Author Topic: Exciting South Bank Signage  (Read 1144 times)

jaxjags

Re: Exciting South Bank Signage
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2019, 01:01:03 PM »
As DT exits can be confusing with all of our bridges and the I10/I95 interchange, I want FDOT to add wayfarer signs similar to those in Charlotte. These define an area of town and POI's and Exit No. They are color coded for the different parts of town. Ours could be Northbank/DT, Southbank, Sports District. To those who live here that may sound simple but if you are driving through town or visiting it would be very helpful.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 01:02:14 PM »

The thing that popped out to me is that they only focus on the riverwalks for the most part. The map showing the Northbank cuts off around Hemming Park or a block north of it.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 01:05:50 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 01:16:03 PM »
I had just arrived back from Houston when I took that photo, so these were also in my mind...

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

acme54321

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2019, 02:22:50 PM »
Anyone have pictures of the signs?

There is one on the action news link.  Shows a sign at the peninsula, with dining as one of the arrows, but it's pointing toward the Charthouse so that's ok.

Looks like there's also been a nice mural painted on that disgusting bathroom.  If that thing is going to stay it needs a major rehab and regular cleaning.  It's usually filthy.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 02:24:42 PM by acme54321 »

Bill Hoff

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2019, 02:33:50 PM »
These are on the Northbank as well, not just South.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2019, 02:37:15 PM »
^

This was on the Northbank at the foot of Hogan Street. I knew what it meant by shops and dining, pointing in the direction of Hemming Park, but a Sunday visitor (the day I took the pic) would have been disappointed because I don't recall anything being open between the river and Sweet Pete's.

Kerry

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2019, 02:57:52 PM »
If I remember correctly from discussions on the topic many years ago - the intent is to have different colors represent different areas. For example (examples only, I don't know the actual color scheme) Sports Complex = Teal; Southbank = Green; Elbow = Blue; and so on.

Yikes. Yeah, no, if you're going to build that kind of thing for tourists you definitely need a consistent color scheme. Pick teal for everything or pick green or everything, just pick something.

Yeah, how is someone from outside of Jax supposed to know what the colors represents?  It makes me wonder if anyone in charge has ever been a tourist in another city - or the ultimate test - visited another country (chauffeured Jags trips in London doesn't count).  If they want to brand downtown neighborhoods you do that with light poles, banners, street furniture, brick streets/crosswalks, and placemaking placards.
Third Place

Kerry

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2019, 03:03:47 PM »
This:

http://www.corbindesign.com/our-work/civic/downtown-oklahoma-city/

Corbin Design contributed to a more attractive Oklahoma City by developing an elegant wayfinding system for a two-square-mile section of the city’s downtown. The new unified sign system is designed to be functional and attractive, and replaces a “hodgepodge” of dissimilar signs, said City Manager Jim Couch.

The system includes 45 vehicular signs and 22 pedestrian signs along with 27 kiosks for more detailed visitor information. The new signs point visitors to key downtown destinations, including the site of the 1995 Alfred P. Murrah Building bombing, now the Oklahoma City National Memorial. Also included are destinations in Bricktown, a converted warehouse district that is home to the city’s ballpark and many restaurants, as well as a growing arts district and other entertainment venues.

The look of the signage is based on an art deco motif to reflect downtown architecture. City officials hope to increase pedestrian traffic through the use of trailblazer signage, to areas including the memorial, Bricktown and the arts district.

Third Place

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2019, 10:58:51 AM »

If I remember correctly from discussions on the topic many years ago - the intent is to have different colors represent different areas. For example (examples only, I don't know the actual color scheme) Sports Complex = Teal; Southbank = Green; Elbow = Blue; and so on.

IIRC that was the idea.  It's a bad idea.  Someone at a level of using a sign doesn't care which neighborhood they're in, they just want to be able to spot the sign.

KenFSU

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2019, 11:19:53 AM »

The thing that popped out to me is that they only focus on the riverwalks for the most part. The map showing the Northbank cuts off around Hemming Park or a block north of it.

The new signange is part of Lori Boyer's/the city's larger riverwalk activation/nodes project.

Funding comes from the same bucket as the upcoming restoration/repairs to Friendship Fountain and the bulkhead repairs in front of the Times-Union Center.