Author Topic: Exciting new empty lot!  (Read 1585 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Exciting new empty lot!
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2019, 07:56:42 PM »
That's true. They should be paying people to come down there.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

FlaBoy

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2019, 03:42:28 PM »
That's true. They should be paying people to come down there.

I will say this, the grass and the removal of the parking deck might be an upgrade over the old Courthouse. Opens up Bay St. to the water. It is certainly more visually pleasing. The fact old City Hall came down is still a shame.

DTWD_NW904

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2019, 08:09:52 PM »
This is so embarrassing SMH

Ivegotasecret

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2019, 10:11:33 AM »
I hope I am wrong, but I fear that with all the focus of developing areas near the sports complex, there just is not enough population or money available to sustain decent growth in what is the old core of downtown. The courthouse/city hall site is on the fringe of that area, and the Landing is in the middle of it. Only because both of those sites are on the river is there any chance for development any time soon, and if another economic downturn (Note that I avoided the “r” word.) hits us, the city will need a lot of lawnmowers for a long time.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2019, 10:24:53 AM »
Does anyone else find this hilariously embarrassing?

The City is advertising the former courthouse lot as – get this – "an event lawn with a view". The article comically goes on to admit that no one has reached out to the City with interest to schedule an event there. This is a prime example of the City's flawed thinking that empty grass space will magically attract life downtown.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/lawn-with-a-view-available-for-your-next-event

You're ideology is creating a mountain out of an amoeba hill.

No one should be surprised that an unimproved property made available for rental just last week hasn't had any takers in the course of this last week.  The market isn't overflowing with the type of small events that would kosher with having to bring in portapotties, no kitchen facilities, et al.

Question ---> Did the city and/or demo company settle with the property to the north of old city hall, the one they damaged?  I can't remember seeing anything yet.