Author Topic: A Look At JEA's Plans For Downtown  (Read 2529 times)

Tacachale

• Administrator
A Look At JEA's Plans For Downtown
« on: September 16, 2019, 01:18:53 PM »

In preparation for the new JEA headquarters at 300 West Adams Street, Minneapolis-based Ryan Companies has submitted conceptual design plans to Jacksonville’s Downtown Development Review Board (DDRB). Ryan Companies plans to break ground on the nine-story as early as the first quarter of 2020, with a fourth quarter 2020 completion data anticipated. Here is a look at the presentation prepared for the DDRB's September 19, 2019 meeting.

Read more: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/a-look-at-jeas-plans-for-downtown/
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

acme54321

Re: A Look At JEA's Plans For Downtown
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 02:25:36 PM »
They plan to break ground have be completed in 2020?  Sporty.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 02:45:37 PM »
Completion 2021. Sorry about that. Typo fixed.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxjaguar

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 08:54:37 PM »
I like the design, but Julia and Adams is going to be fronted by garages on 3 of its 4 corners... and another huge garage just a block west. I think if they turned this 90 degrees it would be a drastic improvement for the Adams Street front over the current blueprint. The garage entirely facing Monroe makes more sense, as that section of Monroe is already dead space with virtually 0 vehicle/foot traffic.

FlaBoy

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 04:09:47 PM »
Where is the retail in this plan?

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 08:52:37 PM »
I like the look of the building (it has grown on me...didn't like it initially); however, for a city of 900,000 inhabitants, this type building is more suited for Daytona, St. Augustine, Gainesville, or Pensacola; but hey, we don't get much office new construction in downtown Jax, so I'll take it! Don't say the word "retail" too loud, the project might get cancelled.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

Ken_FSU

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 09:32:30 PM »
Retail won't be cold shell, but rather built out and filled day one, per Ryan.

Priority will be on retail uses that employees can leverage, such as a gym or a credit union.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 02:53:00 PM »
Retail won't be cold shell, but rather built out and filled day one, per Ryan.

Priority will be on retail uses that employees can leverage, such as a gym or a credit union.

That makes me feel a little better. But....on Adams it could create more of a synergy with other retail. On the other hand, retail that is filled on Julia could create foot traffic and help cultivate a good environment.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 08:17:15 PM »
If interested in developing retail corridors that span multiple continuous blocks through downtown, it's Adams or bust for the retail component. Now they do at least hit the corner but the rest of the block will be dead at night and on weekends.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

KenFSU

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 02:34:43 PM »
JEA has asked to extend the deadline for backing out of the new HQ by another month while they review bids for purchase.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2019, 03:14:01 PM »
Hmm I wonder what's the plan? Accept moving forward with a bid or have the project cancelled and lay off a bunch of people?

Papa33

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 03:58:59 PM »
Is JEA playing chicken with the people of Jacksonville?  I don't think for a minute that JEA's ego will allow them to not build the new HQ.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 04:38:50 PM »
I don't think the larger community will care if they cancel that office building. Many are actively questioning if they should be doing it anyway, considering their push to sell. The layoffs will be the story.

vicupstate

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2019, 05:18:01 PM »
I thought the deadline had already passed to drop from the deal. The developer has already closed on the land. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2019, 09:28:04 PM »
I thought the deadline had already passed to drop from the deal. The developer has already closed on the land.

Apparently, the City negotiated that they could buy back the property if ground isn't broken by 12/31/19 so Ryan is covered there.  But, I would imagine Ryan would want compensation for incurred development expenses which I would think would easily be well into 6 figures at this point.  This project is just another pawn in Zahn/Curry's zest to sell JEA no matter the consequences.  Interestingly, the new deadline is 10/23 and the board doesn't see any sale proposals until 10/22.  So they have less than 24 hours to essentially conclude they are going to sell JEA supporting, again, this appears to be a foregone conclusion.

The City Council, which also approved the $2.6 million sale of the West Adams Street property to Ryan that same day, included a similar exit clause. Ordinance 2019-401 allows the city to repurchase the property if the developer does not break ground by Dec. 31.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/ryan-extends-deadline-for-jea-to-opt-out-of-new-headquarters
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 01:29:33 AM by jaxlongtimer »