Author Topic: Mandarin's I-295 Express Lane Project Nears Completion  (Read 2360 times)

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
Re: Mandarin's I-295 Express Lane Project Nears Completion
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2019, 08:27:55 PM »
Ha ha ^^ give Houston some credit, at least they have all those things already.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2019, 09:31:50 PM »
Lol I will. I actually like Houston. It's come a long way over the last 20 years. Definitely the second most cosmopolitan city in the south behind Miami.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Kerry

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 10:35:22 AM »
By the way, I find Mandarin to be a disaster.  San Jose Blvd south of Baymeadows is a squandered opportunity and the poster-child of cheap neon.  No one ever thought to give Mandarin a true Main Street...a gathering place...a walkable cluster or core?

I just moved to Mandarin - it sucks.  There are so few roads that connect the area it is no wonder traffic sucks.  Know how many roads connect between Southside Blvd and San Jose?  Answer: 1.

Losco should have been extended to connect to the southern end of Southside Blvd., Shad connect to the Southside Connector and Sunbeam to Western Lake Dr.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 10:46:20 AM by Kerry »
Third Place

Charles Hunter

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2019, 11:01:03 AM »
Those would be some expensive overpasses to get across I-95.  Also, the Shad and Sunbeam extensions would go through what I believe is a conservation area.  But, your point is good, there are too few east-west connections.

Kerry

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2019, 01:56:27 PM »
Look - I don't expect Jax to do anything to improve the situation even as they approve more housing so I know none of this will ever get done.  Having said that, it isn't just East-West that doesn't connect well because North-South is even worse.

From I-95 to the river only 3 roads cross I-295 and only 1 of those connects from Baymeadows to Julington Creek.  Hood Road South should cross 295 and connect to Greenland and an overpass added on Pine Acres Road which would connect Hartley and Greenland.

Alas, as screwed up as Mandarin is, at least it isn't Oak Leaf.  I don't care how inexpensive homes are out there I can't imagine anyone signing up for that nightmare voluntarily.

It is almost like FDOT and JTA aren't even trying.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 01:59:13 PM by Kerry »
Third Place

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2019, 02:33:08 PM »
What should FDOT be doing? It's not the state's responsibility to provide an efficient local roadway network. If the local land use policies were different, the roadway network wouldn't be as bad. Hell, where Kerry just moved to in Mandarin probably never should have been allowed to be developed if proper planning were done decades ago.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 02:34:41 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Kerry

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2019, 04:59:09 PM »
What should FDOT be doing? It's not the state's responsibility to provide an efficient local roadway network. If the local land use policies were different, the roadway network wouldn't be as bad. Hell, where Kerry just moved to in Mandarin probably never should have been allowed to be developed if proper planning were done decades ago.

FDOT could have built overpasses for streets they cut off and they would certainly be involved in any proposed overpasses.  What would be a fun exercise is laying a 1 mile street grid network over Jax and see how much easier getting around would be.
Third Place

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2019, 06:11:08 PM »
Did they cut the streets off or were the streets built after I-295 was constructed?

Kerry

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2019, 06:38:53 PM »
Along this section of I-295 only one road was cut off, but there are several more around the loop.  Between the river, I-95, FEC railroad, and I-295 there are lots of choke points.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 06:41:26 PM by Kerry »
Third Place

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2019, 09:18:45 PM »
The railroad has been around since the 1880s. It definitely predates probably 95% of the Southside's roads.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2019, 08:08:57 AM »

I just moved to Mandarin - it sucks. 

Wait. Mandarin?!? After all of your posts over the years(I think or maybe it just seems like years since you are not exactly Mary Sunshine)....you move to Mandarin?!?! If that is not the biggest WTF, I do not know what is.
Are you a click bot that is designed to make everyone else feel better about our lives?

You cannot be real.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2019, 08:27:29 AM »

Wait. Mandarin?!? After all of your posts over the years(I think or maybe it just seems like years since you are not exactly Mary Sunshine)....you move to Mandarin?!?! If that is not the biggest WTF, I do not know what is.
Are you a click bot that is designed to make everyone else feel better about our lives?

You cannot be real.

Yeah, but isn't Mandarin informally known as the "Oklahoma City of Florida"?
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2019, 08:46:00 AM »

You cannot be real.

Yeah, but isn't Mandarin informally known as the "Oklahoma City of Florida"?

Call it a day. You just won the internet for today as far as I am concerned.

civil42806

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2019, 09:23:04 AM »
By the way, I find Mandarin to be a disaster.  San Jose Blvd south of Baymeadows is a squandered opportunity and the poster-child of cheap neon.  No one ever thought to give Mandarin a true Main Street...a gathering place...a walkable cluster or core?

I just moved to Mandarin - it sucks.  There are so few roads that connect the area it is no wonder traffic sucks.  Know how many roads connect between Southside Blvd and San Jose?  Answer: 1.

Losco should have been extended to connect to the southern end of Southside Blvd., Shad connect to the Southside Connector and Sunbeam to Western Lake Dr.

Why the hell did you move there then? 

Charles Hunter

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2019, 03:16:40 PM »
Mandarin Express Toll Lanes open Saturday, May 18, tolling starts Monday, May 20
FDOT NE Florida tweet
FDOT is happy to announce the I-295 Express Lanes from I-95 to the Buckman Bridge are opening May 18th. Tolls will be charged only during peak travel times (6A-10A and 3P-7P.)  Non-peak will be free!
From FDOT's Facebook page
FDOT has announced that the Interstate 295 Express Lanes from Interstate 95 to the Buckman Bridge in Jacksonville are scheduled to open this Saturday, May 18. The Express Lanes will use "time of day" tolling that will be implemented during peak travel times Monday through Friday.

Get to Publix or Walgreens or one of the other SunPass retailers to get a transponder.  Go to SunPass.com for info on where to buy, and how to activate, the transponder.  If you don't have a transponder, you will get an invoice for the toll, a $2.50 administrative fee, and $25 violation fee.
Tolls on express lanes are collected electronically. Customers must have an active, properly mounted SunPass or other interoperable transponder (listed online at SunPass.com). Special cameras are placed at each tolling point to capture an image of a vehicle’s license plate if an active transponder is not detected. A violation notice is then mailed to the registered owner of the vehicle that includes all toll charges in the express lanes, plus a $2.50 administrative fee and an additional $25 for each day the vehicle incurs a violation. If the owner does not pay all charges after the second notice, a vehicle license plate registration hold will be established.