Author Topic: JEA Board to Consider Mass Layoffs/Privitization  (Read 16881 times)

jaxlongtimer

Re: JEA Board to Consider Mass Layoffs/Privitization
« Reply #165 on: January 08, 2020, 07:01:16 PM »
This is certainly interesting, but I’d love a little more context. How often did Curry and McElroy speak? Alvin Brown and McElroy? Curry and VanLoh (head of the airport Authority)? Going all the way back to Delaney’s admin even-how often did Delaney chat with the head of JEA then (aside from the weeks on either side of a hurricane)?

I mean clearly this seems high, but I have no idea how often the Mayor talks with the head of these agencies?

If you look at the alignment on the calls with JEA actions, as they lay out on the link, you may find it more interesting regarding the timing of the calls, not just how many.

Circumstantial at best.

I want Curry and Zahn nailed to the wall because common sense says this wasn’t on the up and up, but this doesn’t do it.

Steve, another log on the fire pointing to Curry's direct involvement in the JEA shenanigans:

Nate Monroe: Former JEA vice president says CEO Zahn worked with mayor’s top staffer on “political issues”:

In a series of text messages sent near the beginning of 2019, a JEA vice president in charge of public affairs opined to then-CEO Aaron Zahn on why they had reached a rocky period in their relationship: Zahn began leaning more heavily on political advice from Mayor Lenny Curry’s top staffer and his political consultant, and ignoring his own official...

...“Let’s be honest, you stated that you are working the political issues with Brian and Tim,” Hightower texted. He was referring to Brian Hughes, the mayor’s chief administrative officer, and Tim Baker, the head of Curry’s political operation, he said Wednesday....

...The texts further frustrate repeated efforts by the mayor to distance himself from the burning controversy at JEA and the push to privatize the city-owned utility, and the correspondence suggests Curry and his advisers played a more active role helping Zahn as he put together a plan to solicit bids from private companies to acquire all or part of JEA...

https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20200108/nate-monroe-former-jea-vice-president-says-ceo-zahn-worked-with-mayorrsquos-top-staffer-on-ldquopolitical-issuesrdquo

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #166 on: January 09, 2020, 10:09:48 AM »
And, here's the chaser from Chris Hong @ the T-U:

https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20200108/jea-paid-25000-to-lobbyist-with-business-ties-to-then-ceo-aaron-zahn-through-jaxchamber

JaxChamber CEO Daniel Davis confirmed Wednesday that a JEA official instructed one of his staffers to hire Deno Hicks, a local lobbyist who at the time had an undisclosed business partnership with then-CEO Aaron Zahn, to raise money for an innovation conference that JEA and the Chamber organized in 2018.

This has past the "Bananas" level.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #167 on: January 09, 2020, 10:31:56 AM »
I guess the roaches do run for cover when the lights come on. Who would have thought another attempt to sell JEA would lead to such a turn of events.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Papa33

« Reply #168 on: January 09, 2020, 10:58:29 AM »
The Mayor's office will try to gaslight its way out of this, with the help of the GC's office, and in the age of Trump, anything is possible.  The GC's office ought to recuse itself on any matters dealing with this as they are equally tainted.  And did anyone really believe Zahn and GC would hammer out a "deal" in two weeks??  There is a bunch of ass covering going on on the 4th Floor of the St. James building.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #169 on: January 09, 2020, 12:31:37 PM »
Related, Carlucci (at midnight last night) called for Brian Hughes’ (Curry’s Chief Admin Officer) head.

Oh boy.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #170 on: January 09, 2020, 12:46:40 PM »

Jacksonville City Councilman Matt Carlucci makes midnight call for Brian Hughes’ resignation

Midnight call for Jax Mayor’s right hand man to move on.

By A.G. GancarskionJanuary 9, 2020

Jacksonville media, including this writer, received word from a Jacksonville City Councilman that he wants the Mayor’s Chief Administrative Officer to resign.

The email came through just after Midnight Thursday.

Councilman Matt Carlucci said it was “time for … Brian Hughes, who has become a troublesome liability to the Mayor’s Office to resign.”

“His presence in City Hall, in my opinion, based on my experience, has been an impediment to our city moving forward and this has lead to the worst governmental environment and chemistry that I have ever witnessed or experienced in my public service career,” Carlucci added.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/315291-carlucci-wants-hughes-resign?fbclid=IwAR3friu5DwF_aiQu6ET_MWulp4dw75oH67VKYSP3yaRHZ9hebBzNyr2ktJw
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Papa33

« Reply #171 on: January 09, 2020, 12:59:42 PM »
Related, Carlucci (at midnight last night) called for Brian Hughes’ (Curry’s Chief Admin Officer) head.

Oh boy.
Why stop there?  How about his boss?

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #172 on: January 10, 2020, 07:49:47 PM »
Unbelievable!  Florida Power & Light, during the "bidding process" for JEA, rents a Jags suite adjacent to, and open to, the City Hall suite and then plied Brian Hughes, Tim Baker and others with eats and drinks, all during the "cone of silence" period.  And, they all deny anything untoward occurred during their interactions.  How would you feel if you were one of the other bidders for JEA?

Add this to all the other info coming out and tell me the Mayor wasn't rigging this process from beginning to end.

https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20200109/despite-rsquocone-of-silencersquo-over-jea-sale-top-mayoral-official-spoke-to-florida-power-and-light-ceo-during-private-party-at-jaguars-game

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #174 on: January 13, 2020, 08:16:01 PM »
Wow. No way Melissa Nelson turns it over to the feds with no evidence.

$10 says someone is going to jail.

Kerry

« Reply #175 on: January 13, 2020, 09:32:26 PM »
Wow. No way Melissa Nelson turns it over to the feds with no evidence.

$10 says someone is going to jail.

Waiting for all the emails to come out.
Third Place

Papa33

« Reply #176 on: February 25, 2020, 05:59:23 PM »
I want someone to ask the mayor (publicly) if he shoulders any blame for the aftereffects of the failed sale?

Captain Zissou

« Reply #177 on: February 26, 2020, 09:31:49 AM »
https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/diamond-jea-privatization-effort-based-on-the-biggest-lie-ever-told-in-our-citys-history

This article was pretty crazy.  It also was pushed off the front page of the Daily Record much more quickly than I expected....

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #178 on: February 26, 2020, 09:51:22 AM »
I want someone to ask the mayor (publicly) if he shoulders any blame for the aftereffects of the failed sale?

The JEA situation at best exposed Curry to be borderline incompetent.  At worst, it looks like he and his cronies were trying to enrich themselves on the public dime.