Author Topic: Cities and their Brands  (Read 2016 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Cities and their Brands
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2019, 01:31:29 PM »
I like Riverside but I'm failing to see getting into a restaurant or recommending one when visiting is part of a brand or it being easier here.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 11:37:43 AM »
There may be a few things going on here.

a) Is it really city branding?  Is what the author looking at intended to be city branding?  Or is it an extension of corporate recruiting.  When companies are recruiting a talent to move to their city, they're asking them to leave what they know behind.   

If Norfolk Southern is trying to convince a data anaylyst to move from Seattle to Atlanta or Amazon some logistics guru to it's new logistics HQ in Nashville, the point may be to show what's the same.

b) Group think.  Group think plagues all sorts of organizations.  And thanks to the internet the same group think ideas flow in real time.  In urban circles it's especially acute.  There are a a few vocal people with  with a faith-based belief on what makes a good city.     Throw a few of those zealots in the mix pushing for how important XYZ is and you're bound to get the same results. 

People don't like to rock the boat and avoid confrontation.  Next thing you know, the brochures have pictures of 27 year olds at the farmers market with their cruising bikes scooter sharing escooters drinking local beer kombucha chatting about where to get the best sea salt Timut peppercorns.

Kerry

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2019, 11:08:04 AM »
But we are "The bold new city of the South".  It is on our City seal and police cars.  Seriously, how can Jax even begin to brand itself when it can't even figure out what kind of city it wants to be.  Our City Council and Mayor proclaims we want a strong walkable urban core but then approves the exact opposite all the time.

A city is just a means to a way of life.
Third Place

Captain Zissou

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2019, 11:42:58 AM »
But we are "The bold new city of the South".  It is on our City seal and police cars.

Really?  Just making things up for fun now?

jax_hwy_engineer

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 12:39:11 PM »
It's on the police cars because it's within the logo/shield of the JSO, but that phrase is not on the city seal.

"Bold New City of the South" has been around for quite a while, hasn't it?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2019, 12:59:30 PM »
That term came with consolidation.

It's nearing 50 years of age now.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

pierre

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2019, 01:26:23 PM »
I have seen that shot numerous times. I never stop laughing at the older guy in the bottom left.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2019, 01:29:57 PM »
I have seen that shot numerous times. I never stop laughing at the older guy in the bottom left.
He was making sure she didn't fall....obviously.

MusicMan

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2019, 02:57:49 PM »
Lots of good contributions in this thread. Speaking of a "Museum of Southern Rock" or something like that, hard to think of a better location than one of the empty spaces at The Landing.  Would generate some much needed foot traffic, and could also co-ordinate with a monthly live music event there...

Kerry

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2019, 07:16:57 PM »
But we are "The bold new city of the South".  It is on our City seal and police cars.

Really?  Just making things up for fun now?

My mistake - it isn't on the City Seal.
Third Place