Author Topic: Florida Times-Union: Don’t demolish the Landing before examining adaptive reuse  (Read 14535 times)

Ken_FSU

And, just like that, the letters are gone.

https://www.jacksonville.com/photogallery/LK/20191030/PHOTOGALLERY/103009981/PH/1

Who would have thought even a couple of years ago that the Jacksonville Landing, long considered key to downtown Jacksonville's turnaround, would simply be erased, rather than redeveloped.

Captain Zissou

So many FL/GA fans are going to be so confused this weekend.  Sad part is they probably think it's getting redeveloped into something awesome.  NOPE. Enjoy your weed/trash covered lot for the next decade.

sandyshoes

…(ulp)  seeing the sign come down just got me.  I'm missing drinking a B-52 at Fat Tuesday and taking home my purple beads...waaahhh
(a B-52 was a big ol' purple slurpee-type drink containing 151-Rum, grain alcohol and jusss a lill bit o' grape joooooooos to make it prrppllll)
Ah, youth. 

Bativac

And, just like that, the letters are gone.

https://www.jacksonville.com/photogallery/LK/20191030/PHOTOGALLERY/103009981/PH/1

Who would have thought even a couple of years ago that the Jacksonville Landing, long considered key to downtown Jacksonville's turnaround, would simply be erased, rather than redeveloped.

It is still crazy to me that they're going ahead with the demolition... and crazier still that most of Jacksonville doesn't care.

avonjax

It doesn't matter anymore. Curry is destroying downtown and god help us if the economy takes a downturn. Everyone will cancel any plans they have and we will be the podunk city we aim to be. As Curry said we won't recognize the skyline when he leaves office. Boy howdy was he right. There may be nothing left. I used to have great enthusiasm for the future of DT. Now I have great concern. I'm not confident Lot J will happen and there goes that plan to shift all entertainment to the Sports Complex. I get kinda sick when the news shows pictures of DT as a backdrop. Soon at night there will be a black hole where the Landing used to stand and based on the crap drawings of what Curry thinks is wonderful is a couple of pads that won't draw a single person DT. Yeah sure fireworks will fill the hole but that's it. Maybe the next mayor will have a real vision for DT but more than likely it will be a candidate that the bright people of Jax won't vote for.

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
Whats real troubling is how the residents if Jax just quietly dont care and this is why downtown continues to suffer. Jax residents " its not my problem I dont live there" The city in general has no sense of pride.

Papa33

Whats real troubling is how the residents if Jax just quietly dont care and this is why downtown continues to suffer. Jax residents " its not my problem I dont live there" The city in general has no sense of pride.
I blame the numbnuts on the City Council who sign off on it.

Adam White

• Facebook

I agree. I think Jax has turned into a collection of villages, more or less. People kind of stick to their "side" of town. I think this is even reflected in the fact that so many now refer to "Duval" rather than Jacksonville.

“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

MusicMan

I was 100% opposed to demolishing The Landing, still am!  BUT, now that it's mostly gone, I have to admit the view driving from the TU where I work over to Main Street to take Main Street Bridge home is pretty spectacular. That's not a substitute for the building but if, as many have speculated , this is going to be a land swap for Met Park so Khan can build there, it might work out. The location for a killer park at The Landing location could work, as long as it does not become another homeless camp. I believe that's possible, and hope that is works out.  Surely COJ can pass an ordinance prohibiting overnight sleeping at that location.?!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
It's not a land swap. Metropolitan Park is significantly larger. Also, Lot J seems to be the priority that will consume the rrst of Curry's term. I'd be surprised if we see anything on that side of Gator Bowl Boulevard materialize before the current administration's time is up.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 05:39:42 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Ken_FSU

I was 100% opposed to demolishing The Landing, still am!  BUT, now that it's mostly gone, I have to admit the view driving from the TU where I work over to Main Street to take Main Street Bridge home is pretty spectacular. That's not a substitute for the building but if, as many have speculated , this is going to be a land swap for Met Park so Khan can build there, it might work out. The location for a killer park at The Landing location could work, as long as it does not become another homeless camp. I believe that's possible, and hope that is works out.  Surely COJ can pass an ordinance prohibiting overnight sleeping at that location.?!

That’s funny, my reaction has been almost completely opposite. Hard to describe, but from a pedestrian point of view, Laura Street just feels so much emptier and less important without that anchor/destination at the end of it. Even the river view that everyone pined for is just kind of there. Obviously the site can only improve in the future, but it’s gonna be hard (and expensive, and slow) to come close to recreating what was already there to begin with.

bl8jaxnative

I disagree.  We've already recreated what we there.  The lack of a structure -  an architectural abomination - just makes it easier to see how empty the space really was.

Bativac

I disagree.  We've already recreated what we there.  The lack of a structure -  an architectural abomination - just makes it easier to see how empty the space really was.

When I was a kid, my dad was in a couple local rock bands. Several times, those bands played events at a packed Jacksonville Landing. Yeah, it was kind of a beer-swilling redneck crowd, but it was a crowd.

It was always crowded during the tree lighting and the fireworks shows, and boat parades. There were ways to activate that space. It might have taken some time to get it to where it was a popular place to go, but it could have been done for the cost of little more than putting on regular events, and some extra police presence, and maybe a parking garage. The building could have been refurbished. The city could have fulfilled their obligations to Sleiman and built their own thing elsewhere (Like the Lot J, which I'm still convinced is the sole reason they tore down the Landing: eliminate the competition).

Now that land will sit as YET ANOTHER empty parcel of land on the river. Someone on these forums mentioned how Jacksonville seems to have more unrealized potential than any other city, and that's what this is. More unrealized potential that will sit empty for the next decade or more. It's sad and embarrassing. Much moreso than the Landing ever was.