Author Topic: DOWNTOWN TAMPA ON THE MOVE (C'mon Jax...what are you waiting for?)  (Read 1147 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: DOWNTOWN TAMPA ON THE MOVE (C'mon Jax...what are you waiting for?)
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2019, 05:14:42 PM »
The other project y'll are mentioning has been brewing for a decade.      It looks like it's finally going forward.

So has the Shipyards (brewing for more like 20 years) and the District. Neither just popped on the scene in the last five years.

And despite the religious belief held by many of my beloved urbanistas, the empty lot it's being built on doesn't seem to be blocking it nor causing the rest of downtown to rot.

That isn't surprising for those of us that recognize empty lots are __SYMPTOMS__ of larger currents, not the cause of them.

Tampa has been clustering the hell out of itself since 2000. I grew up not too far away. I have a lot of images of DT Tampa from the late 1990s and early 2000s. One of these days, I'll have to do a before/after comparison. For a while it was no better off than Jax. I think having successful competitors in St Petersburg and Orlando has helped Tampa elevate its game in the 21st century. Hopefully, Jax will follow suit so we can see the potential become reality as opposed to continuing to talk about it.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2019, 11:30:16 AM »
Jax leaders are confused, unmotivated, uncaring, unprofessional, and it seems, though I may be wrong, unknowledgeable (I could be wrong on all these but I'll bet I'm right on most). All of the problems and ills that plague downtown Jax, and the City as a whole, don't just happen; it's up to our leaders in government to "make things happen," and if they don't happen, then THEY are to blame. No, the citizens are not to blame, and, empty parking lots, failed developments, and poor leadership are certainly not to blame. WAKE UP CURRY AND COMPANY AND ALL LEADERS IN THE CITY OF JAX GOVERMENT! Other major Florida cities are blasting us out of the water and are on the move. We claim to be the #1 city in Florida (because of population only); and...as I've said, if you make that claim, you'd better live up to it; or else, just shrink back to previous city limit borders before consolidation and then all that you now are will fit in with that population.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2019, 11:32:15 AM »
And oh; it appears Curry and Company, and the majority of Jax city government leaders are just drawing paychecks. That is all they are doing. No action or results commensurate with those hefty salaries at all.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2019, 04:24:21 PM »

Note that Arris Tampa, 34 stories of million dollar condos, is being proposed on a prime spot downtown Tampa.  Why is it prime, because the city's CBD is connected with the river and the waterfront.  It's going to be next to some lovely riverfront parks.   

Maybe.... just maybe it's much more important for the long term health of Jacksonville and it's downtown to this same sort of riverfront park in it's CBD?

Have you been to Tampa? If you added up the acreage of the public spaces between it and DT Jax, I'd be surprised if Tampa has more. We even had our riverwalks a good 20 years before Tampa. Now, when we talk about activating existing public spaces, Tampa has been a pretty good job at that since 2000. Us, not so much.

In order to activate public spaces, a city needs to have a vision for a healthy built environment.   In Tampa, a key part of this has been a focus on connecting their CBD with the River and the Waterfront.   

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2019, 04:47:30 PM »
DT Jax has been connected to the riverfront for decades. Like Tampa, it needs to activate those connections.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali