Author Topic: Ghost Towns of Duval County: Greenland  (Read 3314 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Ghost Towns of Duval County: Greenland
« on: September 30, 2019, 08:39:08 AM »

The Jaxson explores the remains of one of Jacksonville's forgotten ghost towns: Greenland

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/ghost-towns-of-duval-county-greenland/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxlongtimer

Re: Ghost Towns of Duval County: Greenland
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 02:20:28 PM »
Lake, I don't know how you find these isolated gems of the past, but this is great.  It would be nice if some of these areas could be acquired to become passive and historic parks as there is so little left of this rural lifestyle in Duval County.

You show a chunk as "future development" but it appears some private homes still exist there.  Has a developer secured rights to all that remains?

I always thought this area had limited value given its boundaries of the railroad and the interstates.  I don't know why someone would want to live in that triangle as the noise has to be pretty bad.  And, its not exactly convenient crossing that RR every time to enter/exit.  For retail, visibility is also minimal.  Was always surprised that Walmart and other stores found that an attractive location and that the developer could justify building that expensive overpass over the RR.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 02:37:49 PM »
Thanks, I happened to be overlaying historic maps with modern aerials looking for something else and noticed that this slice of Greenland matched up with the old maps. I knew there were some houses back there, I just never knew it was the bones of a historic rural community with a historic cemetery.

The development maps come from the KIMCO Avenues Walk website. Other than labeling where Greenland is, I did not make them. So I assume the area marked "future development" is property already in possession. I believe what's left of Greenland is still there today because of its limited accessibility. With that said, it does feel like a time warp doing the one block drive between Philips Highway and the FEC crossing off Cedar Street. It's pretty wooded back there. Other than the occasional train, it was pretty peaceful.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

CityLife

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 02:48:07 PM »
Echo the previous post. Impressive find Lake. We used to cut through here (pre 295) before and after school at Mandarin to avoid the light at Greenland and because it was just an interesting spot to drive thru. Had no clue about it’s history though.

Random story, but it was common to have parties or get togethers in areas like this around Mandarin or NW SJC back in the day and one of my friends was drinking with some buddies back there and stumbled on a dead homeless guy. This was in the early 2000’s and right across from the Avenues in its hayday.

Another interesting area near this spot is Bayard. There were definitely some characters from there.

Snaketoz

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 05:26:51 PM »
Lake,  Great history lesson as usual.  I really enjoy reading your pieces and I wonder if you've ever heard of Tisonia?  It was a community north of Pecan Park Rd. off Main St.  There were a row of houses on a curve there back in the 50/60s that have since been demolished.  I've always wondered if those were railroad worker's houses or some sort of early company housing.  Maybe you can find out about that.  My dad lived near there in the 20s, but was born in Eastport, which at one time was a bustling little community off what is now Heckscher Dr.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 08:17:08 AM »
I've seen Tisonia on the map and have driving through that area on US 17. However, there's not much left today. I'll do some digging and see what I can find on what used to be there.

acme54321

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 09:47:28 AM »
Lake,  Great history lesson as usual.  I really enjoy reading your pieces and I wonder if you've ever heard of Tisonia?  It was a community north of Pecan Park Rd. off Main St.  There were a row of houses on a curve there back in the 50/60s that have since been demolished.  I've always wondered if those were railroad worker's houses or some sort of early company housing.  Maybe you can find out about that.  My dad lived near there in the 20s, but was born in Eastport, which at one time was a bustling little community off what is now Heckscher Dr.

Eastport is one that has always intrigued me.  Old maps from the turn of the century show a decent sized community with a bunch of RR tracks and some industry but I have never been able to find out what was there.  It's been wiped off the map for the most part but there are still some seawalls and piling left under the SE side of the bridge.

Was it a company town?

Charles Hunter

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 10:45:29 AM »
A couple place names that intrigue me are in St. Johns County, near World Golf Village:  Blacks Ford and Whites Ford.  Blacks Ford is on CR 210, near the Stone Creek development.  Whites Ford is near Leo Maguire Parkway and St. Johns Parkway.  The two Fords are about 2.5 miles apart, and do not appear to be on the same waterway (although hard to tell from G-Maps).

Snaketoz

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 01:38:44 PM »

Eastport is one that has always intrigued me.  Old maps from the turn of the century show a decent sized community with a bunch of RR tracks and some industry but I have never been able to find out what was there.  It's been wiped off the map for the most part but there are still some seawalls and piling left under the SE side of the bridge.

Was it a company town?
My dad talked little of anything about his time in Eastport.  I do remember him saying there was a ferry from Eastport to downtown Jacksonville.  He would ride the streetcars downtown, sell newspapers, then return home on the ferry.  He went to school in Panama Park, but I don't know how he got there.  I believe Eastport was a naval stores, fishing, lumber, and turpentine center.  The most popular name in my dad's era around Eastport was Broward.  They owned a lot of land on the N/S and I think there was a community called Broward.