Author Topic: First Baptist to Downsize Downtown Campus  (Read 1522 times)

Tacachale

• Administrator
Re: First Baptist to Downsize Downtown Campus
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2019, 11:35:56 AM »
I wonder if theyl will be feeding the homeless at their new location as well.

Pretty sure that FBC's homeless outreach is through the City Rescue Mission.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Kiva

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2019, 07:02:00 PM »
I wonder if theyl will be feeding the homeless at their new location as well.

Hopefully not. There's plenty of food available in Duval for the homeless, especially so Downtown.
I think he is talking about the new location on the Duval/St. Johns county border. Maybe they can open up a homeless shelter in Nocatee?

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2019, 08:41:03 PM »
This is huge!

Assuming a competent municipal government (oh dear…), this could be a massive boon for the city as a whole, given the enormous potential of so much square footage.

Between the spaces that could be transformed into apartments, offices, entertainment venues, and who knows what else (plus already existing parking for all of it), this could dwarf Lot J at a fraction of the cost.

But then again, Lenny Curry is mayor, so we could have 9 new grass lots in 5 years.
LOLOLOLOLOL...break out the lawn chairs!
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

Ivegotasecret

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2019, 09:53:52 AM »
The need to rid itself of all that property is the best example I’ve seen in quite awhile of the chickens coming home to roost. FBC impeded the growth of downtown for years with its opposition to any proposal that included dispensation of alcohol or that might be a Sunday attraction to steal away its donors. Question: When the blocks to be disposed of are no longer used in any way do they lose their charitable exemption for real estate tax purposes?

With the eventual demolition of what is now the JEA building, that part of downtown will be badly in need of some expensive fixing.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2019, 10:14:53 PM »
Question: When the blocks to be disposed of are no longer used in any way do they lose their charitable exemption for real estate tax purposes?

My understanding is the real estate is tax exempt if it is owned by the church and used to support the mission of the church, such as for services, education, social, etc.  Even if the church owns it, if it is leased to a for-profit entity and/or used in a "money making" capacity, it would be subject to real estate taxes.  Of course, if they sell it to a for-profit entity, it's put on the tax rolls.  If FSCJ, UNF, JU, UF Shands, Mayo, a non-profit charter school or some other non-profit buys it, it likely will remain non-taxable.