Author Topic: City funding proposed for Jacksonville’s historic Norman Studios  (Read 1485 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
One million dollars has been set aside in the new city budget to renovate the only remaining piece of Jacksonville’s once-busy silent film-making past so its silver screen history can be opened for regular public visits.

Announced last week in Mayor Lenny Curry’s budget proposal, the funding would be used to renovate the inside of the National Historic Landmark Norman Studios’ Production Building at 6337 Arlington Road so it can become a bona fide museum.

Called a “rare, extant silent film studio and the only surviving race film studio in America” when it received that federal landmark status in 2015, the city funding still must be approved by City Council. But if it is, the funding would be a boon to a 103-year-old facility now open by invitation only, studio board president Devan Stuart Lesley said.

Full Article: https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20190728/city-funding-proposed-for-jacksonvilles-historic-norman-studios
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Wacca Pilatka

Re: City funding proposed for Jacksonville’s historic Norman Studios
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 10:02:07 AM »
Yes, please!

Devan and Rita Reagan have done heroic work lobbying for the preservation of this important piece of Jacksonville's historic legacy.

I had the joy of taking one of the tours by appointment.

As much reason as there is to be ticked at the Curry administration for the Landing and old City Hall debacles, etc., I do credit them for supporting the Norman and Groundwork.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 10:06:17 AM by Wacca Pilatka »
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Charles Hunter

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 01:05:35 PM »
[snark mode ON]
Be careful!  If Curry is putting money into it, demolition must be in the picture.
[snark mode OFF]

This is great news (not the snark). I've been inside the studios during some Arlington event or another. Fascinating.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 05:25:06 PM »
I just watched a webcast of "The Flying Ace" followed by a Q&A moderated by Barbara Wingo of the Norman Studios Museum and a representative of the Black Film Center/Archive at Indiana University. Very interesting.  There is another presentation tomorrow (Monday, Feb. 22) night (7:30 PM Pacific time, so 10:30 PM here), this one by Retroformat Silent Films https://www.retroformat.org/?fbclid=IwAR2SpQZFsueHEnyFEgSLz3hS_pq6K7AUG8b2BYFRTycecE2apQaPQNMma7M