Author Topic: Five Ways To Activate The Northbank's Laura Street  (Read 1749 times)

Kerry

Re: Five Ways To Activate The Northbank's Laura Street
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2019, 12:47:44 PM »
Kerry - Did you put out an invitation a few weeks ago for an informal meet up for JAX Rising (or something like that) as an exploratory move toward a PAC?  I could not make it but, if it was you who issued the invitation, did anything emerge?  I bring that into this thread in that the creative and, from my view, achievable possibilities brainstormed in this forum made me wonder - are there enough political allies to advance alternatives to elected leaders and municipal officials?  The few public statements I have picked up about the Landing seem very short on envisioning what follows the plan to raze what stands now. The possibilities surfaced here seem worth serious consideration. Thanks to all the contributors.

Hi Eric, I was at that meeting as well. We discussed mostly the concerns of being able to get people informed about and caring about the issues we'd be focusing on. Some of the big questions that came up were of spreading awareness and recruitment. We're still working more on the concept and principles of what we would want to do with this idea.

Just to follow up on what Marcus said, yes we met and there were several good ideas that we discussed.  It really came down to two primary areas: Public Awareness and Politics.  Most people in Jax don't even know what walkable urbanism is so they have to be educated on the subject.  We discussed some ways to accomplish that but we could really use a brainstorming session to flush out those ideas.  On the politics side there are several options.  We could endorse candidates, donate time/money, run for office ourselves, speak at DDRB and Council meetings, review projects and give them an Urbanization score, etc...

I'm open for another meetup if anyone is interested and I'm thinking of doing some things unilaterally just so I can feel better about Jax :) but would welcome anyone who wants to join in.
Third Place

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 08:49:57 PM »
Councilman-elect calls for community brain-storming on Landing’s future

City Council member-elect Matt Carlucci made a pitch Wednesday for the city to use a charrette-style workshop for residents to brainstorm ideas about the future use of the Jacksonville Landing, saying interest is high in what comes next and there should be upfront buy-in from the public.

Carlucci even found a new way to describe the importance of the Landing’s location on the downtown riverfront.

“It’s a beloved piece of property,” Carlucci told the Downtown Investment Authority board at its monthly meeting. “Even if it’s not a currently viable piece of property, so many people want to have a say in its future. The Landing, to so many people, is like the centerpiece at the Thanksgiving table.”

Carlucci won’t take office until July 1, but the future of the land occupied by the Landing is likely to be one of the biggest decisions for the next City Council.

Others have called the location on the downtown riverfront the home plate, front porch and front lawn of the city.

Full article: https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20190417/councilman-elect-calls-for-community-brain-storming-on-landings-future
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2019, 09:08:07 PM »
Regarding a charrette, I've done enough of these in the past to know that it should be set up to be realistic. Far too many I've seen where the facilitator directs things in a manner where various forms of adaptive reuse are literally an afterthought and budget and implementation timelines aren't a part of the process. Visioning in this sort of manner is great but I'm not sure the community needs to come up with a specific design. Better yet, the community should be allowed to openly express what the type of uses it would like to see happen with the site. That information should then be included in a RFP for redevelopment. Doing such will likely result in several qualified responses coming in that address the issues in various forms.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

itsfantastic1

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2019, 12:06:15 AM »
While public input is great, I often think of this when elected officials try and outsource responsibilities to the public instead of professionals. https://youtu.be/q_zknCszY58

Bill Hoff

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2019, 07:24:32 AM »
Councilman-elect calls for community brain-storming on Landing’s future

City Council member-elect Matt Carlucci made a pitch Wednesday for the city to use a charrette-style workshop for residents to brainstorm ideas about the future use of the Jacksonville Landing, saying interest is high in what comes next and there should be upfront buy-in from the public.

Carlucci even found a new way to describe the importance of the Landing’s location on the downtown riverfront.

“It’s a beloved piece of property,” Carlucci told the Downtown Investment Authority board at its monthly meeting. “Even if it’s not a currently viable piece of property, so many people want to have a say in its future. The Landing, to so many people, is like the centerpiece at the Thanksgiving table.”

Carlucci won’t take office until July 1, but the future of the land occupied by the Landing is likely to be one of the biggest decisions for the next City Council.

Others have called the location on the downtown riverfront the home plate, front porch and front lawn of the city.

Full article: https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20190417/councilman-elect-calls-for-community-brain-storming-on-landings-future

Also from the article:

"The city used charrette workshops four years ago when Alvin Brown was mayor and he supported demolishing the Landing. Those workshops resulted in a concept for an apartment building on half of the property and park space on the other side, with the potential for a museum or hotel as a second building."

Don't think we need to do that again. There aren't new ideas to be discovered by a charette. Just need to follow the known best practices.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2019, 08:17:12 AM »
^Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen a Landing charrette that hasn't ended up with complete demo and rebuild. They're typically facilitated that way because people are directed to not be held by any limits or constraints. However, that's not the world we live in, so you end up with something that will never be built. There should have been a master plan for downtown already developed to address sites like this. Since there's not one, they basically needed to toss their plan out there for public criticism and feedback, get a feel for what the majority of community really wants to see with the site, and then craft a RFP for redevelopment based off the process. The private sector can deal with the details of coming up with concepts that work and that its willing to pay for.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2019, 10:35:01 AM »
Regarding a charrette, I've done enough of these in the past to know that it should be set up to be realistic. Far too many I've seen where the facilitator directs things in a manner where various forms of adaptive reuse are literally an afterthought and budget and implementation timelines aren't a part of the process. Visioning in this sort of manner is great but I'm not sure the community needs to come up with a specific design. Better yet, the community should be allowed to openly express what the type of uses it would like to see happen with the site. That information should then be included in a RFP for redevelopment. Doing such will likely result in several qualified responses coming in that address the issues in various forms.

Not being in urban planning as a career, I feel like the best way to do this is RFP the thing to the private sector (knowing that after the RFP process they'll be public input), select the best party's conceptual plans (basically the company that best shows a vision for the site), then do the public meetings with some specific guidelines based around the expert's proposals.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2019, 10:35:49 AM »
It's better than the current idea of blowing up the Landing with no plan or public input.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Charles Hunter

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2019, 03:15:46 PM »

Not being in urban planning as a career, I feel like the best way to do this is RFP the thing to the private sector (knowing that after the RFP process they'll be public input), select the best party's conceptual plans (basically the company that best shows a vision for the site), then do the public meetings with some specific guidelines based around the expert's proposals.

And it would need to be a realistic RFP; not the pie-in-the-sky over-reach they put out for the Convention Center at the Court House site.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2019, 03:20:29 PM »
Most definitely!