Author Topic: NASCAR  (Read 1408 times)

Kerry

NASCAR
« on: July 15, 2019, 09:20:20 AM »
I think we can all agree that NASCAR's popularity has taken a hug hit over the past 10 years.  I was a huge NASCAR fan for decades but after all the changes NASCAR made I haven't watched a full race in the past 10 years.  NASCAR took all the fun out of it and now it is really just boring.  The Chase is the dumbest idea ever.  For the past 6 years I have been watching the Tour de France religiously, never miss a minute, and attendance and viewership of cycling is the highest ever and it got me to thinking - why not apply cycling rules to NASCAR.  The more I thought about the more brilliant it seemed to be.

For those that don't know cycling here is basically how it would work.

1)  The Series champ would win based on time, not points.  The driver that completes the entire season in the fastest time would be the winner.

2)  Each race would be like a cycling stage.  There would be a stage winner (the race winner now) but the time would be calculated like cycling.  If 5 cars cross the line grouped together all 5 cars would get the same time.  If 20 cars cross together all 20 get the same time.  Drivers finishing 1, 2, and 3rd would get time bonuses.

3) Cars finishing one more laps down would get their average full green flag lap time added to them for every lap they didn't finish plus the time it took them to finish their final lap.

4)  Cars that don't finish (accidents or mechanical) would get the results of step 3 plus a penalty plus a penalty for every caution lap they missed.  Crash early in a couple of races and you have no chance of winning a championship.

5)  There would be teams of 5 cars all painted the same color (even if they have different sponsor decals).  The objective of the team would be just like in cycling - help your primary driver get the fastest time.  Your team driver wins all of the team mates get paid a share of the winnings.

6). The car in first place for the season would be painted yellow so everyone knows he is the season leader.  There could even be short track, road course, superspeedway, and new comer competitions.  Cars would be painted a specific color to designate the leader in each of those categories.

Thoughts?
Third Place

Adam White

• Facebook
Re: NASCAR
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 09:46:46 AM »
I think we can all agree that NASCAR's popularity has taken a hug hit over the past 10 years.  I was a huge NASCAR fan for decades but after all the changes NASCAR made I haven't watched a full race in the past 10 years.  NASCAR took all the fun out of it and now it is really just boring.  The Chase is the dumbest idea ever.  For the past 6 years I have been watching the Tour de France religiously, never miss a minute, and attendance and viewership of cycling is the highest ever and it got me to thinking - why not apply cycling rules to NASCAR.  The more I thought about the more brilliant it seemed to be.

For those that don't know cycling here is basically how it would work.

1)  The Series champ would win based on time, not points.  The driver that completes the entire season in the fastest time would be the winner.

2)  Each race would be like a cycling stage.  There would be a stage winner (the race winner now) but the time would be calculated like cycling.  If 5 cars cross the line grouped together all 5 cars would get the same time.  If 20 cars cross together all 20 get the same time.  Drivers finishing 1, 2, and 3rd would get time bonuses.

3) Cars finishing one more laps down would get their average full green flag lap time added to them for every lap they didn't finish plus the time it took them to finish their final lap.

4)  Cars that don't finish (accidents or mechanical) would get the results of step 3 plus a penalty plus a penalty for every caution lap they missed.  Crash early in a couple of races and you have no chance of winning a championship.

5)  There would be teams of 5 cars all painted the same color (even if they have different sponsor decals).  The objective of the team would be just like in cycling - help your primary driver get the fastest time.  Your team driver wins all of the team mates get paid a share of the winnings.

6). The car in first place for the season would be painted yellow so everyone knows he is the season leader.  There could even be short track, road course, superspeedway, and new comer competitions.  Cars would be painted a specific color to designate the leader in each of those categories.

Thoughts?

You're basically trying to put lipstick on a pig. NASCAR is boring, regardless. Unless you like watching a bunch of lookalike cars drive in circles for hours.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Kerry

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 12:26:12 PM »
All racing except for Trans Am are in look-a-like cars.
Third Place

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 01:08:41 PM »

I guess you've never watched WRC or WTCC (amongst other competitions).

You never disappoint, Kerry!

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 02:27:02 PM »

But those series' are secretly owned by Shad Khan and profits from that racing is going to Lot J.

On the other hand, Trans Am racing is owned by the Oklahoma City government.

KenFSU

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 05:35:32 PM »
No thoughts on NASCAR Kerry, but what do you think about the Thunder going full rebuild?

Do you hate Paul George?

Would you buy out Chris Paul?

Charles Hunter

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 06:16:34 PM »

< snip >

Do you hate Paul George?

< snip >

I think John Ringo is better.

Thank you. Thank you. I'll be here all week. Be sure to tip your server.  :D

Kerry

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 09:34:30 AM »
No thoughts on NASCAR Kerry, but what do you think about the Thunder going full rebuild?

Do you hate Paul George?

Would you buy out Chris Paul?

Nothing wrong with going scorched earth.  They weren't going to win a championship with their core team.  I'll miss Westbrook though.  They have a ton of first round picks over the next few years.
Third Place

Kerry

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 09:35:22 AM »

But those series' are secretly owned by Shad Khan and profits from that racing is going to Lot J.

Honestly, is that necessary?
Third Place

Kerry

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 09:37:26 AM »

I don't.  I was think more like Indy and Formula 1.
Third Place

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 09:48:05 AM »

Perhaps no, but is it necessary to trace everything negative that happens downtown to Shad Khan and Lot J?

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 10:11:57 AM »

I find F1 to be mildly interesting - at least they have to turn the wheel both ways. And the setting can be kind of interesting - racing on city streets and stuff. But I much prefer rally and touring car racing.

I get that people like NASCAR and it's just not my thing. I like baseball and a lot of people think that's incredibly dull. I didn't realise NASCAR was losing fans - I seem to recall reading (a number of years ago) that it was the most popular sport in the USA or something. Or one of them, at least.

Kerry

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2019, 10:28:14 AM »
NASCAR is in the tank.  Tracks stopped announcing attendance a few years ago and TV viewership is way down.  Many tracks are more than half empty.
Third Place

Kerry

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2019, 10:29:13 AM »

Perhaps no, but is it necessary to trace everything negative that happens downtown to Shad Khan and Lot J?

It is when it is though.
Third Place

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2019, 01:18:19 PM »

I find F1 to be mildly interesting - at least they have to turn the wheel both ways. And the setting can be kind of interesting - racing on city streets and stuff. But I much prefer rally and touring car racing.

I get that people like NASCAR and it's just not my thing. I like baseball and a lot of people think that's incredibly dull. I didn't realise NASCAR was losing fans - I seem to recall reading (a number of years ago) that it was the most popular sport in the USA or something. Or one of them, at least.

To Kerry's point, NASCAR has had a REALLY rough decade. I equate it to a retail store when they change format to get new customers only to not only not gain new customers, but lose the ones they had.

A few key popular drivers retired (Jeff Gordon, Dale Jr., etc.) and the new guys just aren't as popular.
People not keeping up with the format changes.
A lot of people feel it's over-officiated (other sports have that challenge too). Some of this is for safety, but not all.
Cost (this to me is a big one as NASCAR's core traditionally was more of a blue-collar fan base. To travel to a race, the race ticket is only a small part of the cost)

Personally, I think this started a while ago. NASCAR gave up some markets like Rockingham (and eliminated 2 races in some markets like Darlington) in favor of markets in big cities. The challenge is that NASCAR in big cities in a lot of ways was a passing fad.

Finally, I think that this generation's interest in cars in general is different than those previous. A lot of this generation is happy to live in cities and ditch the car entirely if they could. If they don't have a huge interest in their own car, then you're heading uphill to begin with.