Author Topic: Armory Being RFP'd  (Read 4090 times)

Bill Hoff

Re: Armory Being RFP'd
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2019, 10:07:21 AM »
The Boca Raton grocery reps met with SPAR staff the other day. They have some interesting ideas, but who knows. Personally, I'm a fan of having a residential component. But any project would need to address the flooding issue first - and that ain't easy.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2019, 11:38:44 AM »
I always pictured the Armory as a great candidate for an arts center like the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria, but Torpedo Factory is in the midst of a dense environment with complementing uses.

I was in the Torpedo Factory last month and loved it.  My hope was for the Landing to become something similar to that, but I'd be fine with the Armory taking up that idea and running with it.

Bill Hoff

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2019, 02:57:21 PM »
I always pictured the Armory as a great candidate for an arts center like the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria, but Torpedo Factory is in the midst of a dense environment with complementing uses.

I was in the Torpedo Factory last month and loved it.  My hope was for the Landing to become something similar to that, but I'd be fine with the Armory taking up that idea and running with it.

You all might remember several years ago, a group of local arts organizations coordinated to try and transform the armory into The Artery, an arts hub directly inspired by the Torpedo Factory. Alas, city council wasn't persuaded to hand it over.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=5xNtMi4DfQY

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2019, 08:38:27 AM »
Farmers market, architecture school proposed for old Armory

The former Florida National Guard armory Downtown could become a mixed-use farmers market, greenhouse and event space -or an architecture school.

Property bidder B&H Fine Foods co-owner Barry Adkin said he proposes to turn the property into a farmers market, greenhouse/urban farm, incubator kitchens for local companies and space for performances or events.

B&H Fine Foods is based in Boca Raton, where it operates a grocery store.

Rafael Caldera of Jacksonville-based Arkest LLC
Bidder Rafael Caldera of Jacksonville-based Arkest LLC proposes to open an architecture school on the property. The school would occupy the Armory Building with the neighboring structures demolished and new ones built for the school.

Full article: https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/farmers-market-architecture-school-proposed-for-old-armory

For those who are interested in Caldera's projects, he'll be a panelist at the APA Florida First Coast Section's Affordable and Workforce Housing event this Friday in the Cathedral District. For more information on that:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/affordable-workforce-housing-tickets-68020100953
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 08:45:23 AM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2019, 08:44:30 AM »
The farmers' market sounds cool, but not enamored with the "open once a month thing." So the building will sit closed 29 days out of 30? I realize he also wants the incubator kitchen part, but....not terribly excited.

The architecture school sounds cool, but does he have a school lined up or is he starting one that he hopes to get 1,000 students.

Neither of them "wow" me, though a vacant building isn't exciting either.

Would love to know the details about the third bid.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2019, 10:56:18 AM »
The farmers' market sounds cool, but not enamored with the "open once a month thing." So the building will sit closed 29 days out of 30? I realize he also wants the incubator kitchen part, but....not terribly excited.

The architecture school sounds cool, but does he have a school lined up or is he starting one that he hopes to get 1,000 students.

Neither of them "wow" me, though a vacant building isn't exciting either.

Would love to know the details about the third bid.

A farmer's market once a month is at least realistic. There just aren't enough farmers around here to sustain something open more than about once a week. The only one that's open every day is the Jacksonville Farmer's Market, and despite the name those are almost all resellers from across the country, not actual local farmers. The other parts of that request sound more interesting to me - an urban farm, greenhouse and processing for small farmers is something we don't currently have to the extent we need.

I'm more skeptical of an architecture school. Unless he's talking about UM or the state schools, I have no idea what schools he could be talking about. Otherwise, it's some school that doesn't have architecture already. Additionally, architects have one of the highest unemployment rates of any major, and there are too many schools in the state.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Jax Farmers Market

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2019, 11:23:39 PM »
The only one that's open every day is the Jacksonville Farmer's Market, and despite the name those are almost all resellers from across the country, not actual local farmers.

Tacahale, your post to came to our attention and we would like to respectfully respond as your comment represents a common misconception.  Jacksonville Farmers Market does carry truck loads of produce and agricultural products from local farmers.  And, our vendors are all local small business owners (often minorities) working hard up to 80+ hours a week to serve their customers.

In today's world, it is not realistic for full time farmers to staff an urban-located retail or wholesale stall for up to 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year.  Nor do individual farmers always have the variety of items to attract today's one-stop convenience customers.  While we do, on occasion, have a farm family that can spare a family member to run a stall for a few days at a time, nearly all farmers find it efficient and cost effective to utilize the permanent "resellers/wholesalers" at JFM as their selling agents.  These agents not only staff the hours, they assemble a wide range of both local and non-local (i.e. items not grown or out-of-season locally) to provide the one-stop convenience that is necessary to attract customers for the local items and to compete with grocers and club stores.

Not always seen by the public, many farmers come during the very early AM hours to wholesale to JFM vendors so they can return to their farming duties.  Other JFM vendors own trucks and visit area farms to bring back harvests to JFM.

In conclusion, if you are looking for fresh local/regional produce and agricultural products, JFM has more quantity and variety in one location than any other venue in NE Florida.  And, nicely, usually at prices far lower than any other outlet.

We would also like to add that JFM is a rare outlet for variety and affordable produce, seafood and other healthy foods in a food desert.  JFM is operated for the benefit of the community so support for it is critical for it to continue well beyond the 80 years it has been in operation.

Thank you for the opportunity to present this clarification and we hope you, and others, will continue to patronize JFM vendors and, thus, support the area farms that supply them.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 11:30:01 PM by Jax Farmers Market »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2019, 06:34:51 AM »
Fort Lauderdale-based REVA Development Corp. proposes 100 units of workforce housing and a cultural arts facility at the former Florida National Guard armory Downtown.

REVA was among three groups that submitted bids to purchase the vacant city-owned historic Gothic Revival-style Armory Building at 851 N. Market St.

The more than 100-year-old building, along with an optional adjacent property with three warehouses at 928 N. Liberty St., was offered for sale by the city.

“MADE at the ARMORY” would be an adaptive reuse of the Armory Building, said Don Patterson, president of REVA Development Corp.

Full article: https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/fort-lauderdale-based-armory-bidder-plans-cultural-facility-workforce-housing
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2019, 09:16:37 AM »
Another interesting concept I don't completely get. Sounds like the housing will be on the north parcel, and the Armory would be the cultural stuff.

Nothing against any of these uses, but all of these while they sound cool in concept, aren't exactly revenue generators for the main building, a building that's older and prone to flooding.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2019, 11:08:23 AM »
The only one that's open every day is the Jacksonville Farmer's Market, and despite the name those are almost all resellers from across the country, not actual local farmers.

Tacahale, your post to came to our attention and we would like to respectfully respond as your comment represents a common misconception.  Jacksonville Farmers Market does carry truck loads of produce and agricultural products from local farmers.  And, our vendors are all local small business owners (often minorities) working hard up to 80+ hours a week to serve their customers.

In today's world, it is not realistic for full time farmers to staff an urban-located retail or wholesale stall for up to 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year.  Nor do individual farmers always have the variety of items to attract today's one-stop convenience customers.  While we do, on occasion, have a farm family that can spare a family member to run a stall for a few days at a time, nearly all farmers find it efficient and cost effective to utilize the permanent "resellers/wholesalers" at JFM as their selling agents.  These agents not only staff the hours, they assemble a wide range of both local and non-local (i.e. items not grown or out-of-season locally) to provide the one-stop convenience that is necessary to attract customers for the local items and to compete with grocers and club stores.

Not always seen by the public, many farmers come during the very early AM hours to wholesale to JFM vendors so they can return to their farming duties.  Other JFM vendors own trucks and visit area farms to bring back harvests to JFM.

In conclusion, if you are looking for fresh local/regional produce and agricultural products, JFM has more quantity and variety in one location than any other venue in NE Florida.  And, nicely, usually at prices far lower than any other outlet.

We would also like to add that JFM is a rare outlet for variety and affordable produce, seafood and other healthy foods in a food desert.  JFM is operated for the benefit of the community so support for it is critical for it to continue well beyond the 80 years it has been in operation.

Thank you for the opportunity to present this clarification and we hope you, and others, will continue to patronize JFM vendors and, thus, support the area farms that supply them.

Thank you for your response. I certainly don't mean to knock JFM or resellers in general. My point was that a producer-only market in our area, like what's proposed for the Armory, can't be expected to open every day. Our area farms simply don't grow enough to support that without produce coming in from other areas. I definitely believe that JFM provides valuable service to people who need it and is a great asset for the community.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Bill Hoff

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2019, 07:35:08 AM »
Looks like a mixed use of workforce housing, office and arts space (hypothetically) heading to The Armory building. Seems rather aspirational, but we'll see:

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/cultural-facility-workforce-housing-selected-for-armory
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 07:41:38 AM by Bill Hoff »

Bill Hoff

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2019, 08:26:22 AM »

Charles Hunter

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2019, 08:36:38 AM »
Doesn't look like they are providing much space for the Emerald Necklace, although it is hard to tell how wide that green strip is along the creek. Speaking of the creek, isn't this an area of frequent flooding? Doesn't look like they have taken that into consideration, either.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2019, 09:27:47 AM »
I like the overall concept and mix of uses. If they can pull it off, it will be huge for Springfield, the Eastside, the Cathedral District and State & Union Streets. More housing is a plus but I'd be happy if they can just activate the Armory itself. I suspect, what's shown in that quick RFP sketch will change dramatically as the components go from concept to reality.

Kerry

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2019, 10:50:06 AM »
Is it just me or is anyone getting to the point that "art space" is code for "we have no idea how to get real retail or office users here".
Third Place