Author Topic: Balanky - Time to Get Urgent on Downtown Redevelopment  (Read 927 times)

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: Balanky - Time to Get Urgent on Downtown Redevelopment
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 10:33:11 AM »
https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/developer-mike-balanky-says-there-must-be-a-sense-of-urgency-on-downtown-development

I get it.....but at the same time I feel like he doesn't completely get it. His stuff is all on the periphery of downtown....which is a huge part of the problem.

Kerry

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 10:38:54 AM »
I'm happy he wants to do something but he is still thinking 'magic bullet' projects.  Focus on housing and cultural attractions - the rest will take care of itself.   There is a massive shortage of cultural attractions in Jacksonville.  I think we could count them all on one hand and none of them are even close to each other.   Just because we have 700 sq miles doesn't mean we to sprawl across all of it.
Third Place

Kerry

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 10:40:55 AM »
https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/developer-mike-balanky-says-there-must-be-a-sense-of-urgency-on-downtown-development

I get it.....but at the same time I feel like he doesn't completely get it. His stuff is all on the periphery of downtown....which is a huge part of the problem.

Exactly!!!!  The fact he has to connect his property with an aerial tram should be proof he owns the wrong property.
Third Place

tufsu1

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 11:28:11 AM »

oh he totally doesn't get it

Captain Zissou

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 11:44:34 AM »

How do we educate him?  He clearly has the desire.  We should make sure that the motivated and capitalized people are properly informed of good urban design.

Kerry

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 11:58:07 AM »

How do we educate him?  He clearly has the desire.  We should make sure that the motivated and capitalized people are properly informed of good urban design.

That is the million dollar question.  Crack that nut and then multiply by every developer in Jacksonville then we could get somewhere.

Here is a simple rule for me - if a project is so big it is considered to be a 'game changer' it is too big.  Sucessful cities don't have game changers; they have a continuous string of sucesses like a snowball rolling down hill.
Third Place

MusicMan

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 02:48:23 PM »
Would love to sponsor a 'Round Table'  event with Balanky, Rummel, and Boyer.

They all have contradicted each other so much I cannot imagine the outcome.

Boyer: " Our riverfront is most valuable real estate in Jax."

Balanky: “Jacksonville has got some of the of the most undeveloped riverfront in any city of its size in the nation,” he said.

Balanky : "From a developer’s perspective, time is a commodity. Vision without execution, is hallucination."

Rummell:  has no answer for that one.....

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 04:04:13 PM »
the periphery of downtown

Look, downtown's downtown.  Most people don't and can't distinguish between what is and isn't downtown.  It's all downtown to them. 

For example, my first stop at Earth Fare in Mandarin this weekend at checkout the cashier asked me if I'd like to be a member or something.  I said no thank you, I live downtown.  I wouldn't travel this far for groceries.   

He was excited and said "oh, downtown.  Like you've been to that place... that southern place".  Not only did the guy jump from a grocery store to Southern Roots but to him Riverside was downtown. 

And beside, at least the guy is investing downtown.  That's more than most anyone else can say especially almost everyone on this board.   

Peter Griffin

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 04:41:59 PM »
And beside, at least the guy is investing downtown.  That's more than most anyone else can say especially almost everyone on this board.

GOT 'EM! And a good point, unfortunately. How many of the nay-sayers who bemoan DT's blight ever actually go down there?

minder

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 04:55:26 PM »

Out of interest, where does Downtown start and end and whats its limits? Many people on here seem absolutely fixated on any development Downtown being restricted within spitting distance of the Bank of America Tower. Pigeon holing.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2019, 05:02:30 PM »

Out of interest, where does Downtown start and end and whats its limits? Many people on here seem absolutely fixated on any development Downtown being restricted within spitting distance of the Bank of America Tower. Pigeon holing.

There are several definitions. Here’s an article we did last year: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/the-urban-core-and-downtown-some-definitions/
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 05:03:42 PM »

Legally, downtown is bordered by State Street to the North, I-95 to the West and South, and the River to the East

But this is the problem: it’s too big to expect a project on one end to impact the other end. Downtowns work because of synergy and connectivity.. In my opinion, the City’s effort should be concentrated on something like I-95 to the West, State to the north, Washington to the East, and the river to the south. In other words, a distance most people would walk from Hemming.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2019, 05:05:55 PM »
the periphery of downtown

Look, downtown's downtown.  Most people don't and can't distinguish between what is and isn't downtown.  It's all downtown to them. 

For example, my first stop at Earth Fare in Mandarin this weekend at checkout the cashier asked me if I'd like to be a member or something.  I said no thank you, I live downtown.  I wouldn't travel this far for groceries.   

He was excited and said "oh, downtown.  Like you've been to that place... that southern place".  Not only did the guy jump from a grocery store to Southern Roots but to him Riverside was downtown. 

And this post is basically a microcosm of why we are where we are downtown.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2019, 05:27:12 PM »

In general, people associate vibrant downtowns as those that have a lot of pedestrian friendly activity within a compact walkable area. In general, most will only walk up to a quarter mile. Pick the center point of downtown, draw a quarter mile radius around it and flood it with as much walkable oriented development as possible. That's what will change the general impression of downtown.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali