Author Topic: East End Musem Dr. - North End Hendricks Ave Construction - Will It Ever Be Done  (Read 820 times)

bl8jaxnative

Does anyone have insight into the construction project going on for a mile or so on Museum east of Main down around to Prudential?   Is there a reason that such a small project has dragged out over a year now?   They seem to work on it for a few days and then no one touches it for a few weeks. 

tufsu1

You mean Riverplace Boulevard?

If so, its a complete rebuild - new drainage, new sidewalks, new landscaping, the city's first separated raised bike lanes, and a road diet.

bl8jaxnative

Thank you.   

But that's the part I don't understand.  It's a lot of work.  But 14 months is a lot of time.   Some things like the concrete pours can require certain weather, time to cure [sic?] a bit before working around them, et al.   

But there's lots of stuff that can be some right now, like finishing up the landscaping on the south end where everything else has been done.  I don't think they've working on that stuff for 4-5 weeks.   

These sort of projects always have a coordination problem.  It's not easy to keep things flowing.  But on all sorts of other big projects they seem to deal with that pretty well. 

Part of me doesn't want to be rude and be a back seat driver.  At the same time, it feels like it's be a tool for soft-graft or something like that.  Where the contract on the face of it looks like it's not overpriced for the work.  The trick is letting them lollygag along to save money and actually end up with some pretty fat profit.     

Then again, it's probably just a form of Hanlon's law.   Not so much stupidity as a lack of organizational.

acme54321

I don't know what the delays have been but it is definitely taking longer than they originally estimated.

fieldafm

• Editor
Thank you.   

But that's the part I don't understand.  It's a lot of work.  But 14 months is a lot of time.   Some things like the concrete pours can require certain weather, time to cure [sic?] a bit before working around them, et al.   

But there's lots of stuff that can be some right now, like finishing up the landscaping on the south end where everything else has been done.  I don't think they've working on that stuff for 4-5 weeks.   

These sort of projects always have a coordination problem.  It's not easy to keep things flowing.  But on all sorts of other big projects they seem to deal with that pretty well. 

Part of me doesn't want to be rude and be a back seat driver.  At the same time, it feels like it's be a tool for soft-graft or something like that.  Where the contract on the face of it looks like it's not overpriced for the work.  The trick is letting them lollygag along to save money and actually end up with some pretty fat profit.     

Then again, it's probably just a form of Hanlon's law.   Not so much stupidity as a lack of organizational.

They are definitely way behind schedule. In 2017 (when the project was supposed to go out for construction bids), they had to redesign the landscaping because of a mistake made regarding the location of underground utility lines in the original design. The DIA had to pay an additional $800k over and above the original scope due to this design delay. Construction labor prices go up (rapidly) every year.

Landscaping is usually the last thing that is installed, so it was rather puzzling why they installed trees early in the summer. The irrigation system is not yet fully installed/functioning on the North side of the road... and several trees have already died. Additionally, looks like a sub still needs to come back and fix the pavers on the North side of the road when they finish installing the pavers on the South side of the road. Looks like by next week, all the concrete work will be done.

Like bl8jaxnative, I don't want to be a whiny armchair quarterback, as this is a much needed project.  But... it has been a frustrating process for Southbank residents, business owners, hoteliers and employees.

Peter Griffin

It amazes me just how impatient people can be about roadway construction. Despite mismanagement, it takes time to build things. A roadway project can involve the placement of hundreds of tons of soil and pavement and concrete, the relocation of miles of utility lines, water lines, sewer pipes, and in this case the work of landscaping the periphery of the project, all while maintaining active traffic through the work zone.

fieldafm

• Editor
It amazes me just how impatient people can be about roadway construction. Despite mismanagement, it takes time to build things. A roadway project can involve the placement of hundreds of tons of soil and pavement and concrete, the relocation of miles of utility lines, water lines, sewer pipes, and in this case the work of landscaping the periphery of the project, all while maintaining active traffic through the work zone.

Roadway construction does take time. You are right about that.

But, when you are two years behind schedule and almost a $1 million more expensive than originally budgeted (part of the money to pay for that cost overrun was taken from a pool of money to create additional public parking in the Southbank.. which sure would have been nice particularly as more residential units have opened)... it's perhaps understandable when people who rely on said road every day become frustrated.

Or say you are TD Bank, and you are told that your teller driveway will be affected for a week because of concrete pours... and three weeks later your driveway access is still effected because of concrete pours. Business customers now have to pay to park in a garage, just to make a simple, daily cash drop.

Maybe a little empathy is in order  :)

I can't imagine what its like for the Hyatt. Four years of construction/interuption, and no end in sight.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 11:47:58 AM by fieldafm »

Peter Griffin

Yeah, I guess my qualm is more general and this particular post wasn't the best place to air my grievances.

fieldafm

• Editor
It appears as though (mercifully) that by next week, Riverplace Blvd will be open both ways to traffic.

Still have a few punch list items to complete... for example, appears drainage is an issue that has yet to be shaken out, there are still some crosswalks to paint, some pavers need to be fixed, etc.

But having a fully functional road is a welcome amd much appreciated early Thanksgiving, Kwanza, Passover, Christmas present.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
It appears as though (mercifully) that by next week, Riverplace Blvd will be open both ways to traffic.

Still have a few punch list items to complete... for example, appears drainage is an issue that has yet to be shaken out, there are still some crosswalks to paint, some pavers need to be fixed, etc.

But having a fully functional road is a welcome amd much appreciated early Thanksgiving, Kwanza, Passover, Christmas present.

Excellent news.
And a Festivus for the rest of us!