Author Topic: Are You Okay Investing $233 Million For Lot J?  (Read 6892 times)

Charles Hunter

Re: Are You Okay Investing $233 Million For Lot J?
« Reply #150 on: August 13, 2019, 05:49:29 PM »
There's an interesting idea in a couple of these posts.
Tie the quarter-billion in funding to a 10 year lease extension.

Ken_FSU

« Reply #151 on: August 13, 2019, 06:14:29 PM »

Personally, I love the idea.

Unfortunately, I think it's going to be more of a case of:

1) Play nice on Lot J, and the Jags only request $100-$200 million in stadium upgrades (specifically a roof) in exchange for a 10-year extension.

2) Don't play nice on Lot J, and the Jags start beating the drum for a new stadium early to make up for that lost revenue from Lot J.

Kerry

« Reply #152 on: August 13, 2019, 11:27:37 PM »

Personally, I love the idea.

Unfortunately, I think it's going to be more of a case of:

1) Play nice on Lot J, and the Jags only request $100-$200 million in stadium upgrades (specifically a roof) in exchange for a 10-year extension.

2) Don't play nice on Lot J, and the Jags start beating the drum for a new stadium early to make up for that lost revenue from Lot J.

If they build the new stadium in St Johns County I would be all for it.   That makes me giddy just thinking about it.  It would be a circus.
Third Place

minder

« Reply #153 on: Yesterday at 07:49:45 PM »
Again on here the obsession with anything within a stone's throw of the Bank of America Tower. I've no idea why people keep pigeon holing the growth of the city in this small area as if it's the be all.

Face it folks, the landing is dead, and with or without it, there's empty storefronts and failed businesses all over the centre of downtown. The focus is on Brooklyn and the Sports Complex and the best way forward now is for Downtown to organically grow as a result in the middle.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #154 on: Yesterday at 08:08:51 PM »
^There's more going on in Downtown right now than the Sports Complex.  That story will remain the same even if we do provide $233.3 million in incentives for the hope of seeing a 200 room hotel, 300 apartments, 120,000 square feet of new office space and a smaller, modern version of the Landing all materialize a mile down the street, ten years from now.

Why? Because for $18.5 million in incentives, the combination of the ten projects below, (half of which are already underway) within a five minute walk of Hemming Park, will bring 400 hotel rooms, 340 apartments, 221,000 square feet of new office space, 375,000 square feet of adaptive reuse office space, 55,000 square feet of ground floor retail, three rooftop restaurant/bars, five ground floor restaurants, an underground speakeasy and an urban bodega to the actual downtown core.

Opinions about barbells and hopes of something at the stadium being the game changer to transform a district a mile down the street are fine. Yet, when we start looking at the numbers and development timelines, you really begin to see how silly and wasteful all of this "gamechanger" nonsense is.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:10:32 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

FlaBoy

« Reply #155 on: Yesterday at 11:25:01 PM »
Again on here the obsession with anything within a stone's throw of the Bank of America Tower. I've no idea why people keep pigeon holing the growth of the city in this small area as if it's the be all.

Face it folks, the landing is dead, and with or without it, there's empty storefronts and failed businesses all over the centre of downtown. The focus is on Brooklyn and the Sports Complex and the best way forward now is for Downtown to organically grow as a result in the middle.

Is $233 million in incentives for the sports complex "organic" in any way? There is nothing about the hundreds of millions of dollars proposed in public money between this plan, Daily's Place, the Hart Expressway, etc. Brooklyn has certainly been organic.