Author Topic: Hemming Park Changes may effect Laura Street Corridor  (Read 6232 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Hemming Park Changes may effect Laura Street Corridor
« on: April 10, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »
Hemming Park Changes may effect Laura Street Corridor

For several months now there has been serious discussion of the development of the Laura Street Corridor to provide an initial street traffic creating backbone from whence to spread a vibrant city center development.The idea that the creation of a strip featuring destinations that are open after sundown will create walking traffic and pedestrian life at street level by giving the public a variety of things to do in a relatively compact area.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/394

tufsu1

What about the library?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 09:00:06 AM »
Good depictions, but it appears you are showing the Main Library as closing at 6pm as well.  I thought they were open until at least 8pm.  And they are building a coffee shop/cafe.

vicupstate

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 09:21:26 AM »
Great article, but I would have also included that the city should lease  out the ground floor space of the Haverty building.   It's still not too late, although time is quickly running out.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Where there's a will there's a way
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 10:23:02 AM »
Sounds more like an excuse to me.  Its not like a retail space on that corner would have to be 20,000sf.  The point is about following your own rules and putting something in place that complements the cultural attractions across the street and adds life to the park outside of weekday work hours.

If space is truly a concern, design a spot to take advantage of the super large sidewalk on the corner of Duval and Laura.  Something as small (roughly the size of a storage room) and simple as a newsstand or a true sidewalk cafe would do wonders for that area.  

Seriously, how much space does Einstein Bagels take up in the Hyatt?  Would something like that not be a benefit to or complement the existing uses in and around Hemming Plaza?

Nobody is talking about putting in a Macy's here.  Even a news stand is better than nothing.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

vicupstate

City must practice what it preaches
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 10:46:49 AM »
First Vestcor is allowed to opt out of ground floor retail for it's garage, now the city does the same.  

Rules that get ignored are useless.   This is how it happens folks.  The little decisions that get made that totally undermind the intentions of the 'master plans' .     Where the rubber meets the road, a detour is taken.   No wonder we never reach our destination.  
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Vibrancy on a larger scale
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 12:12:43 PM »
Imagine how much cooler it would be if you could start out at MOCA Jax on a Saturday morning, lunch at Quizno's, and then visit a cultural festival in Hemming Plaza.   A quick stop at the ice cream shop in City Hall Annex,  a performance at Boomtown and then walk across the street for an evening of coffee and books over at Chamblin's.

For the Hemming Plaza area to ultimately succeed, there has to be activity opening up to it on all four sides.  Unfortunately, with City Hall and the Federal Courthouse, two sides have been permanently shuttered.  That's why its important that ALL the remaining corners (Synder, City Hall Annex, and the old restaurant on the corner of Duval/Hogan) be converted into uses that stay open outside of 8 to 5 during weekdays only.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

zoo

City won't sell/lease?
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 08:15:19 PM »
Don't have much factual basis for this, but with city in St. James and Ed Ball buildings, does it seem like city's plan is to form some type of "Government Square" in Hemming Plaza?

Maybe this is the ultimate plan so the retail develops somewhere else in the core. Then the wave of vagrants that traverse downtown (on a path that leads right through Hemming Plaza) every day could just have it, as all the city workers would leave by 5:00.

gatorback

• “Know thyself.”
Re: Hemming Park Changes may effect Laura Street Corridor
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 03:44:18 AM »
I often sell those "vagrants" hot dogs, soda, and chips.  I notice most spend at Scotty's as well. You want to pick who buys and spends and where they do it???
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 03:46:30 AM by gatorback »
'As a sinner I am truly conscious of having often offended my Creator and I beg him to forgive me, but as a Queen and Sovereign, I am aware of no fault or offence for which I have to render account to anyone here below.'   Mary, queen of Scots to her jailer, Sir Amyas Paulet; October 1586

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
Re: Hemming Park Goes Dark, May Hurt Laura Street Corridor
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 05:21:19 PM »
The second you have any evening success you would likely see Subway and Quiznos stay open later.
Lenny Smash

Jaxson

• Peace of Mind blog
Re: Hemming Park Goes Dark, May Hurt Laura Street Corridor
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 10:04:43 PM »
What is the status on the Barnett Bank building?
John Louis Meeks, Jr.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 04:06:40 PM »
Really, the only thing that's changed here is Sweet Pets's.

mtraininjax

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 01:46:17 AM »
Activating the Snyder would still be a game changer for the Laura Street Corridor.

If there were ever a building in need of revitalization, this is it.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

Captain Zissou

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2015, 12:16:38 PM »
Really, the only thing that's changed here is Sweet Pets's.

That has still made a big difference.  During programmed events I see people coming and going between Sweet Pete's and Hemming.  That adds foot traffic to one of the most dead corners of Hemming.  If all sides had that kind of activity, we'd be in great shape.