Author Topic: Mandarin's I-295 Express Lane Project Nears Completion  (Read 2549 times)

Kerry

Re: Mandarin's I-295 Express Lane Project Nears Completion
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2019, 03:55:08 PM »
By the way, I find Mandarin to be a disaster.  San Jose Blvd south of Baymeadows is a squandered opportunity and the poster-child of cheap neon.  No one ever thought to give Mandarin a true Main Street...a gathering place...a walkable cluster or core?

I just moved to Mandarin - it sucks.  There are so few roads that connect the area it is no wonder traffic sucks.  Know how many roads connect between Southside Blvd and San Jose?  Answer: 1.

Losco should have been extended to connect to the southern end of Southside Blvd., Shad connect to the Southside Connector and Sunbeam to Western Lake Dr.

Why the hell did you move there then?

Because it is the least crappy suburban part of Jax.
Third Place

Kerry

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2019, 03:58:10 PM »
Mandarin Express Toll Lanes open Saturday, May 18, tolling starts Monday, May 20
FDOT NE Florida tweet
FDOT is happy to announce the I-295 Express Lanes from I-95 to the Buckman Bridge are opening May 18th. Tolls will be charged only during peak travel times (6A-10A and 3P-7P.)  Non-peak will be free!
From FDOT's Facebook page
FDOT has announced that the Interstate 295 Express Lanes from Interstate 95 to the Buckman Bridge in Jacksonville are scheduled to open this Saturday, May 18. The Express Lanes will use "time of day" tolling that will be implemented during peak travel times Monday through Friday.

Get to Publix or Walgreens or one of the other SunPass retailers to get a transponder.  Go to SunPass.com for info on where to buy, and how to activate, the transponder.  If you don't have a transponder, you will get an invoice for the toll, a $2.50 administrative fee, and $25 violation fee.
Tolls on express lanes are collected electronically. Customers must have an active, properly mounted SunPass or other interoperable transponder (listed online at SunPass.com). Special cameras are placed at each tolling point to capture an image of a vehicle’s license plate if an active transponder is not detected. A violation notice is then mailed to the registered owner of the vehicle that includes all toll charges in the express lanes, plus a $2.50 administrative fee and an additional $25 for each day the vehicle incurs a violation. If the owner does not pay all charges after the second notice, a vehicle license plate registration hold will be established.

But for some reason they can't do toll by plate.  I give them about 2 months before being sued.
Third Place

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2019, 04:35:33 PM »
Mandarin Express Toll Lanes open Saturday, May 18, tolling starts Monday, May 20
FDOT NE Florida tweet
FDOT is happy to announce the I-295 Express Lanes from I-95 to the Buckman Bridge are opening May 18th. Tolls will be charged only during peak travel times (6A-10A and 3P-7P.)  Non-peak will be free!
From FDOT's Facebook page
FDOT has announced that the Interstate 295 Express Lanes from Interstate 95 to the Buckman Bridge in Jacksonville are scheduled to open this Saturday, May 18. The Express Lanes will use "time of day" tolling that will be implemented during peak travel times Monday through Friday.

Get to Publix or Walgreens or one of the other SunPass retailers to get a transponder.  Go to SunPass.com for info on where to buy, and how to activate, the transponder.  If you don't have a transponder, you will get an invoice for the toll, a $2.50 administrative fee, and $25 violation fee.
Tolls on express lanes are collected electronically. Customers must have an active, properly mounted SunPass or other interoperable transponder (listed online at SunPass.com). Special cameras are placed at each tolling point to capture an image of a vehicle’s license plate if an active transponder is not detected. A violation notice is then mailed to the registered owner of the vehicle that includes all toll charges in the express lanes, plus a $2.50 administrative fee and an additional $25 for each day the vehicle incurs a violation. If the owner does not pay all charges after the second notice, a vehicle license plate registration hold will be established.

But for some reason they can't do toll by plate.  I give them about 2 months before being sued.

Clearly they can as they are billing people who use the lane. I'm sure the issue is that with SunPass you load an account so they have the money. In essence, you've prepaid.

In terms of being sued, I'll let you run down that path. Not sure what law they're breaking.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2019, 04:52:20 PM »
^LOL as proven by MJ's past experiences any fool can file a suit. However, it doesn't mean it won't be laughed out of court if it makes it that far. What they've installed on I-295 is the same thing that's been in operation for years in Miami, Orlando and Tampa. People will get a SunPass (or get repeatedly fined) or ride in the free lanes. No laws are being broken by not doing toll by plate.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Lostwave

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2019, 09:46:28 AM »
^LOL as proven by MJ's past experiences any fool can file a suit. However, it doesn't mean it won't be laughed out of court if it makes it that far. What they've installed on I-295 is the same thing that's been in operation for years in Miami, Orlando and Tampa. People will get a SunPass (or get repeatedly fined) or ride in the free lanes. No laws are being broken by not doing toll by plate.

And you don't need sun pass, just don't use the express lanes.  They do this all over the country and its not a problem elsewhere.  Its assumed that the people who use the lanes will be daily commuters, not out of towners or people passing through.

Kerry

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2019, 04:23:32 AM »

And you don't need sun pass, just don't use the express lanes.  They do this all over the country and its not a problem elsewhere.  Its assumed that the people who use the lanes will be daily commuters, not out of towners or people passing through.

Actually what is done all over the country is toll by plate - including Miami and Orlando.  The pre-paid passes only offer a discounted rate.  In some states the registered owner is sent a bill for the toll and in others you go on-line and pay after the fact.  In Jax, and only Jax, you incur the fine immediately.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 04:26:31 AM by Kerry »
Third Place

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2019, 07:20:13 AM »
This is a part of my day job. You'll be amazed what's actually done and where.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2019, 10:28:11 AM »
According to the FDOT's Express Lanes page,
Tolls in the express lanes will be collected electronically with an active, properly mounted SunPass or other interoperable transponder (listed on SunPass.com). You cannot pay for tolls in the express lanes using cash or TOLL-BY-PLATE, as you will be considered a violator and subject to additional fees. SunPass customers pay the lowest toll rates available, so purchase one TODAY!

From the Turnpike website, Toll By Plate has limited availability on mainline facilities. When it opens, the First Coast Expressway (State Road 23) from I-10 to (eventually) I-95 near World Golf Village, will also be Toll By Plate.  You are right that the SunPass transponder gives a lower rate.
TOLL-BY-PLATE is a new electronic toll payment option on all-electronic toll roads for customers who do not have SunPass transponders. Currently, TOLL-BY-PLATE is only available on the southern 47 miles of the Turnpike in Miami-Dade, on the Sawgrass Expressway in Broward County, on the I-4 Connector in Tampa, and on the Veterans Expressway in the Tampa Bay area.

SunPass is the State’s prepaid electronic toll program.  SunPass customers have transponders which can be used on all toll roads and most toll bridges in the state.  SunPass is the preferred method to pay tolls and has the lowest toll rate.  Please refer to the “SunPass” toll rate.

The big question, that I have not been able to get answered by FDOT, is why isn't Toll By Plate available for Express Lane users?  Same tech is used to send "violation" notices as "toll invoices."
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 10:29:59 AM by Charles Hunter »

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2019, 02:04:44 PM »
Regardless of how they collect. I took 295 to work yesterday and today (southbound from San Jose to I-95), and 295 home yesterday (northbound). I counted MAYBE 5 cars total in my commute in the lanes on the three trips combined.

Kerry

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2019, 02:14:19 PM »
According to the FDOT's Express Lanes page,
Tolls in the express lanes will be collected electronically with an active, properly mounted SunPass or other interoperable transponder (listed on SunPass.com). You cannot pay for tolls in the express lanes using cash or TOLL-BY-PLATE, as you will be considered a violator and subject to additional fees. SunPass customers pay the lowest toll rates available, so purchase one TODAY!

From the Turnpike website, Toll By Plate has limited availability on mainline facilities. When it opens, the First Coast Expressway (State Road 23) from I-10 to (eventually) I-95 near World Golf Village, will also be Toll By Plate.  You are right that the SunPass transponder gives a lower rate.
TOLL-BY-PLATE is a new electronic toll payment option on all-electronic toll roads for customers who do not have SunPass transponders. Currently, TOLL-BY-PLATE is only available on the southern 47 miles of the Turnpike in Miami-Dade, on the Sawgrass Expressway in Broward County, on the I-4 Connector in Tampa, and on the Veterans Expressway in the Tampa Bay area.

SunPass is the State’s prepaid electronic toll program.  SunPass customers have transponders which can be used on all toll roads and most toll bridges in the state.  SunPass is the preferred method to pay tolls and has the lowest toll rate.  Please refer to the “SunPass” toll rate.

The big question, that I have not been able to get answered by FDOT, is why isn't Toll By Plate available for Express Lane users?  Same tech is used to send "violation" notices as "toll invoices."

...and I think that is where they are going to get in trouble.  The fine is automatic and due immediately.  Judge, jury, and executioner all in one.  Hell, even Illinois gives you 7 days to pay on-line for running a toll both, and you only have to pay the toll amount.
Third Place