Author Topic: Lessons Learned As Berkman 2 Dream Goes Up In Smoke  (Read 802 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Lessons Learned As Berkman 2 Dream Goes Up In Smoke
« on: April 18, 2019, 08:26:04 AM »

If you don't know your urban redevelopment past you are doomed to repeat it. Here are five quick revitalization observations regarding the premature demise of a heavily incentivized proposal to convert the skeleton of Berkman 2 into a hotel and nearby contaminated property into an amusement park and parking garage.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/lessons-learned-as-berkman-2-dream-goes-up-in-smoke/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

Re: Lessons Learned As Berkman 2 Dream Goes Up In Smoke
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 08:35:18 AM »
Excellent article.  Hope someone in the administration listens.

RiversideRambler

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 09:40:42 AM »
So a $100+ million project was largely dependent on an old warship being docked next to it? GAME CHANGER!  ;D ;D ;D

Ken_FSU

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 12:24:40 PM »
So a $100+ million project was largely dependent on an old warship being docked next to it? GAME CHANGER!  ;D ;D ;D

Even if the buyer had no business whatsoever developing the property, I still think the city deserves its share of the blame for this thing blowing up.

It's on the buyer to perform due diligence, but I have zero doubt that the city was trying to unload Berkman II under the auspices of a grand new convention center and naval museum being located next door.

Things like this, and the botched Convention Center RFP, and forcibly removing Sleiman from the Landing can't be creating a lot of goodwill and faith in Jacksonville within the development community.

vicupstate

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 12:41:38 PM »
It's on the buyer to perform due diligence, but I have zero doubt that the city was trying to unload Berkman II under the auspices of a grand new convention center and naval museum being located next door.

If they had done due diligence they would have known how utterly ridiculous it was to expect COJ to build a CC that fit the RPF specifications.

Things like this, and the botched Convention Center RFP, and forcibly removing Sleiman from the Landing can't be creating a lot of goodwill and faith in Jacksonville within the development community.

That the city has any credibility at all on anything having to do with DT is a surprise to me. That was true before the things you listed but especially true now.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

MusicMan

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 02:26:52 PM »
"Hope someone in the administration listens."

Who in the current administration is considered an expert in urban planning and design?

Ennis knows more than all the COJ staff and administration combined.  I wish he had some input into moving things forward in DT.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 09:20:25 PM »
"Hope someone in the administration listens."

Who in the current administration is considered an expert in urban planning and design?

Ennis knows more than all the COJ staff and administration combined.  I wish he had some input into moving things forward in DT.
Ennis for Mayor...or...head of the Downtown development Authority.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

pierre

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 08:49:39 AM »
Lessons Learned As (insert failed urban core project) Dream Goes Up In Smoke