Author Topic: What attractions do you want in Downtown Jax?  (Read 1461 times)

Downtown Osprey

Re: What attractions do you want in Downtown Jax?
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2019, 11:36:06 AM »
I always thought a well-done museum dedicated to "southern rock" could be a draw for Jacksonville. The city actually has quite a few ties to the beginnings of the genre so its placement here would seem genuine. Plus, it would be something unique as opposed to the usual aquarium/ferris wheel.

Perhaps something similar to the National Blues Museum in St. Louis:
https://www.nationalbluesmuseum.org/visitor-info/

I would like to echo this sentiment. It blows my mind that we as a city don't take any pride in essentially being the birthplace of southern rock. Yeah, they put up a sign outside the Van Zant house but c'mon. We should be screaming through the rooftop that we have such a rich music history in our own backyard. I would love to see some sort of a mix of a museum/brewery that is all things southern rock. Think intuition mixed with a museum. Hell, you could activate an entire music district. Something, ANYTHING.

Ken_FSU

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2019, 11:56:26 AM »
A night club or two (or 3, or 4, or 5, etc.).

Honest, old man (in his 30s) question:

Do people still go to nightclubs?

Bars and breweries seem to be thriving, but you don't see a lot of new nightclubs.

The Miamis and New Yorks and LAs are always going to have big club scenes, but do you see a lot of clubs springing up in our sister cities?

Downtown Osprey

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2019, 12:06:42 PM »

Bars and breweries seem to be thriving, but you don't see a lot of new nightclubs.

The Miamis and New Yorks and LAs are always going to have big club scenes, but do you see a lot of clubs springing up in our sister cities?

I think Orlando has a handful of them. More so on the EDM type of vibe (which I guess is what Myth is?) Would probably work well in a downtown environment.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2019, 01:05:47 PM »
More so on the EDM type of vibe (which I guess is what Myth is?) Would probably work well in a downtown environment.

LOL... that scene was thriving here and could have competed with any other city from about '95-'01.  Gainesville as well.

When DARE started raiding clubs every weekend, the party was over and it's never come back.

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2019, 01:13:20 PM »

I think a lot of it depends on your interests and background. In general, I've read that nightclubs are declining across North America (bars are also starting to decline, but not at nearly the same pace). But for some groups, they're as strong as ever.

Fun fact: James Weldon Johnson's novel The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man from 1911 has a scene featuring going to "the club".
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

FlaBoy

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2019, 02:19:32 PM »

Club scene is definitely out there especially in college areas. I think the mood nowadays though is a bar that is set up for dancing and mixes the two. Downtown Orlando has a bunch of them as does Ybor City.

Ken_FSU

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2019, 02:25:19 PM »
I think a lot of it depends on your interests and background.

Whatever the opposite of fast-dancing and noise is  ;D