Author Topic: Lenny's Lawn: The Grass Field Replacing the Landing  (Read 2382 times)

Kerry

Re: Lenny's Lawn: The Grass Field Replacing the Landing
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2019, 11:05:53 AM »
I am not in Jax and my family isn't as plugged in as they should be, but friends have told me there's no real vocal opposition to tearing down the Landing and replacing it with a lawn or to the $230 million dollar entertainment...thing at Lot J. Is this true? Are most Jax residents in favor of these things? Does Curry have a lot of support or is he riding roughshod over the opposition?

I think the issue we're also facing is that downtown really hasn't worked for over a generation. I'm in my mid 30's and my generation doesn't ever know a lively Downtown Jacksonville. My in-laws (as they've been here MUCH longer than my parents) haven't seen a vibrant downtown in decades either.

In short - the general public I believe has become so jaded about downtown that at this point is sort of like the adults in Peanuts. I think most people would like to see it happen, but since we've been talking about downtown revitalization since the 1971 master plan that presents a challenge.

Exactly what I mean when I say the problems with urbanization in Jax are cultural.  We have a population that just doesn't know anything else except low-density sprawl.

On a side note, my wife who is a typical Jax resident asked why traffic gets so much worse when school starts.  It is something that in years past she just accepted as a given but never understood why.  She is finally starting to connect the dots.
Third Place

Papa33

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2019, 04:31:14 PM »
https://news.wjct.org/post/sleiman-enterprises-acquires-3-san-marco-square-buildings

I can't help but think this and his previous purchase of the Lakewood Promenade is a big FU to Lenny Curry!

Kerry

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2019, 04:51:26 PM »
I hope he doesn't do to San Marco Sq what he did to The Landing.
Third Place

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2019, 05:12:35 PM »
I'd be willing to put money down that Sleiman gets those buildings leased years before Curry gets his plans for Landing Riverfront Park drawn up.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

tufsu1

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2019, 04:29:20 PM »
^ hey fences are now down on the former courthouse and annex site - Lenny's team moving at light speed! #winning

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2019, 04:51:09 PM »
Nice! I'm sure people must be flocking down to lay and roll around in downtown's new urban public space.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali