Author Topic: The Ford on Bay  (Read 3486 times)

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
Re: The Ford on Bay
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2019, 07:03:47 PM »
It's more likely that people will still be parking there in six months. Unless, someone is installing tents, it's pretty much impossible time-wise for anything to be under construction within six months, considering time will be needed to respond to a RFP, select the winner and negotiate with the winning selection. That alone, will likely take two or three months minimum. If you're lucky, at that point you'll be on a typical development timeline which will include everything from design and engineering plan production, financing, permitting, DDRB approval, etc.
You have to have sod brought in, etc., for an empty lawn; that's what she means. (LOL...maybe they'll add a public restroom).
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

KenFSU

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2019, 10:43:38 AM »
Full article: https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/the-mendenhall-report-the-ford-on-bay-could-draw-international-interest

The Mendenhall Report: The Ford on Bay could draw international interest

When the Downtown Investment Authority begins looking for developers for the former Duval County Courthouse and City Hall sites — now branded The Ford on Bay — officials expect bids from top-tier national developers, and possibly international investors.

The DIA will issue a request for proposals Monday to develop the city-owned property. Bids are due Jan. 21.

CBRE Jacksonville, the real estate firm chosen by DIA to brand and market The Ford on Bay, has sent email blasts that include an executive summary calling the site a “rare and unique mixed-use development opportunity on ±8.38 acres of high visible land in downtown Jacksonville.”

Cliff Taylor and Joe Ayers, CBRE’s co-leads for North Florida multifamily investment sales, told the DIA board in September they will market the city-owned property “far and wide.”

“There will be a conversation with a large number of groups of high caliber that have never developed here in the past,” Taylor told the DIA on Sept. 18.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2019, 11:04:18 AM »
Maybe I'm being too harsh but I don't see why this is even news. The Ford on Bay is not a real development. Maybe something materializes in a few months, maybe it doesn't. In any event, they actually have to issue a request for proposal and market the site before anything realistic is possibly proposed and materializes down the line. Maybe it's just me, but it's a shame that these types of dreams are making the news as opposed to reports of real downtown projects moving forward. What's next? Another story about the District promising to start pushing dirt across their site in another year or so?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 11:06:25 AM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

vicupstate

« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2019, 11:21:41 AM »
In 2018, the average lease rate for Downtown office space was $21.54 per square foot, according to Downtown Vision Inc.’s 2018-19 State of Downtown Report.

Good luck getting a new office building built with that market rate.

The DIA better hope the new bidders don't talk to the old bidders. They might get an earful about not wasting their time.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Captain Zissou

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2019, 11:38:24 AM »
Yeah i don't see this going anywhere for the while, unless the city gives away the farm.  By that I mean unless the city has a 2nd farm that they never told anyone about that they can also give away.  Shad already has the first one firmly in his grasp.

FlaBoy

« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2019, 11:46:20 AM »
Maybe I'm being too harsh but I don't see why this is even news. The Ford on Bay is not a real development. Maybe something materializes in a few months, maybe it doesn't. In any event, they actually have to issue a request for proposal and market the site before anything realistic is possibly proposed and materializes down the line. Maybe it's just me, but it's a shame that these types of dreams are making the news as opposed to reports of real downtown projects moving forward. What's next? Another story about the District promising to start pushing dirt across their site in another year or so?

Seems like the stadium development would make more sense over here.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2019, 11:58:14 AM »
In 2018, the average lease rate for Downtown office space was $21.54 per square foot, according to Downtown Vision Inc.’s 2018-19 State of Downtown Report.

Good luck getting a new office building built with that market rate.

The DIA better hope the new bidders don't talk to the old bidders. They might get an earful about not wasting their time.

Which is why it was pretty dumb to blow up the 19-story structurally sound building that was already standing on the property. Would have been better off giving it away, which would have made private redevelopment more feasible and using the $8 million spent on demo on other downtown needs.......like two-waying streets, revamping public spaces, investing in small business growth or replenishing the historic preservation trust fund.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

acme54321

« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2019, 01:09:53 PM »
Is the city going to sell the land to a developer or are they planning a ground lease?

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2019, 03:36:57 PM »
Is the city going to sell the land to a developer or are they planning a ground lease?

In the RFP Response, the Respondent will propose the financial terms so they could in theory propose this. With that said, I can't imagine any human on earth proposing this to COJ, especially if they have the internet and can read the news.

vicupstate

« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2019, 04:00:32 PM »

In the RFP Response, the Respondent will propose the financial terms so they could in theory propose this. With that said, I can't imagine any human on earth proposing this to COJ, especially if they have the internet and can read the news.

EXACTLY the first thing I thought when I read the first post.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Charles Hunter

« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2019, 04:18:44 PM »
If the RFP has enough trendy bells and whistles, the City will likely give the land to the developer (or if his name is Khan)