Author Topic: Hyatt Place Tower Preparing to Break Ground in Downtown  (Read 3817 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Hyatt Place Tower Preparing to Break Ground in Downtown
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2019, 09:37:29 AM »

Since there's no Landing, you could stick it in Independent Drive. There's also space between the proposed building site and VyStar Tower.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

acme54321

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2019, 10:28:10 AM »
My guess is that it ends up right at the front of the building where the pool deck is along Independent drive.  They may also be able to work a deal to put it behind the building between Hogan St and the Garage.  Can't be close to other structures (Suntrust) because of the counterweight overhang. 

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2019, 11:13:16 AM »
I feel like there's plenty of room. I'm not sure of the exact measurements and it might be larger than 4'x4' but to Kerry's point (not sure the last time I said that) it isn't very big. A quick Google search said 10'x10'. I'm 6' tall so that's basically me and a midget laying end to end - not that much in the scheme of things.

There's a reason they're the crane of choice for high-rise construction in urban areas.

KenFSU

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2019, 01:05:44 PM »
A quick Google search said 10'x10'. I'm 6' tall so that's basically me and a midget laying end to end.

MAKE IT HAPPEN, STEVE.

Kerry

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2019, 01:32:28 PM »
Thanks, In the picture it's bigger than 16 sq feet.

So the base of the crane sits close to, but not on top of the buildings foundation?  The point I'm making is that in a .27 acre parcel, it does not leave much room for the base of the crane.  I guess within a few months we will see exactly where the base of the crane is to be placed.

Some cranes can be on the building itself and rise with it.
Third Place

Pastor Eric Wester

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2019, 10:01:36 PM »
"Can you feel the excitement of open space along the river?"

Lake I don't think you got Lori Boyer's memo:

"Ultimately, the goal is to give you some breathing room and not have a solid wall of something tall along the river that blocks off the public's view and access to the waterfront, recognizing that the riverfront is probably the greatest asset of all in Downtown and making sure it is a publicly available asset and helps lift values of everything adjacent to it,” Boyer said.

I read this and wonder when was the last time LB and her colleagues at City Council left their offices and actually walked along the Northbank riverfront.

MusicMan and Lake - I am a newbie. Between the photo and the quote from and comment about LB, I am trying to figure out whether she has a vision for development in the Urban Core or not. In recent weeks I read some of the brief summaries of the three finalists for the position she landed as she rotates off City Council. The other final candidates would have brought a fresh perspective, as I believe they were both from other cities. When I read about the deciding factors in her selection accounts mentioned how she knows the players and understands the "unique" narrative and background with Jacksonville. I worried we might get stuck with development in spite of those charged to lead it. Is LB someone who will advance efforts to develop downtown or is she dedicated to more of the same over the last many years?  Thanks for any insights giver LB's upcoming role.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2019, 10:39:15 PM »
I like LB. I have high hopes for her. At the end of the day, her success will boil down to being able to get the little things right. Right now, there are some private sector projects already in the works that some decent momentum can be built if the right moves are made.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Pastor Eric Wester

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2019, 08:46:19 PM »
Thank you for your perspective. Also, after my post, I noticed the separate thread which provides additional comments about the selection of LB. Again, thanks.

Eric

MusicMan

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2019, 09:00:13 PM »
As part of the Old Guard, LB has as good a reputation as possible. I personally do not know her. However I found her statement regarding downtown riverfront naive, and pretty baseless. I have lived all over Florida, from Tallahassee to Boca Raton, South Beach, Coral Gables, and spent a great deal of time in Naples, Ft Lauderdale and WPB.  Downtown Waterfront property pretty much everywhere else but Jacksonville brings a premium.  Our riverfront is like mud compared to those other cities.   And I'm not sure why. BUT if you walk from the WJCT studios to CSX, tell me what YOU see.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2019, 11:08:11 PM »
I see COJ owned property. COJ has a historically bad track record in this department. It doesn't have to stomach to program public spaces consistently, avoids activating spaces due to fear of taking on liability and is horrible in maintaining public spaces. The riverfront would have already been developed if it were in private hands. However, you probably would have a wall of development then, including warehouses (I'd actually be fine with maritime related industry there) at the shipyards.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 11:11:00 PM by thelakelander »

MusicMan

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2019, 04:20:22 PM »
YUP.

I went over to the new build in Brooklyn, VISTA. They are using a crane. I spoke to the worker about it. It is about 12-15 feet square at the base, so at least 144 sq ft. It is attached to a large concrete base, 25 feet by 25 feet and 25 feet deep. Then more concrete poured over that to get to the 400,000 pound number. It is positioned in the courtyard of the building, so the building will rise around it. That won't work at Hyatt Place but you get the picture. It will be disassembled after completion of the building.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2019, 04:30:09 PM »
Looking at the Hyatt Place site plan, it appears there should be enough space for a crane right in front of the lobby area off Independent Drive. However, the parallel parking and maybe a lane would need to closed during the construction process.

howfam

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2019, 09:22:15 AM »
This Hyatt Place hotel is a much welcomed project for downtown and will hopefully lead to similar developments in downtown. But wouldn't it be nice (seems like a no brainer)to have a vibrant Jacksonville Landing, bustling with activity (restaurants, entertainment etc.) right across the street from a new hotel full of visitors looking for something to do, somewhere to go? MY GOD, WAKE UP SLEEPY SOUTHERN TOWN!!!!!!

MusicMan

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2019, 11:11:26 AM »
The skeletal remains of Berkman II have cast a desolate  shadow over downtown for the past 12 years. Three Mayors?  You are expecting something to change?

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2019, 12:15:23 PM »

Since there's no Landing, you could stick it in Independent Drive. There's also space between the proposed building site and VyStar Tower.

Independent Dr. would make the most sense.  Even if the landing is open closing that short stretch of Independent wouldn't be an issue.

Anyone know if the food trucks will be moving?  The south end of those seem awfully close to the construction.