Author Topic: 2019 Mayoral election  (Read 2998 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: 2019 Mayoral election
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 04:21:23 PM »
I don't live in Jax, so can't really gauge, but what's people's perception of the state of the state there.  The unemployment rate is certainly quite low.  There's construction, although it appears unevenly distributed and the biggest examples of it appear to be road projects, but is there the sense that things are abuzz in Jax.  Are the good times rolling?  When I'm there, it feels quite slow and stagnant.  More so than it did back in the early 2000s, when I did live there (or close by whilst attending UF).
to me the short answer is no.  But that may change on January 20th when the courthouse annex is imploded.  Cranes in the air on Berkman, J lot, ramps...all of that will move the needle.  In my view things like the Trio and the Ambassador just aren't exciting the imagination of Jacksonville at the moment.

To be honest, I seriously doubt much of Jacksonville is going to get excited about the courthouse being imploded (other than the few seconds the implosion actually happens), Berkman or a strip mall in the stadium parking lot either. Overall downtown's needle won't move until the core of it is visually vibrant. Although we officially call downtown everything from Brooklyn to the stadium and the Southbank, deep down everyone knows the only realistic walkable setting within the CBD is the real one on the Northbank. Until there's storefronts open at night and sidewalks filled with activity seven days a week, downtown will have a sleepy image.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Kiva

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2019, 09:31:59 PM »
I used to respect each of those council members.
"She now wants to spread this negativity citywide."  Uh, who was running negative ads against Council Member Brosche, even before she qualified to run for Mayor?
Exactly!

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 09:33:42 AM »
The divisiveness and partisanship that Curry has brought was exactly what I expected from someone that had no experience in politics, except as a party hack.  Peyton was similar albeit not as extreme.

Brosche should prepare for an onslaught of mud, headed her way. I hope she has been laying the groundwork for this campaign for awhile, otherwise she is going to be caught flat footed.   

I believe she has. She does not do anything without thoughtful planning and full preparation. Honestly, I am quite impressed with her courage here. I used to sort of view her as someone who was a front runner. Calculated, methodical, but for the sake of ensuring each move she made was a winning move. This step has to be viewed as a major uphill battle, so I am impressed that she would, after all her thoughtful consideration, be willing to fight this fight. Impressed and proud.

I used to respect each of those council members.
"She now wants to spread this negativity citywide."  Uh, who was running negative ads against Council Member Brosche, even before she qualified to run for Mayor? (and I really hope the Jeopardy! folks slap Curry's folks down hard for copyright, or whatever, infringement)

The exact comment I was about to make...so instead I second yours! What a joke! (Yes I am biased but certainly not wrong)

Snaketoz

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2019, 11:19:01 AM »
I would love to see a ground swell of repudiation of Curry's dirty ads and money.  Running attack ads before a candidate even enters the race is a sure sign Curry has too much money.  Love to see the underdog win this one.

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2019, 09:19:21 PM »
Proposing that we just clear the lot the landing is on for just grass is enough to get me to vote against him.
"If it was that bad she would have reported it" Donald Trump

I-10east

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2019, 09:38:52 PM »
Curry was way too overly eager to attack Brosche before she even announce her running for the mayor. It doesn't get anymore dirty mud-slinging than that. That being said, Brosche's name sound too much like an expensive French pastry for me (JK). Seriously, she's way too left for me to consider voting for (like nearly all Democrats these days; it hasn't always been like that). Moderate Democrats are basically a thing of the past.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 09:42:19 PM by I-10east »

jaxnyc79

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2019, 09:41:35 PM »
Curry was way too overly eager to attack Brosche before she even announce her running for the mayor. It doesn't get anymore dirty mud-slinging than that. That being said, Brosche's name sound to much like an expensive French pastry for me (JK). Seriously, she's way to left for me to consider voting for (like nearly all Democrats these days; it hasn't always been like that). Moderate Democrats are basically a thing of the past.

Isn't she a registered republican and running as a republican?  You're not looking for a moderate...you're a right-winger and won't own it.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2019, 09:56:14 PM »
You're not looking for a moderate...you're a right-winger and won't own it.

Yes she is a republican running as a republican. I-10, how exactly is she a leftist?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

I-10east

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2019, 10:07:50 PM »
Jaxnyc, many of her positions are so to the left, I thought that she was a Democrat, my bad. I'm not a fan of wasting money trying to erase history with taking down statues for virtue signal points. Concerning furthering LGBT agenda, I'm cool with, as long as it's nothing too loony like losing your job, or going to jail for accidentally misgendering someone.

If you wanna call me a right winger for not obeying the San Francisco/Silicon Valley pernicious agenda (like muh toxic masculinity)  then fine. Was I a 'right winger' before I made the mistake of voting for the most divisive president in modern US history (Obama) twice? Everyone outside of UC Berkeley is a 'right winger' these days....

marcuscnelson

• Generation Z - Totally Screwed
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2019, 01:41:23 AM »
Voting for Obama doesn't magically make you a progressive. It just means you voted for Obama. And given the multiple insults you gave just in the process of saying you voted for Obama, whether or not you voted for him matters even less.

Just for clarity, can you clarify which positions of hers are somehow on the left? The Democrats didn't even bother to put up a candidate for this race, so I don't understand.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2019, 03:52:44 AM »
Curry was way too overly eager to attack Brosche before she even announce her running for the mayor. It doesn't get anymore dirty mud-slinging than that. That being said, Brosche's name sound too much like an expensive French pastry for me (JK). Seriously, she's way too left for me to consider voting for (like nearly all Democrats these days; it hasn't always been like that). Moderate Democrats are basically a thing of the past.

It does sound a bit like "brioche". Not really fancy - just a bun. But I totally get it!
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2019, 05:54:42 AM »
Jaxnyc, many of her positions are so to the left, I thought that she was a Democrat, my bad. I'm not a fan of wasting money trying to erase history with taking down statues for virtue signal points. Concerning furthering LGBT agenda, I'm cool with, as long as it's nothing too loony like losing your job, or going to jail for accidentally misgendering someone.

If you wanna call me a right winger for not obeying the San Francisco/Silicon Valley pernicious agenda (like muh toxic masculinity)  then fine. Was I a 'right winger' before I made the mistake of voting for the most divisive president in modern US history (Obama) twice? Everyone outside of UC Berkeley is a 'right winger' these days....
Are you a fan of wasting $400 million to replace a perfectly fine jail or $8 million to blow up buildings for the hell of it? Coming from an independent, those don't sound like fiscally conservative expenditures either.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2019, 07:21:16 AM »
My biggest issues with Brosche is so far, her campaign is, "Curry Sucks". I need more than that.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2019, 08:19:13 AM »
My biggest issues with Brosche is so far, her campaign is, "Curry Sucks". I need more than that.

Exactly... Lemme hear something substantial...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Westside Guy

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2019, 09:05:24 AM »

Exactly... Lemme hear something substantial...

She definitely needs to expound upon what she wants to do, but she has thrown out some good ideas already. Most important I think is she understands that solving the crime problem in Jacksonville takes more that just throwing a bunch of money at JSO. She wants to take a more community based approach to crime that could be more effective. She also mentioned zero based budgeting, and I would like to here her say more about that idea and how it would be implemented.