Author Topic: Food court at the Landing closed...  (Read 6875 times)

Bill Hoff

Re: Food court at the Landing closed...
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2019, 12:23:08 AM »
Benny's Seafood and Steak has closed.

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2019/01/10/the-landing-loses-another-tenant.html?iana=hpmvp_jac_news_headline
According to this article, Benny's had not paid rent since 2012. How could you go under if you pay no rent for 9 years? Incredible! Only in Jacksonville. I want a place that will rent free to me for 9 years!
 https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2019/02/15/jacksonville-landing-owners-sue-bennys-steak.html?iana=hpmvp_jac_news_headline

The business owner and landlord had an arrangement, as other businesses have had there. When that arrangement was no longer attractive to the landlord, it was ended.

jagsonville

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2019, 01:58:13 PM »
Well something is happening with the landing, curry posted a picture with sleiman on twitter...

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2019, 02:08:11 PM »
Well something is happening with the landing, curry posted a picture with sleiman on twitter...

Promises from Curry until the election is over, then 4 years of bullcrap after? Hope I'm wrong.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2019, 03:04:17 PM »
Take this for whatever its worth!

Jacksonville, Florida, February 20, 2019 – For decades, the location of the Jacksonville Landing has served as a central fixture in the city’s downtown. As the future of downtown continues to be envisioned, it is important for stakeholders to always consider new possibilities. With that in mind, Jacksonville Landing Investments (JLI) and Mayor Curry on behalf of Jacksonville have entered into a Settlement Agreement for the terms by which the Jacksonville Landing and the property at its location would see their best and highest use realized. Both parties agree that with the future of Jacksonville shining so bright, now is the time to forge this path forward.

“For years, Jacksonville Landing Investments and Sleiman Enterprises have contributed immeasurably to development and job creation in and around Jacksonville,” said Mayor Lenny Curry. “The Landing has been a fixture in the community much like the Sleiman organization, who stepped in at a time when the property’s future was in doubt upon the exit of the original developer. On behalf of the citizens of Jacksonville, I appreciate their willingness to work with me so that Jacksonville can consider an alternate path forward for the location of the Landing.”

“Mayor Curry is having success in Jacksonville and in downtown,” said Toney Sleiman on behalf of JLI. “The JLI team and the entire Sleiman organization want to see that success continue and we are ready to see this process come to a mutually agreed conclusion.”

Pending the presentation of the settlement agreement, all parties have agreed that this will be the only statement outside of legal proceedings regarding the Landing and the adjoining land parcels.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

KenFSU

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2019, 03:31:17 PM »
Who would have thought it.

Thoughts on the wording of the release?

« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 03:34:49 PM by KenFSU »

KenFSU

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2019, 03:36:26 PM »
NO NO NO NO NO NO.

This doesn't sound good.

The city is paying Sleiman out, $15 million, for full rights to the property.

PLUS, $1.5 million to tenants for lease termination and relocation.

This sounds like a $16.5 million public bulldoze to me :(

Edit: $1.5 million to demolish the landing.

$18 million in public money to destroy an iconic downtown building.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 03:46:15 PM by KenFSU »

Josh

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2019, 03:53:02 PM »
Terrible idea.

Westside Guy

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2019, 04:06:33 PM »
I guess they think it would compete with the shiny new Lot J renderings and we can’t have that. Maybe one day we will actually build something in this city instead of tearing things down.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2019, 04:16:14 PM »
Where will tufsu eat dinner now!?

This is monstrously dumb.  It will also hurt DVI's stats that they post every year.  A good 10-20 of the downtown restaurants and bars they list as an asset to downtown were in this building

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2019, 04:19:23 PM »
So silly. $18 million to raze when the plan was $12 million in incentives to raze and rebuild a couple of years ago. Still no word on how many more millions for a park for it's replacement and for Lot J to get off the ground a mile away. I'll repeat it, we really don't have a clue about revitalization. But we'll light millions on fire in the process.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

KenFSU

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2019, 04:26:00 PM »
https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/city-agrees-to-take-back-jacksonville-landing-in-dollar18-million-deal

Paying the tab for businesses to relocate out of downtown.

That's a new one.

#Jacksonville

Captain Zissou

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2019, 04:33:12 PM »
This makes me want to post a Kerry-esque negative rant.  I thought JEA to Lot J was going to be the boondoggle of the year, but this might take the cake. 

Sleiman paid ~$5M back in the day and ~$100k a year for 15 years.  He is making 150% profit for allowing the Landing to go downhill and the city is footing the bill.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2019, 04:38:43 PM »
^Does this include the millions involved with the east parking lot? What are the chances that council has a backbone and says no to this ridiculous deal?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 04:40:40 PM by thelakelander »

vicupstate

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2019, 04:40:53 PM »
Sleiman paid ~$5M back in the day and ~$100k a year for 15 years.  He is making 150% profit for allowing the Landing to go downhill and the city is footing the bill.

Actually he paid $5.7 mm to be exact but I don't think he has paid ANY rent. As long as the long promised parking wasn't being provided, he was not obligated to pay. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

vicupstate

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2019, 04:42:29 PM »
^Does this include the millions involved with the east parking lot? What are the chances that council has a backbone and says no to this ridiculous deal?

If I understood correctly, the litigation over the East lot is not affected by this agreement. 

In 2015 the city sued JLI for failing to close on a $4.7 million purchase and sale agreement for what is referred to as the East Parcel, a surface level parking lot next to the Landing.

As of Wednesday, a two-day nonjury trial in the 4th Judicial Circuit Court was still scheduled for July 29-30.

According to a copy of the settlement, “for avoidance of doubt, this Agreement does not address JLI’s claims for repayment of amounts paid by it to the City in contemplation of JLI’s possible acquisition of that property known as the East Parcel.”
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln