Author Topic: AEW Is Making Jacksonville A Wrestling Hotspot  (Read 879 times)

Tacachale

• Administrator
AEW Is Making Jacksonville A Wrestling Hotspot
« on: August 01, 2019, 09:36:14 AM »

Jacksonville-based All Elite Wrestling is disrupting the pro wrestling world - and boosting the River City's profile as an entertainment destination.

Read more: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/aew-is-making-jacksonville-a-wrestling-hotspot/
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Captain Zissou

Re: AEW Is Making Jacksonville A Wrestling Hotspot
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 09:49:41 AM »
Hell yeah brother.

pierre

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 10:24:17 AM »
I don't pretend to know much about wrestling. If it gets events where people travel here, it's a good thing.

Snaketoz

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 10:54:08 AM »
Yep, we need wrasslin', more monster trucks, chiropractors, and pawn shops.

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 11:35:19 AM »
This is awesome. Like others, I know very little about pro wrestling but I welcome the eyeballs, the visitors and the economic boost.

Backstory: I'm in China and a few days ago I went to see a violin performance by my long-time virtuoso friend. Went to dinner with the artists and small crew and in the car ride was talking to the presenter of the recital who is also the principal bassist for the Royal Philharmonia in Bangkok. When he heard I live in Miami, Florida he immediately said that he and his wife had just visited...Jacksonville.

"Do you know it?"
"Yes that is where I am from. What brought you to Jacksonville?"
"We were visiting our close friends. They live on a beautiful beach, very few people."
"Is that in Ponte Vedra?"
"Yes yes that is it. Ponte Vedra"
"Did you enjoy it?"
"Yes. I love to go to pawn shops. Jacksonville has so many pawn shops."

Captain Zissou

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 12:33:25 PM »
I don't follow WWE anymore, but I did growing up because some friends were related to WCW a wrestler and avid fans.  I will 100% be at the next AEW event in Jax.  Looks like a great time.

pierre

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 12:51:57 PM »

Yes. Who could forget the commercials during the Gator Bowl about all the fine pawn shops to visit in Jacksonville.

KenFSU

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 12:55:28 PM »
Great article!

One of the most weirdly underreported stories of the year, locally.

Shad Khan and his son launch new wrestling promotion to compete with WWE, sign best performers in the world, secure major primetime television deal, and as one of their first shows, holds a fundraiser at Daily's Place that raises $150,000 for victims of the Landing shooting.

Literally crickets across local media.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 02:23:58 PM »
Great article!

One of the most weirdly underreported stories of the year, locally.

Shad Khan and his son launch new wrestling promotion to compete with WWE, sign best performers in the world, secure major primetime television deal, and as one of their first shows, holds a fundraiser at Daily's Place that raises $150,000 for victims of the Landing shooting.

Literally crickets across local media.

Thanks Ken! Yeah, this story really isn't getting the coverage it deserves locally. I didn't realize until I started researching it, but AEW's really a pretty big deal already as far as attendance goes. If things keep going as they are, it'll be pretty damn huge.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

MusicMan

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 05:37:20 PM »
And provide work for former Jags players...

Ken_FSU

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 10:34:45 PM »
More in the "the local media doesn't realize what a big deal this is," category:

AEW's next four shows have all sold out in minutes, crashing Ticketmaster's website on two separate occasions.

Execs in the event and arena industry are saying that demand for tickets is as big as the hottest concert tours of the last few years.

Chicago sold all 14,000 tickets at the Sears Center in less than 15 minutes:
https://www.si.com/wrestling/2019/06/14/aew-all-out-tickets-chicago-sellout

DC for their television debut sold out 17,000 tickets at Capitol One Arena in under an hour:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alfredkonuwa/2019/08/02/aew-on-tnt-tickets-sell-out-the-capitol-one-arena-in-hours-amid-continued-demand/#24ad547aebff

Boston and Philadelphia both sold out almost immediately (nearly 18,000) for weeks two and three of the TNT primetime show:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alfredkonuwa/2019/08/16/aew-stays-hot-sells-out-tnt-shows-in-boston-and-philadelphia/#4c04c2066424

Just crazy numbers for this Jacksonville-based company.

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 12:14:34 AM »
Although the brisk ticket sales for AEW in Jax and elsewhere are very promising, the real test will be the ratings and reception the league gets once its on TNT. If wrestling fans really take to the broadcasts, that will start some legitimate buzz about AEW. And I really hope their success along with their promising treatment of their wrestlers leads to the other wrestling companies improving the conditions, benefits, and opportunities for their roster of performers.