Author Topic: Plans for Mixed-Use Laura Street Project Take Shape  (Read 1807 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Plans for Mixed-Use Laura Street Project Take Shape
« on: December 11, 2018, 08:48:28 AM »

225 North Laura Street's proposed facade improvements are now prepared for potential Downtown Development Review Board (DDRB) conceptual and final review approval on Thursday, December 13th. The Jaxson takes a look at the adaptive reuse project along the revitalizing Laura Street corridor.

Full article: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/plans-for-mixed-use-laura-street-project-take-shape/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Captain Zissou

Re: Plans for Mixed-Use Laura Street Project Take Shape
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 10:10:42 AM »
This looks great. I wish Ron great success, but I'm still bummed he won the bidding war.

KenFSU

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 02:57:20 PM »
Looks great!

Side question that I think I've asked before, but I still can't get a good answer on.

With all the improvements along Laura Street in the last couple of years, why are we still looking at this tattered, blank billboard right across from the City Hall, the Main Library, and Hemming Park?

I assume there's some goofy ordinance or another preventing it from being used for advertising, but why can't we get some public art, a Jacksonville sign, or even a Jags logo or something slapped up there?

It's pure visual blight at one of the most strategically important intersections in all of downtown.

ralpho37

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 06:54:56 PM »
KenFSU... Thank you for bringing this up. So much of downtown just looks run down and trashy. I can't believe the City allows type of thing to remain as is.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 06:57:35 PM »
To be honest, I'd rather it stay than get taken down.  I wouldn't be surprised if we have signage regulations on the books that keep it from being used. Yet, it is a relic of the past and "historic" in its own right.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxjags

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 12:06:19 AM »
Then please repaint it.

KenFSU

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 10:56:49 AM »
To be honest, I'd rather it stay than get taken down.  I wouldn't be surprised if we have signage regulations on the books that keep it from being used. Yet, it is a relic of the past and "historic" in its own right.

I wouldn't want to see it come down either, it adds a lot of character to that corner.

But how hard/expensive is it to just throw a JAX up there or something?

It's right across the street from our primary visitor's center.

Right in front of the museum and Main Library.

You could eliminate the blight/broken window effect and turn it into a somewhat inconic photo op for a thousand bucks.

Seems like such an obvious thing to correct, and it just drives me nuts staring at this thing every day.

Downtown Osprey

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 11:08:01 AM »
Didn't they have something on the sign during One Spark a few years ago?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 11:32:57 AM »
You could eliminate the blight/broken window effect and turn it into a somewhat inconic photo op for a thousand bucks.

Seems like such an obvious thing to correct, and it just drives me nuts staring at this thing every day.

Sort of like the one-way streets, archaic zoning regulations and lack of bike infrastructure. Sure, it's an obvious thing to correct but that's no fun. It's easier to figure out how to move the jail and one up Sleiman. ;)

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 03:04:06 PM »

I wouldn't want to see it come down either, it adds a lot of character to that corner.

Signage laws are preventing the 're-use' of that billboard.

In the late 1980's, Jacksonville voters overwhelmingly approved a series of sign law reforms... and throughout the preceding decades a series of new signage restrictions have been slowly codified in the land use code. It is my understanding that the billboard is no longer grandfathered in as an approved billboard site under the new Code.

While this resulted in a significant reduction in billboards throughout town, and the virtual elimination of many of the temporary signage that littered parking lots on commercial properties throughout the city... an unfortunate (perhaps?) unintended consequence was the elimination of many of the marquee signs that gave downtown a certain big city feel.  Those sign laws have also contributed to hiding many ground-level retail storefronts downtown.  As outdoor signage cannot exceed 10% of a building's facade... many office towers that have marquee signage at the top of the buildings (visible to passing motorists on I-95/I-10) are not permitted to have retail signage for tenants as they have exceeded their facade coverage.  There really should be two sets of standards... one specifically for ground floor tenants, and one for top-level 'naming rights' signage.

Shaun Thurston painted a rogue 'mural' on the sign during One Spark... which violated the City's signage code, and was removed after the conclusion of the event.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 03:19:58 PM »
lol... well it is pointed right at City Hall...  8)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Charles Hunter

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 04:56:53 PM »

Sort of like the one-way streets, archaic zoning regulations and lack of bike infrastructure. Sure, it's an obvious thing to correct but that's no fun. It's easier to figure out how to move the jail and one up Sleiman. ;)

Hmmmm - your last sentence may be Lenny's next step - move the jail to the public space owned by the City in the middle of the Landing!  ;-)

KenFSU

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2018, 09:11:12 AM »

Signage laws are preventing the 're-use' of that billboard.

In the late 1980's, Jacksonville voters overwhelmingly approved a series of sign law reforms... and throughout the preceding decades a series of new signage restrictions have been slowly codified in the land use code. It is my understanding that the billboard is no longer grandfathered in as an approved billboard site under the new Code.

While this resulted in a significant reduction in billboards throughout town, and the virtual elimination of many of the temporary signage that littered parking lots on commercial properties throughout the city... an unfortunate (perhaps?) unintended consequence was the elimination of many of the marquee signs that gave downtown a certain big city feel.  Those sign laws have also contributed to hiding many ground-level retail storefronts downtown.  As outdoor signage cannot exceed 10% of a building's facade... many office towers that have marquee signage at the top of the buildings (visible to passing motorists on I-95/I-10) are not permitted to have retail signage for tenants as they have exceeded their facade coverage.  There really should be two sets of standards... one specifically for ground floor tenants, and one for top-level 'naming rights' signage.

Shaun Thurston painted a rogue 'mural' on the sign during One Spark... which violated the City's signage code, and was removed after the conclusion of the event.

Great info, thanks Mike!!!

Zac T

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2021, 10:37:58 PM »
Update on Ron Chamblin's plans although there's a paywall. I see the back of that building every day from the Carling garage and there's a lot of damage from being exposed to the elements. Would love to see this building brought back to life.

Despite delays due to engineering and structural issues, Ron Chamblin’s plans to build apartments and a restaurant next to his downtown bookstore and coffee shop are getting back on track.

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2021/03/04/despite-delays-chamblins-downtown-mixed-use.html