Author Topic: Orlando Transportation Tax Referendum Coming In 2020?  (Read 454 times)

Tacachale

• Administrator
Orlando Transportation Tax Referendum Coming In 2020?
« on: September 06, 2019, 09:45:57 AM »

Suffering from congestion and gridlock, Orange County, Florida wants to succeed where Nashville, Atlanta and Vancouver have recently failed by passing a transportation sales tax.

Read more: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/orlando-transportation-tax-referendum-coming-in-2020/
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

FlaBoy

Re: Orlando Transportation Tax Referendum Coming In 2020?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 11:54:54 AM »
How did you all come up with 5.2 million by 2030 for Orlando Metro? That can't be right. Are you including other counties outside of their metro or even CSA? Are you including places like Lakeland and up to Daytona and Flagler? Brevard?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 01:02:23 PM »
Those were the numbers provided by Orange County. I assume they must be including parts of Volusia, Polk and Brevard. While technically, they may be separate MSAs, off the top of my head, the urban area does spill into Polk (Four Corners) and Volusia (Deltona).
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxjags

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 02:23:55 PM »
I think what they want to do is good and forward thinking. But they better be sure their numbers are realistic. As they said, it is hard to win a voted tax increase. Just look at what happen to DCSB. You have to sell it hard.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 03:14:52 PM »
This web site is IIRC showing it off of the zip codes the US Census buerea uses for the MSA boundaries:

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/31000US36740-orlando-kissimmee-sanford-fl-metro-area/

As for the new tax, that's up to the Orangians ( or whatever a citizen of orange county is called ).  If I lived there, I'd be asking how it is that the county takes in 20% more tax revenue than the state average yet is in the bottom 1/3 for transportation spending.    What's it going if not into transportation?

FlaBoy

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 05:28:52 PM »
This web site is IIRC showing it off of the zip codes the US Census buerea uses for the MSA boundaries:

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/31000US36740-orlando-kissimmee-sanford-fl-metro-area/

As for the new tax, that's up to the Orangians ( or whatever a citizen of orange county is called ).  If I lived there, I'd be asking how it is that the county takes in 20% more tax revenue than the state average yet is in the bottom 1/3 for transportation spending.    What's it going if not into transportation?

I understand how big the Orlando metro is. Orlando has 2.5 million people right now. To grow to over 5 million in a decade would be ridiculous and impossible. That is why I asked.

Maybe Orlando can at least get a connection of Sunrail to MCO especially with Brightline going in there.

middleman

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 09:45:25 PM »
The Orlando CSA, which includes the Daytona, Lakeland, and Villages MSA, is over 4 million as of 2018. At 20% growth, it will be over 5 mill.
The wheel is turning and you can't slow down,
You can't let go and you can't hold on,
You can't go back and you can't stand still,
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will.