Author Topic: Abandoned Times Union building status?  (Read 1304 times)

Tacachale

• Administrator
Re: Abandoned Times Union building status?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2020, 09:03:09 AM »
It didn't help that the City sold the turn about through May/Lelila Streets across Riverside Avenue that gave access to this property with a stop light from Acosta Bridge ramp traffic to a strip center developer.  Another short sighted move by our City leaders.  Morris Family was asleep at the wheel to let that go through.

Also, looking a the Google aerials, I believe the office building part of the complex does not sit directly above McCoy's Creek.  It looks like it is the connector from that building to the printing plant that covers the creek along with some grade level greenery.  However, they want to widen McCoy's Creek when they open it up so the office building would surely have to go at that point as it appears to run very close to the edge of the current waterway.

Along with the McCoy's Creek restoration through the middle of the property and the Riverside Avenue access issue, I understand there are are also complexities arising from dealing with the Riverwalk, submerged land use on the river side of the Riverwalk and the adjacent railroad making this site a bit trickier than most to plan out.  No idea if there are any environmental issues to layer on top of those.  But, being in "hot" Brooklyn and privately owned, I bet it gets developed before most or all of the riverfront on the Downtown Northbank that is owned by the world's most incompetent developer, the City of Jacksonville.

That weird jug handle thing was a waste of developable land. It needed to go. The site is perfectly accessible to all but semis without it.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Captain Zissou

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2020, 09:16:31 AM »
It's still a very large site.  You could put multiple FIS headquarters on the property and have room to rework the infrastructure to accommodate traffic.  There are plenty of constraints to deal with, but i think the prime location and size will bring out some creative developers to maximize the space.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2020, 10:34:49 AM »
It didn't help that the City sold the turn about through May/Lelila Streets across Riverside Avenue that gave access to this property with a stop light from Acosta Bridge ramp traffic to a strip center developer.  Another short sighted move by our City leaders.  Morris Family was asleep at the wheel to let that go through.

I'm fine with the development - the jug handle was a waste of land.

Now, I do acknowledge your point that if a ton of traffic comes from the Acosta Bridge and needs to make a left on Leila that it will create an issue. There's a much better solution to this - replicate the traffic light that's at the intersection of NB Broad Street at Bay Street - there's a "split phase" (not a traffic engineer, don't know the proper term) so that the cars from Broad Street can safely make a left turn, and if Bay street was two way, the cars from the Acosta could conceivably make a right turn as well. While that area is really jacked up because of the Acosta ramps, that one aspect does function well and is, by itself, safe for pedestrians.

Side Note: I tried explaining that point to Paul Crawford when he was at JEDC a few years back and he couldn't get past the rest of the Acosta ramps and look at that one intersection for what it is!

sandyshoes

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2020, 05:58:27 PM »
Some people complained (I believe it was early in this thread) that this building was an eyesore...straight from the 1960s.  That's what makes it beautiful - it is straight out of another era.  If it's structurally sound - ok, never mind.  That doesn't carry the weight it used to.
I guess it's just another greenspace waiting to be born.