Author Topic: Last chance to see: the Landing is quietly coming down  (Read 4613 times)

Tacachale

• Administrator
Last chance to see: the Landing is quietly coming down
« on: November 21, 2019, 09:30:25 AM »

Unlike previous downtown demolitions that were accompanied by media blitzes and celebratory fanfare, the city is proceeding quietly with its controversial plan to raze the Jacksonville Landing.

Read more: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/last-chance-to-see-the-landing-is-quietly-coming-down/
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

sandyshoes

Re: Last chance to see: the Landing is quietly coming down
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 09:54:13 AM »
Sorry they could not at least salvage that huge metal roof.

copperfiend

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 10:07:55 AM »
Cannot wait for our new front lawn

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 10:19:17 AM »

So wasteful on so many levels. This type of thing going unchecked and unquestioned in downtown will change. Stay tuned!
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

itsfantastic1

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 10:59:18 AM »

So wasteful on so many levels. This type of thing going unchecked and unquestioned in downtown will change. Stay tuned!

Did you get us a new mayor?!?!

vicupstate

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 11:04:42 AM »
Reading Nate Monroe's column yesterday, it still boggles the mind that #LyingLenny and his henchmen at JEA haven't been tarred, feathered and run out of town yet. 

There is a block-size public space in front of City Hall and within splitting distance of JEA. You would think a public protest would have happened by now.   

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Papa33

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 12:50:29 PM »
Anyone in the company involved in this scheme should not be involved in matters regarding the sale negotiations.  This shows corrupt motive or a motive other than best interest of the customers.

AdamsOnAdams

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 02:22:43 PM »
This makes me physically ill and fighting mad at the same time. That building could have been renovated to resolve its shortcomings and done in a way that would have preserved its basic shape and iconic features. Instead, we will get a boring “lawn” and a couple of “pads” set far back from the river to build on. Final price tag likely to be well over $30 million. This city is a joke under this mayor.

Kerry

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 10:25:49 AM »
This makes me physically ill and fighting mad at the same time. That building could have been renovated to resolve its shortcomings and done in a way that would have preserved its basic shape and iconic features. Instead, we will get a boring “lawn” and a couple of “pads” set far back from the river to build on. Final price tag likely to be well over $30 million. This city is a joke under this mayor.

In the last few months we have been to the City Market in Charleston, Pikes Place Market in Seattle, and the Fish Market in Washington DC.  This is such a huge wasted opportunity.  Oh well.
Third Place

Vista1877

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 11:21:08 AM »
Very good point about Seattle, Charleston and DC. The Riverside arts market could have been moved to the Landing along with a farmers market. The Mayor is working for Shan and his development, terrible abuse of power. Lenny is abusing his position like his mentor Trumpty Dumpty.

Bativac

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 05:47:48 PM »

In the last few months we have been to the City Market in Charleston, Pikes Place Market in Seattle, and the Fish Market in Washington DC.  This is such a huge wasted opportunity.  Oh well.

There's one of these in Milwaukee, too, which while not exactly packed was still buzzing with activity when I last visited, a few years ago on a Saturday afternoon. The Landing could have been made to work, but as you said... Oh well.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2019, 09:23:22 PM »
I am very, very angry...VERY angry! I was just in Jax last weekend; downtown looking far better than when I left in 1995, but, big mistake about the Landing. Will be visiting again soon...with my 3 lawn chairs.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2019, 09:49:46 PM »
Good luck. From the sounds of it, it may be fenced off for a quite a while.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Florida Power And Light

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2019, 10:29:09 PM »
I cheered the opening of The Landing and have lived long enough to cheer tearing down.
Soon Open Space, Jacksonville’s Gracious Front Porch ( dang it all.... dat right der done Water Front!)
An anchor to What is Hoped For.Or at least needed.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 10:37:28 PM by Florida Power And Light »

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2019, 03:25:14 PM »
Good luck. From the sounds of it, it may be fenced off for a quite a while.
I'll make the news by climbing over the fence, spreading my plaid table cloth and blanket down, unhitch my lawn chairs, get my juices and brewskies out of the cooler, and y'all can watch me being dragged away by JSO screaming and hollering that it's my front porch, my front lawn, and no one has the right to deny me that since they tore the landing down with no cause, reason, or real explanation. National news I'll be y'all.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!