Author Topic: Doro Fixture Site to be demolished, replaced with Apartments/Retail  (Read 17130 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Doro Fixture Site to be demolished, replaced with Apartments/Retail
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2020, 09:32:09 AM »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2020, 11:48:20 AM »
I see this project as a "canary in the coal mine" for Lot J.  If Lot J can't break ground in less than 3 years, it would seem prudent to me to evaluate its feasibility after the Doro is on-line.  If Doro were to fail or under-perform, I would think that would give the Lot J team some serious pause.

Given all the options now available or in progress in the urban core, I am trying to figure out why someone would want to live near the isolated and desolate stadium complex, still in proximity to significant industrial activity, vs. on the river, in Brooklyn/Riverside, San Marco, Springfield or the heart of Downtown.  From what I see of Lot J, I don't think that, by itself, it is going to fix those issues.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Captain Zissou

« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2020, 08:54:28 PM »
The developer intends to start construction immediately after demolition.  If that happens, I'll be happy to have this project in downtown and I hope it will set the precedent for future projects.  Shame to lose the existing structures, but to not have an empty site is a small victory. 

Zac T

« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2020, 10:12:00 PM »
I see this project as a "canary in the coal mine" for Lot J.  If Lot J can't break ground in less than 3 years, it would seem prudent to me to evaluate its feasibility after the Doro is on-line.  If Doro were to fail or under-perform, I would think that would give the Lot J team some serious pause.

Given all the options now available or in progress in the urban core, I am trying to figure out why someone would want to live near the isolated and desolate stadium complex, still in proximity to significant industrial activity, vs. on the river, in Brooklyn/Riverside, San Marco, Springfield or the heart of Downtown.  From what I see of Lot J, I don't think that, by itself, it is going to fix those issues.

I think you'd be surprised at where people choose to live

RiversideRambler

« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2020, 10:54:48 AM »

I think you'd be surprised at where people choose to live

And if they choose to live in the parking lot of a stadium, I will be very surprised. How many days a year will living next to a stadium be a nightmare?

jaxjags

« Reply #96 on: December 10, 2020, 01:41:53 PM »
Not sure about that. Young people love leaving in areas that are busy, offers a couple "local places" to hang out and sporting events. Noise is not a problem. Periodic events at the sports district will not be much different on your life, than living in say in DC, SF,  NYC or even Midtown/Peachtree Street in ATL (all pre-Covid). They want that in other cities and thinking about it, the Sports District may be the only place in DT area of Jax to offer that today.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #97 on: December 10, 2020, 01:58:50 PM »
^ There is also the issue of rents charged.  We will see what they are in relation to the value of living by the stadium.  Would anyone pay a premium to live there as I don't expect the Jags to be the "low price leader?"

sandyshoes

« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2020, 08:50:43 AM »
Reply to #96:  Agreed;  just think of all the people who purposely live along any Mardi-Gras route in New Orleans!  It might be fun for about an hour, but personally would not want to reside in all that mayhem.  Not even for beads. 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2021, 09:58:56 AM »
While I hate seeing this historic building go, due to the community push back this project received, it's a great example of how the development process should go with urban core sites like this. Instead of seeing a building razed and the site sitting dead and empty for years, the demo is being done in coordination with an actual real development project.

City permits demolition of the George Doro Fixture property Downtown

The city issued three permits Feb. 22 for Realco Recycling Co. Inc. to demolish the George Doro Fixture Co. block to prepare for a proposed Downtown mixed-use and retail project called The Doro.

The permits show a job cost of $225,015 for demolition of structures at 128 A. Philip Randolph Blvd.; 102 A. Philip Randolph Blvd., the main George Doro building; and 951 Forsyth St.

On Dec 4, the city issued a permit for Rise to build the parking deck, which is a seven-level, 284-space garage with rooftop amenities, at a cost of almost $10.4 million.

Site clearing and horizontal development were permitted Nov. 16.

Rise General Contractors LLC will build the apartment and retail project and the garage in the Downtown Sports & Entertainment District.

The Dec. 8 apartment permit cleared the way for the city to permit demolition of the Doro Fixture warehouses on the site.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/city-permits-demolition-of-the-george-doro-fixture-property-downtown

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2021, 11:25:10 AM »
Will be interesting to see how this project fares, especially without Lot J or anything else around it for what appears to be years to come.

I don't get why anyone would want to live at this site, remote from just about everything including basic needs shopping.  You are living "downtown" but will need a car for everything.  These residents will surely be "urban pioneers"  8).

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2021, 08:59:24 PM »
Oh well.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2021, 09:02:52 AM »
You are living "downtown" but will need a car for everything.

How is that any different from living anywhere else on the Northbank, now?  It's actually a closer walk from Doro to the Harvey's grocery store...  than it is to walk from Carling to Harvey's.

Both are equally terrible of a walk.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2021, 09:31:46 AM »
You are living "downtown" but will need a car for everything.

How is that any different from living anywhere else on the Northbank, now?  It's actually a closer walk from Doro to the Harvey's grocery store...  than it is to walk from Carling to Harvey's.

Both are equally terrible of a walk.

Not according to Google Maps, walking - Carling to Harvey's 0.6 miles, Doro (Intuition) to Harvey's 0.9 miles - but you are right, neither would be a pleasant walk with arm loads of groceries.

jaxjags

« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2021, 04:40:52 PM »
I think the Doro will do just fine. I think a lot of young people will find it a great place to live.