Author Topic: Khan, Jaguars expect Lot J development to begin early 2020  (Read 88541 times)

CityLife

Re: Khan, Jaguars expect Lot J development to begin early 2020
« Reply #375 on: November 19, 2020, 10:01:30 AM »
I was at the town hall in San Marco last night and I left feeling so insulted by the city.  The rep for the mayor's office, Jordan Elsbury, kept talking about how the development was essential to bring in larger scale events and conventions.  The mayor's office has been actively tanking our prospects as a convention destination for the past few years.  I couldn't tell if he knew this and was lying to me, or he generally didn't understand the impacts of what his office has done with the Ford on Bay RFP.  Additionally, calling this downtown development is a laugh.  The reps from the Jaguars were at least calling this "a new neighborhood" that would provide jobs for people living in the eastside, but the city is arguing that this will help the actual CBD.  He also touted the demolition of the landing as progress toward activating our waterfront.  Again.... is he straight lying to us or does he just not get it?

Such a Jacksonville story that this guy is the Mayor's Chief of Staff. He just graduated college 6 years ago with a degree in history from one of the worst colleges in the country (Southeastern Louisiana State-check their USNWR rankings). Then latched on to the Curry campaign and has worked his way up Curry's org. I'm sure he's a sharp guy with a bright future, but there is a zero percent chance he has a nuanced understanding of how cities and complex real estate projects work.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #376 on: November 19, 2020, 10:11:53 AM »
I think it's also worth noting that his current salary is $190,000 in a city where the median income is $54,000.  This guy is being paid a huge salary and a part of huge decisions with very little experience.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #377 on: November 19, 2020, 10:24:06 AM »
I was at the town hall in San Marco last night and I left feeling so insulted by the city.  The rep for the mayor's office, Jordan Elsbury, kept talking about how the development was essential to bring in larger scale events and conventions.  The mayor's office has been actively tanking our prospects as a convention destination for the past few years.  I couldn't tell if he knew this and was lying to me, or he generally didn't understand the impacts of what his office has done with the Ford on Bay RFP.  Additionally, calling this downtown development is a laugh.  The reps from the Jaguars were at least calling this "a new neighborhood" that would provide jobs for people living in the eastside, but the city is arguing that this will help the actual CBD.  He also touted the demolition of the landing as progress toward activating our waterfront.  Again.... is he straight lying to us or does he just not get it?

“Try some of column A, try ALL of column B”
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

tufsu1

« Reply #378 on: November 19, 2020, 10:24:42 AM »
Again.... is he straight lying to us or does he just not get it?

likely both

CityLife

« Reply #379 on: November 19, 2020, 10:46:11 AM »
I think it's also worth noting that his current salary is $190,000 in a city where the median income is $54,000.  This guy is being paid a huge salary and a part of huge decisions with very little experience.

That is a reasonable salary if Curry was taking a talented attorney from Rogers Towers or someone with an MPA and years of experience, but not a guy that probably never even dreamed of making $100k at age 28 or whatever he is.

FYI, for any younger kids reading this, the best way to get ahead in the political realm in Florida is not by crushing it in school or working your way up. You simply have to work for free on the right political campaigns in your early twenties and you will get opportunities you never dreamed of. It's crazy how much I see this happen around the state and it's not exclusive to any political party.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #380 on: November 19, 2020, 10:49:14 AM »
Again.... is he straight lying to us or does he just not get it?

likely both

He doesn't get it. Totally understandable that he has to align with the position of the hand that feeds him. However, if one truly got it, they'd craft a more logical argument for their position. If I'm pushing Lot J, I'm running that argument around job creation, economic development, sustaining the NFL franchise, revitalization of the Eastside and Sports District, maximizing underutilized public land, etc. I'm also acknowledging it is a separate area from the Northbank CBD and selling ways that it can compliment the downtown core.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Ken_FSU

« Reply #381 on: November 19, 2020, 11:05:40 AM »
If I'm pushing Lot J, I'm running that argument around job creation, economic development, sustaining the NFL franchise, revitalization of the Eastside and Sports District, maximizing underutilized public land, etc. I'm also acknowledging it is a separate area from the Northbank CBD and selling ways that it can compliment the downtown core.

Could not agree with you more, here.

I think it's an easier, more honest sell framed this way, versus the current framing as a catalytic project for downtown redevelopment that's going to magically transform Jacksonville into a world class city and have citizens high-fiving in the streets out of civic pride.

I'd respect the Jags more if they just dropped the histrionics and said, "Listen. We want to stay here. But we're a small market. The salary cap is rising. Other cities are building billion dollar stadiums. We can't sell tickets to our games with the pandemic, and we can't hold events at Daily's Place. We can't even have our annual London game, which drives 15% of our local revenue each year. We feel like this project is a win-win. We boost our local revenue. We create a lot of construction and permanent service jobs. Jacksonville is in a better position to retain events like Florida-Georgia and bring in new events that will utilize the new infrastructure. The Eastside gets a boost. Riverfront land remains open for development. You guys have a place to come hang out before and after events at the Sports Complex. We'd really appreciate it if you guys worked with us on this. We think it can be a great thing for all parties involved."

We could still say no, but at least it's an honest conversation.

vicupstate

« Reply #382 on: November 19, 2020, 11:10:58 AM »
^^ Well stated Ken. If we could actually believe the things they said, it would help things from their perspective.

It's crazy how much I see this happen around the state and it's not exclusive to any political party.

I doubt this is true of the Democratic party, because they never win any elections. Hard to dole out many rewards if you don't win anything.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #383 on: November 19, 2020, 11:15:33 AM »
FYI, for any younger kids reading this, the best way to get ahead in the political realm in Florida is not by crushing it in school or working your way up. You simply have to work for free on the right political campaigns in your early twenties and you will get opportunities you never dreamed of. It's crazy how much I see this happen around the state and it's not exclusive to any political party.

I… I'm going to stare sullenly at the tens of thousands of dollars I'm spending at UF and the thousands more I'm about to spend at law school.

I doubt this is true of the Democratic party, because they never win any elections. Hard to dole out many rewards if you don't win anything.

That's… not much better.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #384 on: November 19, 2020, 12:22:30 PM »

That is a reasonable salary if Curry was taking a talented attorney from Rogers Towers or someone with a MPA and years of experience, but not a guy that probably never even dreamed of making $100k at age 28 or whatever he is.

But, how much do those talented attorneys or someone with a MPA and years of experience put up on the bench press?  That's a valued trait on the 4th floor of City Hall nowadays.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 12:24:21 PM by fieldafm »

CityLife

« Reply #385 on: November 19, 2020, 01:27:00 PM »

I… I'm going to stare sullenly at the tens of thousands of dollars I'm spending at UF and the thousands more I'm about to spend at law school.

I was probably being a bit hyperbolic on that one. You are a sharp young guy and are still much better off going to UF and a top tier law school. You'll just run across more cronyism than you would expect to see when you get into the workforce.

That is a reasonable salary if Curry was taking a talented attorney from Rogers Towers or someone with a MPA and years of experience, but not a guy that probably never even dreamed of making $100k at age 28 or whatever he is.

But, how much do those talented attorneys or someone with a MPA and years of experience put up on the bench press?  That's a valued trait on the 4th floor of City Hall nowadays.

I was wondering why Curry never brought you into his administration. Hit the gym Mike and save Jacksonville!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 01:40:29 PM by CityLife »

minder

« Reply #386 on: November 19, 2020, 02:28:56 PM »
Some people on here are hell bent on trying to force things to happen within ear shot of the Bank of America Tower as if thats the be all and end all of Downtown Jax and never will the boundaries increase and anything else that happens outside their percieved limits is a threat and should be vehemently opposed. Its just not worked. The Landing failed, the immediate area is dead on evenings and weekends, the general public just don't care as much as some people on here do. Investors currently are more interested in other areas (i.e. Brooklyn, Lot J, San Marco) and maybe, just maybe, all the current and proposed development and regeneration in these areas might eventually spill over into "Downtown".

Bill Hoff

« Reply #387 on: November 19, 2020, 04:34:47 PM »

Just follow this flow chart and you'll find yourself in the penthouse soon: https://youtu.be/OloLS5kTrVs

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #388 on: November 19, 2020, 04:35:17 PM »
He just graduated college 6 years ago with a degree in history from one of the worst colleges in the country (Southeastern Louisiana State-check their USNWR rankings).

I've been thinking about this, and feel the need to say something. There's no reason to bash where the guy (or anyone) went to school. It has nothing to do with the problems in the administration, and at any rate, a lot of the most brilliant, successful people come through schools some people look down on. And some of the biggest fuckups in the world go to the "best" schools. Never forget Aaron Zahn went to Yale.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

CityLife

« Reply #389 on: November 19, 2020, 05:56:52 PM »
He just graduated college 6 years ago with a degree in history from one of the worst colleges in the country (Southeastern Louisiana State-check their USNWR rankings).

I've been thinking about this, and feel the need to say something. There's no reason to bash where the guy (or anyone) went to school. It has nothing to do with the problems in the administration, and at any rate, a lot of the most brilliant, successful people come through schools some people look down on. And some of the biggest fuckups in the world go to the "best" schools. Never forget Aaron Zahn went to Yale.

I wholeheartedly agree with you in general, but not this instance. You might have overlooked the part where I said "I'm sure he's a sharp guy with a bright future".

The point was more that he is only 6 years removed from studying history (which teaches you nothing about local government, real estate development, urban planning, etc) at a subpar school. People rise up all the time without going to good schools, but they typically do it after years of hard work and experience gained. It takes an incredibly diverse array of knowledge and experience to be able to operate  operate at a high level in a role like he's in. It's not something that you can succeed at solely on charm, wit, emotional intelligence, or intuition like some other professions.

Someone that came into Curry's admin at that age and was trained in the field from a Harvard or Georgetown type law, MPA, or similar program might have come fully formed and able to succeed, but even then I would have doubts.

All that said, it seems evident that the poor guy is in over his head. He didn't even properly file the Lot J legislation and did zero independent financial analysis about the development, both of which hurt the legitimacy of the deal in the public.
https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/incomplete-parking-deal-holds-up-lot-j-legislation