Author Topic: NASCAR  (Read 1409 times)

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: NASCAR
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2019, 01:21:40 PM »
BTW, money-wise they're fine until 2024 as that's when their TV contract expires. However, they have until 2021-2022 to fix it as their new TV contract will be a fraction of the current one unless they fix this.

Kerry

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2019, 05:53:38 PM »
This is why I suggested the format change.  Make it a team sport instead of an individual sport.  It would make it a lot more interesting.  It works for cycling and that is just guys riding bicycles.
Third Place

Peter Griffin

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2019, 06:02:16 PM »
This is why I suggested the format change.  Make it a team sport instead of an individual sport.  It would make it a lot more interesting.  It works for cycling and that is just guys riding bicycles.

You sayin' you wanna see a lil' bit of that ole' Shake and Bake on those warm Talladega nights?

How about for a little fun we strap a kilo of Colombian bang bang to the bottom of the cars and see how long it takes 'fore the 5-0 show up?

Charles Hunter

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2019, 08:39:38 PM »
Don't they have teams already?  Kerry's proposal would just make it out in the open, instead of the [possible] fiction that each driver is out for themselves, when they [probably] working with each other.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2019, 05:17:06 AM »
I think they should use sentient cars - no drivers. Disney has managed three fairly successful films with that idea, so it must be a winner.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Kerry

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2019, 07:23:35 AM »
Don't they have teams already?  Kerry's proposal would just make it out in the open, instead of the [possible] fiction that each driver is out for themselves, when they [probably] working with each other.

They do have teams but only in the capacity that they share a garage and have a common owner.  On the track there are no teams.
Third Place

acme54321

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2019, 07:50:36 AM »
I think they should use sentient cars - no drivers. Disney has managed three fairly successful films with that idea, so it must be a winner.

You know, a race where all cars were identical, except the teams built their own AI to drive the car might be kind on interesting...

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2019, 09:21:46 AM »

You know, a race where all cars were identical, except the teams built their own AI to drive the car might be kind on interesting...

It couldn't be any worse!
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2019, 09:38:00 AM »

Personally I think the best thing NASCAR could do is throw away their existing rules and bring back the rules and format from 1999, with some safety rules added but I’m far from a NASCAR expert. You might be right.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2019, 10:09:48 AM »

Personally I think the best thing NASCAR could do is throw away their existing rules and bring back the rules and format from 1999, with some safety rules added but I’m far from a NASCAR expert. You might be right.

I don't follow NASCAR at all, but in my daily sports-themed news, didn't I hear that they were removing restrictor plates for one of the long tracks this year?  Talledega or Daytona?
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Kerry

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2019, 10:38:45 AM »
Two more things to add:

1)  Unless a car was involved in an accident or suffered mechanical failure, no pitting during Yellow flags.  Green flag stops only.  This would facility the team approach where everyone on the team pits together
2)  Caution laps don't count.  No simultaneous Green, white, checker finishes.
Third Place

Charles Hunter

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2019, 11:04:21 AM »
Kerry, even as one who doesn't follow NASCAR, I wholeheartedly agree with your second point.  Perhaps there should be have to be "X" (5?) clean laps before the checker flag.  And, this is where I suspect some "teamwork" takes place now.  Say Billy Bob, the star driver of Team Kerry, is leading with a couple laps to go, but Steve is gaining on him.  Team Kerry's newest member, Randy Rookie, is with a group of cars a couple laps down. Randy gets a signal from Team Kerry, and he taps the fender of another driver, causing a wreck, and a Green White Checker finish for a Billy Bob win. 

Of course, I may be way out in left field (or would 'the infield' be better for racing?), as I know nothing about how all that works.

Kerry

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2019, 09:40:10 AM »

I don't follow NASCAR at all, but in my daily sports-themed news, didn't I hear that they were removing restrictor plates for one of the long tracks this year?  Talledega or Daytona?

Using my rules restrictor plates wouldn't be necessary because fuel economy would be as important as speed.  If you could only stop for gas during green flags one less stop could be a big deal.
Third Place

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2019, 10:23:03 AM »
They're not for fuel economy.

They 'restrict' the amount of air through the intake to act as essentially a governor to prevent the cars from going over a certain speed under their own power.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Kerry

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2019, 12:14:07 PM »
They're not for fuel economy.

They 'restrict' the amount of air through the intake to act as essentially a governor to prevent the cars from going over a certain speed under their own power.

Yes, but speed uses more fuel exponentially.  If they want to increase fuel economy they will slow down on their own.  The restrictor plate won't be needed.
Third Place