Author Topic: The Mathews Bridge: historic or an expensive relic?  (Read 4625 times)

jaxlongtimer

Re: The Mathews Bridge: historic or an expensive relic?
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2021, 08:22:47 PM »
^ If a twin bridge is built, does that cost $1 billion or only if the existing bridge is removed and replaced by one 2+ times bigger?

And, I agree, the money is out there (see U2C).  It's all about priorities.  As to JTA vs. FDOT, both depend quite a bit on Federal dollars.  It could just come down to who can make the best case for directing the Fed's dollars, assuming politicos don't distort the process.  I would imagine, politically speaking, the bridge would be far more popular than a project like U2C so, even in the world of politics, it should come out on top.

The underlying issue is that our visionless "leaders" aren't even talking about it.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2021, 10:16:23 PM »
If only that freighter had hit the bridge just a few feet over ... [assuming no one was hurt or killed]

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2021, 10:25:14 PM »
^ If a twin bridge is built, does that cost $1 billion or only if the existing bridge is removed and replaced by one 2+ times bigger?

And, I agree, the money is out there (see U2C).  It's all about priorities.  As to JTA vs. FDOT, both depend quite a bit on Federal dollars.  It could just come down to who can make the best case for directing the Fed's dollars, assuming politicos don't distort the process.  I would imagine, politically speaking, the bridge would be far more popular than a project like U2C so, even in the world of politics, it should come out on top.

The underlying issue is that our visionless "leaders" aren't even talking about it.

I always assumed it would be a new span and that there would be efforts to keep the existing structure in place since it's structurally sound and historic in its own right. Either new or a replacement, that span would touch down deeper both into the Eastside and Arlington.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali