Author Topic: Is the Buckman bridge to be feared?  (Read 796 times)

Megabox

Is the Buckman bridge to be feared?
« on: November 16, 2019, 01:40:04 PM »
Many people have fear of their car going over the side of the Buckman into the river. I would say a car has a greater chance of getting hit by a train at a railroad crossing than going over the side of the Buckman bridge.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Is the Buckman bridge to be feared?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 02:34:37 PM »
No I've never feared the Buckman and the river isn't that deep in that stretch. The bridge I most feared driving over was the old narrow Cooper River Bridge in Charleston. During the construction of the current bridge, it felt like 10 foot lanes with no shoulders.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 05:39:14 PM »
The scariest bridge I ever drove over that is at the top of most every list for US bridges is the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in Maryland.  The original span is very narrow and, at the top, the sides are just a couple of high tension horizontal cables between you and the blue sky above and the blue water below.  There is absolutely no margin for error!

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge is located in Maryland. The bridge is nearly 200 feet high and stretches 4.3 miles over the Chesapeake Bay.

Due to the bridge’s significant height above open water and length of the bridge, many drivers have reported having panic attacks while driving across the bridge, including their vision tunneling and fearing a complete loss of control of their vehicles.

Fear of the bridge has become so commonplace, a small company called Bay Bridge Drive-Overs has been created surrounding the bridge. The service will drive you over the bridge in your own car for a $25 fee. Alex Robinson, the owner of the company, reports an incredible amount of business. He drives dozens of customers over the bridge every day, making an effort to keep conversation away from the bridge to ease the nerves of his customers.

“It’s functionally obsolete,” said one customer. “There’s no emergency pull-off.” Bridge go-ers have even reported seeking psychological therapy to overcome their fear of the bridge.

I-10east

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 06:49:05 PM »
The Atchafalaya Basin Bridge at NIGHTTIME is the scariest ever! No streetlights, no shoulders, 18 miles of swamp below. It doesn't bother me in the daytime; at night is another story!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atchafalaya_Basin_Bridge
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 07:09:52 PM by I-10east »

jaxjags

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 10:57:28 AM »
No I've never feared the Buckman and the river isn't that deep in that stretch. The bridge I most feared driving over was the old narrow Cooper River Bridge in Charleston. During the construction of the current bridge, it felt like 10 foot lanes with no shoulders.

Before I retired, I was in Charleston 1 or 2 times a month for over 30 years. I hated the old Cooper River bridge. It was similar design to Chesapeake Bay bridge but narrower. There were only 2 lanes as there were 2 bridges, one bridge each direction. Also you went up, then down, then made a 45 degree turn and the up and down again. Plus that bridge shaked a lot.

Used the I 526 bridge after it opened.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 11:19:05 AM »
The old Sikorsky Bridge on the Merritt Parkway in Connecticut scared the hell out of me. It had a metal grating bit that was similar to the Matthews Bridge - but it was way worse. My car would always start sliding around and I would feel as if I were about to lose control. Apparently that was a common complaint and they finally replaced the bridge with a modern one.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 12:20:51 PM »

Before I retired, I was in Charleston 1 or 2 times a month for over 30 years. I hated the old Cooper River bridge. It was similar design to Chesapeake Bay bridge but narrower. There were only 2 lanes as there were 2 bridges, one bridge each direction. Also you went up, then down, then made a 45 degree turn and the up and down again. Plus that bridge shaked a lot.

Used the I 526 bridge after it opened.

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali