Author Topic: Duval School Board sues city to get sales tax vote  (Read 567 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Duval School Board sues city to get sales tax vote
« on: September 17, 2019, 07:40:22 PM »
Unfortunate that things had to end up this way but anyone following the school tax referendum situation knew this was coming. We'll soon find out which entity was right all along.

The City of Jacksonville is being sued by both Duval school board, teachers union for delaying a sales tax referendum to benefit schools.

One day after a group of parents and grandparents took legal action against the city of Jacksonville to force a school sales tax vote, the Duval County School Board is doing the same.

Duval County Public Schools has worked toward a sales tax referendum for school maintenance for months.

But things came to a stop last month when the City Council overwhelmingly voted to withdraw the bill that would give Duval residents the right to vote on the tax issue.

Now, less than a month since hiring a team of outside attorneys, the School Board is working with Duval Teachers United to force the vote.

“Many of the district’s schools are in desperate need of maintenance, repair, renovation, and, in some cases, replacement to keep students safe and make the educational environment conducive to learning. Presently, this cannot be accomplished due to a severe lack of funding,” said the complaint filed Tuesday. “Despite its mandatory duty, the City of Jacksonville, through the City Council, has refused to put the School Capital Surtax on the ballot.”

Full article: https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20190917/duval-school-board-sues-city-to-get-sales-tax-vote
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxlongtimer

Re: Duval School Board sues city to get sales tax vote
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 02:04:09 AM »
Mayor Curry and the City Council probably relish the law suits.  If they win, they satisfy the charter school supporters and "no-new-taxes " crowd.  If they lose, they can wash their hands of any disappointment  re: the charter schools and say they were against a "tax increase," laying the blame at the feet of the School Board and courts.  They will then use the loss to channel their group's efforts into advocating for an elected superintendent and ousting the incumbent School Board members so the Curry machine can have total control over the School Board next time around.

Our City charter needs a complete overhaul to end this dangerous game by the Mayor that is sure to hold Jacksonville back from its full potential for decades to come.  Nothing will hurt economic development and quality of life more than a disabled public school system and low taxes isn't gong to make up for it.  Just ask the builders, Realtors and teachers union who all support the referendum in a rare mix of unity.  The Chamber has similar interests and should thus speak up but given their divided membership and being Curry's handmaiden, I guess they will cowardly avoid speaking to truth.  Typical Jacksonville.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 08:48:29 AM »
Underfunding the school could risk accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).  We've been down this road before, in the 1960s.  I was in high school in the late 60's, and being relieved when SACS restored accreditation before I graduated.  The 'common knowledge' was that colleges were less interested in applicants from non-accredited school systems.

itsfantastic1

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 09:07:57 AM »
The council spilled the beans with their attempts to modify the school board's plan. This whole thing is about getting more money for charter schools to satisfy the donor class.

Ultimately, unless the courts are willing to overturn decades of precedence, I foresee the school board winning and getting their plan on the ballot (most likely Nov. 2020 since the ruling will probably allow the council to set the date).

However, it will mean that the powers that be push hard to have an elected superintendent and I think they will get that on the ballot as well (if we even get to vote as the state legislature can change the charter without a referendum aka Jason Fischer method).

Nov. 2020 will be a very important for the city's future and how we treat public education.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 09:13:01 AM by itsfantastic1 »

vicupstate

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 09:26:44 AM »
Electing a Superintendent has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. Elected officials typically have a residence requirement. Superintendents are 97% of the time from an entirely different city and often state than the position they are taking. There are probably no more than  2 or 3 people living in Duval County that would be qualified to serve as Superintendent, and they would have no experience in politics at all.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 10:21:28 AM by vicupstate »
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 09:38:39 AM »
If it is on the ballot in 2020, that election will really get interesting locally. Most who skip showing up to vote for mayoral and council elections will be participating. That's bad news for anyone who prefers limited voting participation.  Also, I assume a potential referendum to sell JEA could also be on the table around that time?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

itsfantastic1

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 10:53:25 AM »
I'm always down for more participation, however the Board is going to be going up against a political machine that if the Board and allies don't craft it's message about why a vote for a tax is good but a vote for a superintendent is bad; we're going to end up with a sales tax but an elected superintendent and citizens will think they've done a good thing.

Frankly (opinion rant incoming) there are certain roles within government that should be appointed by a group of elective officials so that these roles can make the hard decisions based on being experts in their fields. Frankly, I think sheriffs are an outdated concept.

If an elected superintendent is so important for accountability; then there should also be an elected JEA CEO and an elected General Council. Fundamentally no different from the superintendent, except they cow-tow to the mayor whereas the superintendent is outside his purview.

That's what irks me so much about this, the elected superintendent isn't about changing the system to help the students; its about consolidation of power and the use of public money to enrich a few select individuals.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 11:14:36 AM »
Duval used to have an elected School Superintendent.
Schools lost accreditation then.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 12:06:16 PM »
I wouldn’t propose it now, but I actually think that we should have a Mayoral Appointee for Sheriff (confirmed by the elected city council) and Superintendent (confirmed by the School Board).

It’s probably crazy to think about with the way Curry is managing things, but I’ve always hated with our form of Government the Mayor has plausible deniability about issues with Crime and K-12 Education. I think the mayor should have a say.

Now.....the full control he’s trying to instill? That’s bananas.

vicupstate

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 01:19:16 PM »
I wouldn’t propose it now, but I actually think that we should have a Mayoral Appointee for Sheriff (confirmed by the elected city council) and Superintendent (confirmed by the School Board).

It’s probably crazy to think about with the way Curry is managing things, but I’ve always hated with our form of Government the Mayor has plausible deniability about issues with Crime and K-12 Education. I think the mayor should have a say.

No. A thousand times No. Both positions are far too important and far too different from being Mayor to put the mayor in effective control of them.  To say nothing of the absolute corruption of absolute power.  A superintendent should never be a political position, IMO, but an expert in the education field.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with the current setup.  This is a power smash and grab, pure and simple. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 02:33:09 PM »
Definitely agree with the idea that the superintendent should not be subject to the political whims of those not qualified to make educational decisions. That's already failed locally once. No need to go back down that path.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 05:20:03 PM »

No. A thousand times No. Both positions are far too important and far too different from being Mayor to put the mayor in effective control of them.  To say nothing of the absolute corruption of absolute power.  A superintendent should never be a political position, IMO, but an expert in the education field.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with the current setup.  This is a power smash and grab, pure and simple. 

Doesn’t mean it can’t be an appointed position for a contracted period similar to the Fed Chair. The concept is FAR from unique among big cities at both positions.