Author Topic: Adult Changing Tables  (Read 535 times)

Steve

• The Jaxson
Adult Changing Tables
« on: August 22, 2019, 10:37:53 AM »
Thoughts on this:

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/the-mendenhall-report-new-city-ordinance-requires-adult-changing-tables

Ordinance 2019-646, introduced by Becton, was approved as an emergency July 23.

It requires some businesses with a public restroom to install an adult changing table if they are undertaking new construction or existing building renovations of more than 50%.

Not sure I get this. To be clear: I definitely agree with trying to help the disabled. It's just the right thing to do. But, read this:

Restaurants with seating for at least 50 people, shopping centers larger than 25,000 square feet and retailers with more than 5,000 square feet also fall under the requirement.

Here's what I don't get:

- Unless I'm wrong, BABY changing tables aren't required in all of these places. As a parent of baby/toddler twins I'm all for more changing tables and I'm sure I could use an adult changing table for a baby, but this seems like a LOT. For example, many retailers that are 5,000 sqFt don't even have a restroom open to the public. Additionally, there are some tiny restaurants that seat 50 people - where would they put this?

Again - not wanting to be unfriendly to disabled folks and those that care for them. But, can this even be done?

civil42806

Re: Adult Changing Tables
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 11:51:08 AM »
Maybe the "littles" lobby is stronger than I thought

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 12:46:43 PM »
Maybe this an ADA thing. I don't think babies are a protected class or whatever. Who knows. I've never seen an adult changing table (though I assume they'd be suitable for babies and children as well).
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

acme54321

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 01:20:36 PM »
There has to be more to this.  Sounds like it would take up a massive amount of space.  Also it seems like you would need to be in a specialized facility with multiple people to assist in changing an adult that is incompactitated to the extent of needing the table.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 01:34:47 PM »
There has to be more to this.  Sounds like it would take up a massive amount of space.  Also it seems like you would need to be in a specialized facility with multiple people to assist in changing an adult that is incompactitated to the extent of needing the table.

Not so sure about the multiple people thing. But the whole thing is odd and I've never heard of this before.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 02:00:40 PM »

Not so sure about the multiple people thing. But the whole thing is odd and I've never heard of this before.

Agreed. Aside from a building code update I'm not sure why this was slammed home as an Emergency bill.

Kerry

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 04:04:59 PM »
This is about as stupid as it gets.  If you're changing your child on a dirty bathroom floor that is your choice.  You might just have to decide that your child has limitations and learn to live with it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 04:07:36 PM by Kerry »
Third Place

marcuscnelson

• Generation Z - Totally Screwed
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 05:24:28 PM »
This is about as stupid as it gets.  If you're changing your child on a dirty bathroom floor that is your choice.  You might just have to decide that your child has limitations and learn to live with it.

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here, Kerry. Are people supposed to just not change their children? Or just never leave home? What are you asking for? What does "learn to live with it" mean?

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 07:54:42 AM »
Yea, not sure I get your point here man. This wasn’t a discussion on child changing table.