Author Topic: Jaguars New Stadium?  (Read 8328 times)

Kerry

Re: Jaguars New Stadium?
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2019, 12:13:56 PM »
Based on comments from friends and family, who are huge Jags fans, this idea is dead on arrival.
Third Place

Charles Hunter

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2019, 02:04:38 PM »
^ Which idea is DOA? There are a few floating around: brand new stadium, putting a roof/sunshade on the existing one, renovating the existing stadium - with or without reducing capacity, and maybe more.

Kerry

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2019, 06:20:32 PM »
All of the above.  The consensus is, "He has billions - pay for it himself."
Third Place

Glenn VL

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2019, 09:49:18 PM »
not sure if this is a "secret of the locals", but buffalos wild wings (regulars call it "BW3", pronounced bee-double-u-threes) shows the jaguars football contests on whoppers of tv screens in the town center. it's a neat place to cheer on the home team with other football fanatics without having to treck downtown to the stadium. and the drumsticks are to die for!  :o :o :o :o :o

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2019, 05:10:59 AM »
not sure if this is a "secret of the locals", but buffalos wild wings (regulars call it "BW3", pronounced bee-double-u-threes) shows the jaguars football contests on whoppers of tv screens in the town center. it's a neat place to cheer on the home team with other football fanatics without having to treck downtown to the stadium. and the drumsticks are to die for!  :o :o :o :o :o

Thanks for the pro tip!
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2019, 09:47:16 AM »
It's not a local secret, Buffalo Wild Wings is a national chain. You don't even have to drive to Town Center to find one locally. There's six of them, including another Southside location at Avenues Mall.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

KenFSU

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2019, 11:12:08 AM »
^But do all six have whoppers of TV screens and drumsticks?

Snaketoz

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2019, 11:13:40 AM »
I hope that if the Jags do build a new stadium they build one that will make the place even louder.  Steeper angles would give the home team an advantage.  Sun shades would be nice too.  It's too hot in early season, especially on the eastside.

billy

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2019, 02:38:10 PM »
Glenn!
A nation turns it’s lonely eyes to you.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2019, 07:23:56 AM »

What consensus? I'd say this: if he wants a new stadium for the ground up then yes. If he wants to renovate another area of the stadium (Press Areas, Suites, etc.) and he presented a cost sharing plan that made sense, then I'm open to the discussion.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2019, 08:01:27 AM »

What consensus?

That of his friends and family.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Kerry

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2019, 09:46:06 AM »

What consensus? I'd say this: if he wants a new stadium for the ground up then yes. If he wants to renovate another area of the stadium (Press Areas, Suites, etc.) and he presented a cost sharing plan that made sense, then I'm open to the discussion.

Cost sharing plan?  Screw that - how about some profit sharing.
Third Place

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2019, 10:04:43 AM »

Cost sharing plan?  Screw that - how about some profit sharing.

Sure, the city had revenue streams tied to the Jaguars and those should continue or be enhanced.

Jagsdrew

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2019, 10:06:40 AM »
The year 2030 isn't that far away.

Why 2030?

That's the year the Jaguars franchise lease ends with the stadium. Should they pick up and move beforehand, that would cost the franchise millions of dollars. I don't think it is in their plans unless the COJ does not support funding completely but that would be the big mistake.

Lamping/Khan have publicly addressed the concerns of the current stadium and have shared their vision which they have been doing for years on the needs to improve the stadium. If nothing is done, in the year 2030, the stadium will be roughly 35-36 years of age which just additions to the north and south end zone, club renovations and video boards to name a few renovations over the years. 

But when looking at other stadiums, significant renovations have been done to extend the life of a stadium:
Arrowhead (KC), Hard Rock (MIA), Mercedes Benz (NO). All were built in the mid-70s/80s.  These renos have added life, value and additional marquee sporting events.

I personally think the COJ and the Jags partner to do extensive renovations to appease the fans needs and extend the life of the stadium for another 15+ years. Extensive in the sense that it would be done over multiple years replacing seats, plumbing/restrooms, concessions, concourse, perimeter, etc. 

A new stadium just doesn't seem to be something that COJ can afford when looking at the most recent stadium builds that cost over $1B.

I'm very curious to see if other stadiums built around the time the Jaguars stadium was built will get either a new stadium or renovations. Those stadiums are M&T Bank (BAL), Raymond James (TB), Nissan Stadium (Nash), FedEx (DC) & First Energy (CLE).

Twitter: @Jagsdrew

Snaketoz

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2019, 10:27:28 AM »
The stadium in Jacksonville wasn't "built" when the other stated stadiums were.  It's actually a re-build of the old municipal stadium or Gator Bowl.