Author Topic: Florida-Georgia: The History Of A Jax Tradition  (Read 2198 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Florida-Georgia: The History Of A Jax Tradition
« on: November 01, 2019, 08:24:19 AM »

The annual Florida-Georgia football game is one of Jacksonville's oldest and most storied traditions. Dating back to 1915 - or is it 1904? - it has a history that puts most college rivalries to shame.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/florida-georgia-the-history-of-a-jax-tradition/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Papa33

Re: Florida-Georgia: The History Of A Jax Tradition
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 09:17:19 AM »
The first intercollegiate game between official varsity teams was played on November 22, 1901. Stetson beat Florida Agricultural College at Lake City, one of the four forerunners of the University of Florida, 6–0, in a game played as part of the Jacksonville Fair.[60] A sure score by FAC was obstructed by a tree stump.[61]

--From WIKI (but lifted from other sources).

Does anyone know where in Jacksonville the fair was held in 1901?  This note is for the first Collegiate Game in Florida.  The very first was at Rutgers.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 09:25:37 AM »
The original fairgrounds were off Jessie Street between MLK and Talleyrand.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 09:49:40 AM »
The first intercollegiate game between official varsity teams was played on November 22, 1901. Stetson beat Florida Agricultural College at Lake City, one of the four forerunners of the University of Florida, 6–0, in a game played as part of the Jacksonville Fair.[60] A sure score by FAC was obstructed by a tree stump.[61]

Does anyone know where in Jacksonville the fair was held in 1901?  This note is for the first Collegiate Game in Florida.  The very first was at Rutgers.

I was just reading about that in Ken Bowen (kenFSU)'s book Big League City. I believe that this fair was held in Downtown - this was only 6 months after the Great Fire. I'll check when I get home unless Ken can enlighten us.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 10:00:33 AM »
I was surprised to learn Dooley coached GA for that long!

My abiding memory of the game from when I was a kid was the way people would decorate their cars with funny and oftentimes offensive sayings. I think they passed an ordinance or something to stop it.

The two I still remember were, "Guck Feorgia" and "Vince Dooley's wife swallows".
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 10:02:31 AM »
I was surprised to learn Dooley coached GA for that long!

My abiding memory of the game from when I was a kid was the way people would decorate their cars with funny and oftentimes offensive sayings. I think they passed an ordinance or something to stop it.

The two I still remember were, "Guck Feorgia" and "Vince Dooley's wife swallows".

That's Duval classy, y'all.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Charles Hunter

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 10:52:57 AM »
In high school (late '60s) I was in a youth group that earned money by working concessions at the Florida-Georgia game. We walked through the stands with those racks of (overpriced) soft drinks to sell.  We soon learned that we could sell cups of ice for the same price as soft drinks, so we'd have half a tray of soft drinks and half of just ice.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 10:01:55 PM »

I was just reading about that in Ken Bowen (kenFSU)'s book Big League City. I believe that this fair was held in Downtown - this was only 6 months after the Great Fire. I'll check when I get home unless Ken can enlighten us.

Big League City says the “North Main Street Fairgrounds” is where the game took place. Presumably the same ones Ennis was talking about?

Snaketoz

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 10:39:25 AM »
There was also an area just south of the Gateway Mall near Golfair Blvd. that was the "fairgrounds" for a period of time.