Author Topic: 2019 Mayoral election  (Read 9485 times)

Kiva

Re: 2019 Mayoral election
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2019, 04:03:41 PM »
45 minutes ago I drove through downtown past the new library. The vacant lot/park behind it was teeming with homeless people. It was sad and awful to look at. 

Is there a Mayoral candidate anywhere who can fix that issue?  Or do the Mayoral candidates even see that as an issue?  You wanna see downtown making big strides you have to tackle that problem....

What exaclty is  the issue?   are you looking for an end to homelessness?  something else?
I think the issue is that the city built a "park" right next to Main street, with a lot of vehicles passing it daily, and it is constantly full of homeless people. Anyone going southbound across the Main street bridge sees them, and it contributes to the suburban commuter idea that downtown is unsafe.

acme54321

« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2019, 08:01:28 PM »
The homeless issue downtown seems to have exploded lately.  That park puts it at the forefront.  I don't care if I sound like an ass or whatever but if the city wants to improve the image of downtown they need to address the homeless problem.  The scene at that park is ridiculous.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #107 on: February 18, 2019, 09:59:42 PM »
There's a cause and effect with every move we make. The homeless or vagrant situation hasn't gotten worse. It's just out in the open now that people can see it on Main Street. They should have known things would play out this way when they (1) built a passive park next to Salvation Army and (2) put up fences and pulled up benches to keep people from sitting in Hemming Park. They have no clue what they're doing, which is why money keeps getting spent on things like this particular park. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 10:03:42 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Bill Hoff

« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2019, 10:40:09 PM »
Bill, If that's really the case then the city should put a full service homeless shelter with a work training program (masonry, welding, etc...) out by Cecil Field.

Problem solved.

You're right.

It really is as simple as deconsolidating all the major shelters in Northeast FL & Southeast GA from Downtown Jax, and spread them out a bit.

Homeless people don't have an affinity for tall buildings, and very few became homeless in 32202. They're sent to Downtown Jax because that's where the services are.

Heck, City Rescue Mission (next to Rosa Parks bus station) actually has homeless folks bussed IN TO the city from other cities & states to fill their beds. They have a network of religious orgs that feed them people from all over the Southeast.

Related:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/las-homeless-surge-puts-hollywoods-progressive-ideals-test-1174599

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/22/us/surge-in-homelessness-tests-wisconsin-capitals-welcoming-spirit.html

If you build it / provide it, they will come.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2019, 09:44:17 AM »
45 minutes ago I drove through downtown past the new library. The vacant lot/park behind it was teeming with homeless people. It was sad and awful to look at. 

So sorry you were subjected to that.  You must be traumatized. [\s]

MusicMan

« Reply #110 on: February 19, 2019, 03:09:50 PM »
I feel sorry for them, yes. But since one of the core purposes of this website is to discuss ideas to improve quality of life in the urban core I was curious about the homeless problem. Lake makes a great point, when it's out in the open you begin to realize the scope of it. I guess I'm of the opinion a better solution to this problem (homelessness) might serve all of us better than corporate welfare like subsidizing stuff for Shad Khan at the stadium.

downtownbrown

« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2019, 02:23:50 PM »
apples and oranges.  If you mean use development money to better serve the homeless, you'll end up with a lot more homeless people downtown. If you use development money for development, you'll get more, er, development...

MusicMan

« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2019, 07:48:05 PM »
What I had in mind was a way to get the homeless people who have a real desire to NOT BE HOMELESS enough job training that they can get a job and sustain themselves, and the one who do not want to work (and many fall under this heading) a safe place to do nothing. Just not in the heart of downtown.

Therefore a full service homeless shelter with job training out by Cecil Field. If it cost $25 million to create and it works (keeps  most homeless folks out of downtown and places the ones who want to work into a job) then that would be money well spent.  This won't "solve the problem" but I think it could really help. There has to be a working model of this concept somewhere, and there are acres and acres of empty property out by Cecil Field.

I like the stadium scoreboards but if you gave me a choice between a consistent loser and big scoreboards and a consistent winner and small scoreboards I'd take the second choice.  Having big video boards did not impact the quality of the product on the field.  Having a well functioning homeless center outside of town might improve quality of life for everyone who lives and works downtown.

RattlerGator

« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2019, 08:41:03 AM »
You could perhaps start, MusicMan, by being more honest. Many of the homeless, likely most, will tell you *themselves* that the desire to NOT BE HOMELESS is *not* uppermost in their minds. There are a multiplicity of reasons they give for being homeless and I assure you the desire to not be homeless is trumped -- significantly -- by those multiplicities because so many of them have mental issues, anti-social issues, logic issues, etc. They have *chosen* to be homeless, no matter how much that assaults your sensitivities.

Bill Hoff made the correct point.

Snaketoz

« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2019, 08:58:22 AM »
You could perhaps start, MusicMan, by being more honest. Many of the homeless, likely most, will tell you *themselves* that the desire to NOT BE HOMELESS is *not* uppermost in their minds. There are a multiplicity of reasons they give for being homeless and I assure you the desire to not be homeless is trumped -- significantly -- by those multiplicities because so many of them have mental issues, anti-social issues, logic issues, etc. They have *chosen* to be homeless, no matter how much that assaults your sensitivities.

Bill Hoff made the correct point.
I agree with some of your points, but I think some are contradictory.  To say "they have *chosen* to be homeless", and say "so many of them have mental issues" is just that.  Some are just sorry, and some have issues beyond their control.  Regardless of the reason for their situation, something needs to be done.  I don't know what the solution to this problem is, but we need to work on it as much as we work on arming the world.

MusicMan

« Reply #115 on: February 25, 2019, 05:53:32 PM »
RG you are implying I am being dishonest. WTF are you talking about? I'm putting forth a very basic proposal to alleviate a big nasty issue downtown.  Bill Hoff and I are not in disagreement.

And Snaketoz, yes I agree with you 100%:  "Regardless for the reason for their situation, something needs to be done."  And I commented on this thread in hopes a Mayoral candidates debate might put this issue out there. It just does not appear to be on their radar....

Snaketoz

« Reply #116 on: February 26, 2019, 10:00:13 PM »
Things I've learned about politics in Jacksonville: 

1. Never vote for a candidate endorsed by the Police and Fire Departments

2.  Whomever has the most money for TV and print ads, tells the most lies.

3. Never believe anything you read or see in print ads and TV commercials.

4. Anything done "without raising taxes" will spell doom on the upkeep of things done previously.

5.  Very few large projects are done by the private sector.  Things get done by the taxpayers via grants, giveaways, and free rides.

6.  Having the backing of either major political party has little to do with a candidates' worthiness.

7.  To most in power, solutions are not the answer.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2019, 10:51:44 PM »
Pretty good summary.

Snaketoz

« Reply #118 on: March 02, 2019, 05:39:56 PM »
I'm afraid Jacksonville is losing it's checks and balances.  It seems the mayor's seat and most of the council is now composed of GOP backed puppets that all think the same.  This should worry everyone.  The mayor, district attorney, council, JEA, Sheriff's Dept., Tax Dept., Elections, etc. are all of the same cloth.  City Hall is now allowing evangelicals to hold prayer meetings in City Hall (OK'd by council president).  We need some balance!  Even Tommy Hazouri, a "progressive democrat", has betrayed his base and switched over to the power of money.  (There must be a quid pro quo there) Remember this on election day.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #119 on: March 02, 2019, 11:10:36 PM »