Street or Edison Avenue but no sign for what it is.  Anyone know?

The Dr. Horace Drew Mansion is a really interesting structure and looks like the perfect house for a Hollywood movie, like Knives Out, maybe  8).

The Myrtle Avenue picture of houses doesn't match up to the soccer field structure.

Thanks for all the updates.